Thoughts on building a modded homelite XL-1

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dandezinna33

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I’m new to this site! I came here looking for some good input and suggestions on building a modded XL-1. I had ideas about getting a tuned pipe built in addition to some
Porting and different carb! I would appreciate any advice!

Thanks,
Dan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do it......enlarge the opening on muffler. Some mufflers have baffles on the outside....chop off the extra bits. Put on a larger carb. I went 1 size larger. Used a carb from an echo 660 which required me to tap into the intake block for a vacuum signal. There should be some McCulloch saws from the 1980,s? That are 1 size larger venturi and take the vacuum signal from the intake block. Less work that way.

Then change the chain pitch to 3/8 lo-pro or 0.325.

See where that gets you.

Do it......enlarge the opening on muffler. Some mufflers have baffles on the outside....chop off the extra bits. Put on a larger carb. I went 1 size larger. Used a carb from an echo 660 which required me to tap into the intake block for a vacuum signal. There should be some McCulloch saws from the 1980,s? That are 1 size larger venturi and take the vacuum signal from the intake block. Less work that way.

Then change the chain pitch to 3/8 lo-pro or 0.325.

See where that gets you.

Thank you so much for the tips!!! Those are the first two things I’m going to do! How hard was is it to tap into the Intake block!? Could you post some pics of how you did it!!??

The vacuum signal passes through the top of the intake block, I used a small drill bit to drill into it on the top and then slowly step up the drill size to match the pipe or bung size that you,ll be inserting. I stole a fuel inlet from a junk carb and used that. Grind the insertion end at a 45 degree angle so it will pick up vacuum signal if it bottoms out. Then it acts like a newer carb with external vacuum line. Can seal it with whatever you want.....jb weld , silicon carne etc. I had to notch the carb box for the fuel inlet that I jammed in the intake block.

But it's less work if you find a bigger carb that takes vacuum signal from the intake block.

Can't post pics from my phone for some reason.....it downloads the pic 100% then draws a line through the photo name and will not post.

Vid of it running

Carb from a mcculloch timber bear may work better , I think it has same vacuum location as the stock carb and a venturi that is most likely larger. I have not verified that.

Vid of it running

Carb from a mcculloch timber bear may work better , I think it has same vacuum location as the stock carb and a venturi that is most likely larger. I have not verified that.

That thing is a beast!!!!! I can’t wait to do mine now!

Walbr HDB is what I put on there. I havent tried anything larger. The pipe muffler idea may be the jam. Havent tried that yet either. Seen internet pics of shorty exhaust pipe.....maybe 5" long.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200404-013349_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20200404-013349_YouTube.jpg
    532.5 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot_20200404-013343_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20200404-013343_YouTube.jpg
    534 KB · Views: 10
Walbr HDB is what I put on there. I havent tried anything larger. The pipe muffler idea may be the jam. Havent tried that yet either. Seen internet pics of shorty exhaust pipe.....maybe 5" long.

I just looked at the walbro HBD! I think that’s going to be what I do! I’m pretty mechanical so it shouldn’t be too difficult to add a vacuum line! And I’ve been looking at pipe options! I maybe thought about going with a 50cc scooter expansion chamber! I found one eBay cheap
844fef224caa3f619b8290f1c9d42faf.jpg

Interesting choices! Walbr HDB sounds like a solid option. The potential of a pipe muffler or a shorty exhaust pipe adds an intriguing twist. Experimenting with these variations could unlock the perfect setup.Fm Whatsapp

Back