Tier 3 vs Tier 4 diesel chipper

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rymancm

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have a Bandit chipper with a tier 3 Perkins diesel. I love it but am thinking of upgrading to a new one with a tier 4. Is there any downside, other than price, to the newer tier 4 engines? I get the impression some people consider the older pre-emission tier 3s more desirable but I'm not sure why. I don't mind the extra cost of the the tier 4 but I'd be disappointed if it didn't perform as well as my old one. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Ryman

B02E5040-A56A-48FE-B064-0BBF2AE9B09B.jpeg Tier 3 engines cost less to run and maintain. Tier 4 has two stages. Tier 4 interim and tier 4 final. It’s kind of like comparing a car from the 90’s to a car from 2018. There is just more to go wrong. More technology=more problems in most cases. Now granted I’ve never worked on a chipper more then about once in my life but I do work For a crane dealer and our machines have all tiers of engines. I would be buying a pre emissions machine if it were me.

Back