throw line

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Paul McMillin

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
has anyone recently purchased throw line that was spliced (melted together) in the middle of the line? I recently had two different lines break in the middle becuase of this . before i had no problems with my old throw lines but these new ones I was told come from a different manufacturer. John Paul McMillin

Not that, but I bought a 1000ft spool from Arial this winter that is so strechy that sometimes I cannot pull it off of a twig. 150 hank in the bag is puffy in the middle. I hate the stuff.

inferior product

YES, I had bought 100 ft. of slick line from ***** and was at a job setting lowering lines for a removal when after a couple of throws it broke. It appeared to be burnt, I thought maybe it had come in contact with a chain saw muffler or something. The problem was that it was to clean of a break. Later that day it happened again! Same pattern at the break. I was pretty sure it was never near a source of heat because I keep it in a throw line bag and return it when finished. I switched to kernmantle from BISHP.

Last edited:
I have been using the small rope that is used for starting chainsaws etc. now for 10 years.This works wonderfull and coils(SNAKES) into a large coffee can with no problem.Its cheap,@ 20 bucks for a reel of 150 or 200 feet.

I switched to an orange and white line , cant remember what it is called at the moment. The yellow slick line that has been melted together at points in a large spool, is the one that breaks , if you happen to get that spot when they cut it for you. I was told that the old slick line that was good was made in mexico, but now they get it from a different manufacturer. john

Back