thoughts on storm damage

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treeman82

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I am just wondering how we all feel about storm damage work? Also ice storms i am curious about.

It can be good work, if you get on it right away. Get a sig and down payment. I've had a number of scheduled jobs get snached up by lowball storm chacers.

I think the best thing to do is lock one job in then let the niegbors watch you work. When you rig stuff out and look like a pro, they will wait for you.

I worked for an aquaintance last year after a big blow. We lost one to some landscrapers while we were on another property, then they perceaded to fell the entire tree, no rope, right on the neighbors fence. Never understand those types. They think it is easier to take it apart on the ground.

I don't mind the work, but I treat it all as high risk. Trees are broken, semi-uprooted,have loaded limbs, etc...and the weather generally still sucks. People are willing to pay to get their driveway opened thats for sure.

I dont know about the rest of you. But us working people pray for storms out west.85 degrees at Christmas time. Darn we dont get bad weather. Where is the darn Earthquake where we all can make some good money.

we had a tornado go right thru town. we have been working off of it for the last 2 months!and will keep working off of it till winter! you have to watch people though, they WILL look at that big insurance check and try to figure out a way to keep it. 1 out of 10 will try it, dont let them get away!

I quite enjoy working on storm damaged trees and windblow, purely for the challenge involved and the solid workload really. I like hard work I suppose.

I enjoy the challenge too, I do hate cutting so many trees down.

One suggestion is to never agree to wait for insurace settlement, get a sig. with agrement of payment on completion. Escpcialy if working for the insurace agent many will try to dicker the price down. Their job is to reduce liability to their underwriters.

If the job is big, have the homeowner check th policy on coveraing debrise cleanup, some have a $500 cap on the comprehensive.

If the insurance only covers removal of damage on the building, they may try to not pay for the chipping. Insist that it has to be cleared from the work area for safety reason.

Always take pictures, a poloroid is cheap cya. (for any removal, I've been tod to take a wrong tree down, and a local Country Club had a contractor remove a wrong tree "hey, that's the one you flagges!" it was a huge willow that was key to play.)

I always call storm damage "emergency work" and do not rake up every pine needle or leaf left on the ground like on a regular removal or prune. This is so I can get to the next job how ever I tell them this before hand so if the want every leaf picked up I sub it to a landscape mantainance contractor.

Latest posts

Back