Thoughts on the new micro processor controlled saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timbo74

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I was just researching new saws, and was blown away to find that some of the new saw offerings from Stihl, and Husqvarna have micro processor controlled tuning...wtf! I can only imagine how this is just a terrible idea. What will it cost to fix when the electronics crap out? They just can't leave well enough alone, can they?

Don't know to much about them. However, I bought my son a Jonsered 2258 (Husky 555) it has the Auto Tune system and it's been fine so far. As with any new technology I guess there were a few problems with some of the first carburetor/fuel systems (??) they used. All set now I've been told.

Don't know anything about Stihl's M-Tronic system. A lot of dealers in my area sell both Stihl and Husky and don't talk down on either system. Others know a lot more about it then I do though.

It's probably going to be on more and more saw as we move forward for emissions and such.

NYH1.

Don't know to much about them. However, I bought my son a Jonsered 2258 (Husky 555) it has the Auto Tune system and it's been fine so far. As with any new technology I guess there were a few problems with some of the first carburetor/fuel systems (??) they used. All set now I've been told.

Don't know anything about Stihl's M-Tronic system. A lot of dealers in my area sell both Stihl and Husky and don't talk down on either system. Others know a lot more about it then I do though.

It's probably going to be on more and more saw as we move forward for emissions and such.

NYH1.
For the most part, I would just be worried about the durability, life span/degradation, reliability, ease of removal/installation and cost of the micro processing unit. I know we are living in 2018...but I just don't think it's a good idea.

I dunno what happens when hackers and Teh Russians® take over our chainsawrs, but as long as they do Emoji Karaoke
happay.gif
I'm OK with it.

Well I guess it just comes down to preference. I guess I would just rather have a saw that I either tune myself, or have somebody tune for $20, then have a saw that is computer controlled, and when said computer fails..and it will, costs possibly hundreds to fix......no thank you.

Back