This will be a really big chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Even though I'm all about cutting things with whatever, that just sounds like a horrible idea.
I do have to wonder about what this "cutting chain" of theirs looks like. I would imagine some sort of carbide affair.

I have seen several ships that had sunk in deep water salvaged by cutting them into manageable sections. They use a heavy cable that has round carbide sections that slip on over the cable, maybe 6 -8" long and 3-4" in diameter. The cable is slipped under the ship and then pulled one way, pulled back, back and forth with tremendous tension on the cable . It cuts slowly but steadily until each section is freed from the ship, then lifted to the surface. Ok, the link below contains the cable rig, they did it a different cutting from top to bottom but the same idea, skip to 17 mins in and that is about where the cutting rig begins,

It’s used to cut up ships. It was used to cut up that Russian sub that sank.

Imagine if they hit one of those new torpedos?

Brave men died on that day may Godbless them.

I remember when the Kursk sank and was cut up on the ocean floor.
The big reason for the recovery was to recover the nuclear warheads that were inside it.
Crazy thing sunk because of a hydrogen peroxide leak if I am not mistaken

Amazing

I have seen several ships that had sunk in deep water salvaged by cutting them into manageable sections. They use a heavy cable that has round carbide sections that slip on over the cable, maybe 6 -8" long and 3-4" in diameter. The cable is slipped under the ship and then pulled one way, pulled back, back and forth with tremendous tension on the cable . It cuts slowly but steadily until each section is freed from the ship, then lifted to the surface. Ok, the link below contains the cable rig, they did it a different cutting from top to bottom but the same idea, skip to 17 mins in and that is about where the cutting rig begins,

As an engineer this is fascinating to watch. The technology in the machines and complexity and software that had to be special purpose built was amazing

Latest posts

Back