Thoughts on Makita EA6100PRGG compared to Stihl 261

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you are young and even reasonably strong, go for the 60cc saw with 18 or 20" bar, and maybe an additional 24" to be used infequently. When you get the saw stuck, "When", that is. You will need another bar and chain. Inboard clutch, no question.

I believe this will be your only saw?

The 60cc saw will pretty much destroy the 50cc saw in very much the same magnitude as a 70cc vs a 60cc when bucking 20" wood. Or even 10" wood, although chain sharpness is key when you get right down to it. 6" wood; no difference.

One saw plan? Young and strong? Occasional 24", mostly 10-20"max?
60cc no question.

I also prefer standard carb.

Me, I buy older, known good models for half price or less than inferior (mostly, imo) new models.
Or, apparently, new Dolmars (Makita) or Echos which, IMO are the best value in new saws.

Don't overlook the Echo cs590. Idk, probably cheaper (unless you buy the higher end 600, or 620 - not sure that upgrade is worth the money to a firewood cutter?)

I've never run a 6100. From what I've read it has a nice motor. I don't doubt that. It's a Dolmar. Only held one once, and for that minute it felt like the most ungainly saw I've ever held. A different minute might be different. I'll hold another someday.

It sounds like you really want a Stihl or Husky. Why not?
you wouldn't be dissatisfied with most any saw, as long as it runs good and cuts.

personally, I stay away from the Autoboom or moronic saws.

less trouble in the long run, possibly? Likely?

if you buy an Echo, tune it. It will almost assuredly come tuned way too lean. You don't want that. The Echo 590 is a 20 minute muffler mod and tune away from being way better than it has a right to be when compared to the cost of the big 2.

I'm no master, but I seem to have acquired several of each 50 and 60cc sizes to have a clue about that.

If you have the means you will fairly quickly have more than one saw.

40-60cc plan or 50-70cc plan???

I'm not particular to any single brand, but have purchased box store equipment before with mixed results. I have a 15 year old Craftsman 46 cc saw that I have serviced myself over the years. Not too heavy, starts fine, but I want something to make the job easier now that I am working at altitude and cutting a lot more wood. I'll keep the Craftsman for yard work.

Latest posts

Back