Tile or pho-rock behind wood stove safe? Pic included

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T-Dozzer

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I want to put in a tile, pho-rock, pho-brick etc in the nook my stove sits in. It will be behind and both side of stoves about 10-15 feet.
Does it need to be fire rated to be safe? Currently just using a reflective board so my dry wall doesnt heat up.
Thanks

Attachments

• 20181215_185049.jpg
    20181215_185049.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 41
it depends on your stove.

my stove has a 3 inch clearance to a combustible wall in the back minimum I have 8

unrated stoves require 24 depending on your building code

check building code, your stove manual and your insurance company.

my hearth under and around the stove they required a minimum of 1 1/4 inches staggered seams

I have 1/2 inch concrete board screwed to the floor every 6 inches then a thin layer of mortar the second 1/2 inch concrete board and screwed down not quite as often then a 3rd 1/2 inch mortared down and screwed, with slate tile over that

Thanks Fellas. Ill ask my insurance person. I imagine it requires cement board with maybe a fire rated tile.

it depends on your stove.

my stove has a 3 inch clearance to a combustible wall in the back minimum I have 8

unrated stoves require 24 depending on your building code

check building code, your stove manual and your insurance company.

my hearth under and around the stove they required a minimum of 1 1/4 inches staggered seams

I have 1/2 inch concrete board screwed to the floor every 6 inches then a thin layer of mortar the second 1/2 inch concrete board and screwed down not quite as often then a 3rd 1/2 inch mortared down and screwed, with slate tile over that

Stove was here when i bought the house. I suppose i could contact lopi.
Im a little apprehensive to start asking building code regs. Im in king County, WA where you can hardly hang a 2x4 without jumping through all kinds of hoops & fines. Wonder if my insurance person would even know.
My main concern (obviously) is the fire hazard. Since it was installed in 1991, its just had that reflective panel behind it.
I assume im looking at cements panels with a fire rated tile or fuax rock?
Anyone on around North Bend, WA wana take a look and point me in right direction?

Thanks,

Tyson

Normally anything faux (or fake) is only make to look like what it is imitating. Our faux leather couch fell apart in a few months during normal use. I would imagine that faux brick is just plastic with very little heat resistance. I have seen engineered stone which is basically concrete made to look like rock that could hold the heat better. The best option may be to find brick that matches your hearth and gain both fire resistance and thermal mass that will continue to radiate heat after the fire goes out. That is how my stove is setup and I can get 36 hours of heat from a single packed out load of locust and hickory.

By any chance have you checked the temperature of the walls around you stove with a fire going? I picked up a non-contact thermometer from Harbor Freight that is plenty accurate for this kind of test.

Dura Rock or cement board is no longer typically code for fire rating near a wood stove. There is a micor board, not sure of spelling, that is a fiber board for hearth and wall substrate for those applications. Talk to a builder, building inspector, or fire inspector. It is something you want to get right the first time. You may need metal Z strips or hat track for an air gap if you use cement board. Ask a professional.

I want to put in a tile, pho-rock, pho-brick etc in the nook my stove sits in. It will be behind and both side of stoves about 10-15 feet.
Does it need to be fire rated to be safe? Currently just using a reflective board so my dry wall doesnt heat up.
Thanks

None of that would reduce clearance to combustible requirements. If you're too close.

Post the make/model of your stove. Should be a tag on the rear. It may be covered by a rear shield that will need to be removed for a look. Clearance info is normally found online easily. If you have correct clearance you might consider installing cultured stone. Or commonly known locally as "Lick and Stick". Its actually concrete that has been poured to look like natural stone. Nice stuff.

I have never heard of Pho-brick?
I have however eaten Viet. Pho. Outstanding:yes:

You need to find the clearances from combustible materials for your stove I would imagine. We put up Airstone behind ours, followed the clearances. Airstone claims that it's a noncombustible even if it's adhered to a sheetrock wall, which it is. Not the fanciest of stuff though...

Thanks. Appreciate all the advice.
I'll take a look at the stove requirements and go from there. I know a few builders and plan on meeting code requirements.
We are about to start remodeling the kitchen and a bathroom first, so trying to keep costs down on the stove project.

Back