Thoughts?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I pressure tested the carb and fuel system, holds a steady 9.
Also was able to do a compression test as well, did 3 tests. -135-147-145 Thought not obtaining to bunnies?

Sorry my 02 is you are wasting your time. My 30 plus year 041 probably has 85 LBS and runs great. About 10 years ago I thought this thing pulls pretty easy so should put a new set of rings in it. I am not sure if it has one or two. So I ordered some parts then misplaced them. Anyway replaced the saw with three Husky 460 so have not had much need to mess with it. It had not been touched in five years. One day last summer thought maybe should take the 041 just in case wonder if it Stihl runs. Filled up the tank tugged about ten times and started right up. Just to make sure cut a few limbs laying around. Made three cuts in a 10'' limb and it went through about the same as the 460's. The standard fix is the carburetor. If you turn your L or H out the motor should chug chug and quit. I have gone through Fleabay and looked at the pictures until I found a kit that looks right. Most of the time they work fine. Often $5 with shipping. Since I have many saws I figure it is not a waste. My 056 Stihl has the original carburetor too. Unless they are for sure torn I keep using them. However you need to double check your passage ways to make certain they flow. Put it back together and adjust as needed. If you can turn the screws out three times and it still seems OK then there is your problem. Make some good chips for us. Thanks

You need a woman, Ted.

Of course I need a women. For forty years I have said maybe I should find a women, but now I can not remember why I was looking. I think I would have if they were not so expensive. How else could I afford to drive more than 250,000 miles racing dirt bikes. Thanks

Sometimes I really wonder what some people are on....

Then after their excuses I wonder why they won’t share at least -.-

The seller I picked up a carb kit from sent me an empty package :angry:

And at first he outright thought I was bullshitting him, but the next day I got a blocked call from someone I didn’t know mumbling about being an idiot.....

After a couple min I caught on, apparently dude found the kit on his desk. Just before I was gunna lay into him he said check your email, I hope it makes it right. Call me if your still mad

Low and behold I popped up my email inbox and there was a tracking # for a 2 day package containing much more than I initially paid for. So as long as the box isn’t empty I’ll be happy

Attachments

• 1A0B108F-EB6C-43F8-9371-3CE885166640.jpeg
    1A0B108F-EB6C-43F8-9371-3CE885166640.jpeg
    462.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 673814E0-0FC3-467E-B0A2-24C466F6BC66.jpeg
    673814E0-0FC3-467E-B0A2-24C466F6BC66.jpeg
    658 KB · Views: 9
  • 733C9E88-5078-4C80-934F-3CBC5E0644BB.jpeg
    733C9E88-5078-4C80-934F-3CBC5E0644BB.jpeg
    485.5 KB · Views: 9
356225FE-8EF5-46C8-9FA5-A1E371DFF5F1.jpeg Well the kit came in a couple days ago, but I’ve been slammed at work doing 12+ hr days so today was the first chance I got to turn a wench on something I own.

I figured I would walk out to my bench with the kit in hand and see if I couldn’t get this ol girl to run right finally!!!!

But alas little brother foiled any chance at that, **** he damn near got his block knocked off....
827455BA-26CF-4B16-ABED-41AB1DACD34C.jpeg

48D773A5-D812-43CF-BC2A-010244615738.jpeg

Apparently when he asked if he could borrow my truck to bring home a new shelf, this was his idea of that request.
- bring home said shelf
- set up the chopsaw then use it pointed at my bench and neglect to clean up
- then leave his 8ft tall, 4ft wide behemoth of the shelf wedged with an inch to spare between my bench and my mustang -.-

So who has plenty of land and wouldn't mind a few ft of fresh dirt tilled up?
Only requirement is a severe lack of questions, I’m not beneath out right bribery either....

Well that's unfortunate. If some sawdust got in the throat there I'd rinse it out with some gas.

First was compressed air, then the old gas/oil mix I pulled from the tank before starting to clean up the body. After That I stuck my borescope camera in there and it looked clean enough to me

So after hours spent doing everything other than rebuilding and cleaning the 041 I finally got around to what I set out to 12 hours ago....

But alas here she be :)

9D720FCC-8E1F-4021-A1BC-2BCB9071356A.jpeg

My only question/hesitation really is that the directions never mentioned to replace any of these goodies. Nor after locating them on the carb itself did I see a reason to fight trying to replace them seeing as the originals looked fine and clean(ignore the gaskets)

So am I making a mistake?2D97F531-7B39-4DEA-AA7A-484E50F992E9.jpeg

A few hours and a couple can of parts cleaner later I’m to the point of reassembly. That will be a task for tomorrow/Monday though as it’s 3am....

Assuming nobody pipes up about any errors I may have made then hopefully this will all result in a running saw. I’m open to any tips/tricks/pointers you guys may have though

B3993765-D4DD-4078-B4E4-BE83B988DD7A.jpeg

Also I'd replace the screen in the carb if you've got one in your kit. They can look clean but still be restrictive, Welch plugs to me, I don't replace unless they're leaking.
Other than that she looks good!

If the orifices under the welch plugs are clogged, then is when I bother with them.
With the needle out, hold the carb up to a light and look through that passage and make sure it is clear.
Those old saws had a foam insert in their fuel filters that would start breaking apart @ the 20-30 year mark, and collect in various pockets in the carbs, and cause all kinds of trouble....

Good point Harley. I just hate punching them out, but I guess that's no reason to skip it. I almost never rebuild carburetor though unless it's an old one that Can't be replaced or where the replacement is $100+ like the 291 carbs.

Back