Thousands of bees in tree that must be cut - advice please

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LabLover

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
One of our Desert Museum (palo verde) trees has split and come down. Fortunately it is in a spot where we can still navigate the property. The tree is in bloom and starting at 0500 each morning there are at least 10,000 bees in the tree doing their job.
I have no desire to harm the bees but I do need to cut up the tree remove the debris. The flowers on the tree last a fairly long time each year. This is what the tree looks like: https://inlandvalleygardenplanner.org/plants/parkinsonia-x-desert-museum/
Any suggestions how I can deal with this without harming the bees, having to buy a bee suit or pissing off the bees and getting myself stung? Thanks.

If they are honey bees, contact a bee keeper. They will often relocate hives. Usually for a fee, but they know what they are doing, and it will save you a lot of stress and risk.

Philbert
Thanks, to clarify, there is not a hive in the tree, I believe these bees are coming from about 1,500 meters away where that property owner has about 100 man-made hives. The bees are commuting from there to to our trees to collect the massive amount of pollen these trees produce.

Wait for a wet day & deal with as much as you can while the bees are hiding from the rain. If you can't do the whole job at that time at least be sure to sever all the offending limbs so the flowers on those wilt & become unappealing to the bees
Excellent idea, unfortunately we are in San Diego so the next "wet day" probably will not happen until November....

A smoker , is not an open fire . Its smoldering sage or a tight bundle of material that only produces smoke not flame, it can be contained in a metal bin or other heat proof receptacle. Ideal materials could be damp or green spruce bows.
If your uncomfortable with this many fire departments offer to stand by while you make any ignition.

A swarm in May is worth a load of hay; a swarm in June is worth a silver spoon; but a swarm in July is not worth a fly.

If the tree has been down two weeks, what’s another two or three?? Just cut it when the bees give up on it.

Bees sleep, cut it down, process it and haul it off at night or very early in the morning if your trying to do it in a hurry. Some flowers can last weeks on a cut off branch, some die off in hours, the time scale your saying these last and the lack of leaves on the tree when in full bloom makes me think it will be the latter but removal of a small branch to test would be smart.

Back