Throwbag nightmare

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bermie

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Ok, so I am NOT the best with a throwbag...

I got to my job,nice old Bermuda cedar in the back near the pool and verandah, just a couple of broken branches up about 30'...cedars (actually is a juniper to be exact) are quite thin barked so I like to use a cambium saver when climbing them. Bougainvillea all around the base and no low branches...

Set up the throwbag, FIRST SHOT it goes just where I want it!!! Wow, this never happens to me! I'm all chuffed, start to pull the line back to clear a couple of small snags before lowering it to the ground and :censored: the bag falls off the line (didn't check the knot) Tie it back on and...well 10 mins later it gets irretrevably stuck...:censored:...trek to the truck to get another one...10 mins later I finally get the second one in the right spot...pull up the cambium saver, flip it around then on the way down the bag and line get stuck on a tiny twig...:censored:...Bda cedar is very hard when dead, No amount of pulling is going to snap that little twiglet...so get the pole saw, extend it, fiddle and push and twist til FINALLY I get it free...

I was in the tree for 20 minutes...after probably that and more getting the bloody line into it! Did i say I'm not good with a throwbag?

It was not my best day...here are some of my excuses...

I'm not good with a throwbag
I'm below average with a throwbag
People take their children, pets and prized possesions indoors when I appear with a throwbag
Shutters go up over windows when I appear with a throwbag
The emergency signal kicks in on the radio when I appear with a throwbag

Sigh....:dizzy:

I'm no pro either...

but wow...give me my saddle, a handsaw, a throwbag, and i can prune any tree you throw at me, it has turned into one of my most beloved tools.

It still frustrates me alot but I'm getting much much better. I find if I concentrate on where I want to throw it helps alot. Hint... don't throw for the branch but a foot above it. I'm always amazed at how I can bounce off a branch 40' up..... Mike

Hey Bermie, I feel your pain. Actually my groundie felt it more. He managed to get the throwline wrapped around a C.citriodora branch and gave an almighty heave to free it. He snapped the branch off and hit himself in the arm. Couldnt raise a beer glass for a week so I knew he wasnt faking!

Have you considered using an adjustable false crotch for pruning? I have made some pretty awful throw bag shots and like you said, often spent more time setting up than actually pruning. Because positioning a false crotch doesnt rely on precise throwing it is both faster to do and I have found with the pressure off that my aim has actually improved! They no longer call the medics when I open my faltemier!

I notice that as the temperature drops my release technique is dramatically affected and I often send shots out horizontally at head level. Just another reason for those on the ground to were a helmet. LOL. Then there was the time I took a stuck 14oz. bag to the shin at about 80mph. I swore I broke my leg. Funny now, at the time however, not so much.

I have a healthy appreciation for my throwbags starting with the time I thought I could yank a dead Pin Oak limb outta the tree. That sucker shot straight at me with all of the tension in that stupid little throwline smacking me right in the forehead where my safety glasses broke and gave me a lovely cut to go with the bruise. Oh yeah, did I mention falling back on my :censored: in front of the customer after talking up the handy little throwbag!?

Anyhow, I have my good days and my bad with it. Love the big shot, my son and I use it to launch Walnuts at the Squirrels for practice. Talk about fast food!

Just like all of us...

...on any given day...

We laugh and joke when the throwline issues become obtuse...:cry:

My theory is i gota get it in the first three goes or on the hundredth go...:monkey:

I have a healthy appreciation for my throwbags starting with the time I thought I could yank a dead Pin Oak limb outta the tree. That sucker shot straight at me with all of the tension in that stupid little throwline smacking me right in the forehead where my safety glasses broke and gave me a lovely cut to go with the bruise. Oh yeah, did I mention falling back on my :censored: in front of the customer after talking up the handy little throwbag!?

Ouch.. how big a throwbag were you using.. course it hurts regardless.

I've been using shotbags for near ten years now, and it is like my pool game; some days I am hot and others I gotta take what i can get. All they guys I know who are real good practice at it in the back yard or in the shop, kinda like target practice. Shoot at ladder rungs in the shop...

I've never been able to do things like that.

...on any given day...

We laugh and joke when the throwline issues become obtuse...:cry:

My theory is i gota get it in the first three goes or on the hundredth go...:monkey:

thats about it!!
What annoyed me the most was getting it in just the right spot on the first throw, then had the bag fall off, only myself to blame though...

Last edited:
Thats the worst man. I'm pretty hit or miss with the throwbag. Somedays I'm on, others I'm off. I'm jealous of guys who can throw high as anything, and be accurate as well. Makes the BigShot a pretty nice investment.

I also find that sometimes it's best to just let the bag come down and untie it before trying to pull it out, especially on hickory, pin oak, things of that nature.

Well, its making me feel a bit better to read that there are others who have throwbag issues too...
does anyone go and practice in an attempt to get better?

Well, its making me feel a bit better to read that there are others who have throwbag issues too...

I know people who do, they set up a ladder and aim for rungs. You only get to go higher when you hit a given rung several times in a row.

Yeah! I admit it. Practice throwing. Practice isolating branches. Practice helps.

BTW, I live in the woods. So, I don't have to look crazy in front of the neighbors ... the wife gets to chuckle now-n-then ...
:hmm3grin2orange:

Latest posts

Back