This poor Husky36

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the meantime, strip it down, clean it up. Get rid of all the fine dust and oil crud built up inside and the saw will thank you for it, keep the coil clean and strip/clean out then kit the carb.
Looks like it might have done a lot of dull chain cutting and created a lot more fine dust than wood chips- not uncommon with a homeowner saw.
Sounds like a solid plan! thanks.
Not sure what to do with the "burn" under the muffler. Perhaps just clean it best possible.

Sounds like a solid plan! thanks.
Not sure what to do with the "burn" under the muffler. Perhaps just clean it best possible.

The burn is probably part of the equation of your missing parts culminated with the oily fine sawdust caked everywhere.
Dull chain, forced cutting, overworked small saw, muffler bolts rattle loose and hot muffler sits on oil tank.
Bit of a scrape down with a knife blade, bit of sandpaper maybe- dress it up a little, but don't get carried away and sand into the oil tank!

Yeah, I did check it.
It does hold both oil and fuel, even with the damage/burn.

Ah, no, that front one is for bar oil only- the rear most tank is for the fuel mix.
You may find there is a hole melted through into the oil tank and it now leaks- that will help explain he oily mess the saw is coated in.

Ah, no, that front one is for bar oil only- the rear most tank is for the fuel mix.
You may find there is a hole melted through into the oil tank and it now leaks- that will help explain he oily mess the saw is coated in.
Hehe, no what I meant was. I tested the oil tank (front one), with chain oil, and also the fuel tank (with fuel), just to make sure both were intakt.
Did not want to start working on this saw if it was leaking all over.

Look what I just found in my...junk box :blob2:

Attachments

• DSC_1283.JPG
    DSC_1283.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 14
update.

Some feedback on this issue here? (see link to video)
Is this normal "play" or do I have some bad bearings or similar issue?

Thanks!

update.

Some feedback on this issue here? (see link to video)
Is this normal "play" or do I have some bad bearings or similar issue?

Thanks!

Not sure I'd call that normal.
Probably the result of the crank being a little worn & the bearings not being snug on it. Seen plenty of the smaller/cheaper saws where the bearings aren't a tight fit on the crank & it doesn't seam to be an issue.
I'd definitely worry about it if there was any vertical play or it leaks vac/pressure

The question is can it hold a pressure/vac test. Also is it the bearings sliding around (slop in the bearings from being burned up) or is it the crank loose in the bearings, and without removing the seals it would be hard to tell.
Like someone said before, from the looks of all the fine powder the saw was probably run hot with a dull chain which could have taken out the seals (reason for pressure/vac test but I would have expected to seen damage to the piston if it was run lean) and I'm not sure if those saws had nylon cage bearings or not but could be the reason for the side play. From what I can see in the pic the piston looks clean so I'm guessing the saw was not straight gassed, so that wouldn't be the reason for the bearings going if it is actually the bearings that have the play in them.
I'm fixing a little 235 right now that a co-worker brought to me, bad primer bulb that I replaced, a ton of saw dust in the fuel tank, clogged fuel filter so I replaced that and the carb is clogged up as well so I ordered a china special replacement carb (if it was my saw I would have cleaned and rebuilt the OEM carb), bar is burned up, oil port was clogged with saw dust, and the chain was on backwards. There's no way I was going to invest much time into HIS saw since he obviously wasn't going to maintain it. He also has a Homelite and a Poulan that in in pretty much the same condition but I won't be working on them to get them back in running shape since I already know it would be futile.

just a minor update, closer look at the piston from both sides.

Sure looks good...question is, should I take clamshall apart and replace. Not sure at this point. :)

Attachments

• DSC_1324.JPG
    DSC_1324.JPG
    389.5 KB · Views: 8
  • DSC_1326.JPG
    DSC_1326.JPG
    490.5 KB · Views: 7
The question is can it hold a pressure/vac test. Also is it the bearings sliding around (slop in the bearings from being burned up) or is it the crank loose in the bearings, and without removing the seals it would be hard to tell.
Like someone said before, from the looks of all the fine powder the saw was probably run hot with a dull chain which could have taken out the seals (reason for pressure/vac test but I would have expected to seen damage to the piston if it was run lean) and I'm not sure if those saws had nylon cage bearings or not but could be the reason for the side play. From what I can see in the pic the piston looks clean so I'm guessing the saw was not straight gassed, so that wouldn't be the reason for the bearings going if it is actually the bearings that have the play in them.
I'm fixing a little 235 right now that a co-worker brought to me, bad primer bulb that I replaced, a ton of saw dust in the fuel tank, clogged fuel filter so I replaced that and the carb is clogged up as well so I ordered a china special replacement carb (if it was my saw I would have cleaned and rebuilt the OEM carb), bar is burned up, oil port was clogged with saw dust, and the chain was on backwards. There's no way I was going to invest much time into HIS saw since he obviously wasn't going to maintain it. He also has a Homelite and a Poulan that in in pretty much the same condition but I won't be working on them to get them back in running shape since I already know it would be futile.
Think my pictures show that this saw has just seen abuse, but not been ruined inside.
I did find some weird "stuff" that sat between the oilgear and the black plate that covers the oil seal/bearings (sorta the same you find between clutch drums and eclips to avoid "play".
I wonder if that stuff is placed there from factory to avoid the "play"?
There is zero play in the shaft "up and down".

MartDalb , I have seen a dust washer that was like felt with a plastic stick on backing behind the oil pump drive gear on a 1999 Poulan 2025 36cc saw .
I looked at the Husqvarna 36 1997 ipl but it does not show a dust seal .
Do you know what year your saw was manufactured .

just a minor update, closer look at the piston from both sides.

Sure looks good...question is, should I take clamshall apart and replace. Not sure at this point. :)

My theory is if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. If the saw is running well and sustains power when cutting I wouldn’t touch anything.

MartDalb , I have seen a dust washer that was like felt with a plastic stick on backing behind the oil pump drive gear on a 1999 Poulan 2025 36cc saw .
I looked at the Husqvarna 36 1997 ipl but it does not show a dust seal .
Do you know what year your saw was manufactured .
Plate says. (Sorry hard to read) 21700202

Which still does not tell me when this saw is from :laugh:.

Attachments

• DSC_1333.JPG
    DSC_1333.JPG
    753.5 KB · Views: 5

Latest posts

Back