Timber wolf tw-5 pros&cons

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morningman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hey guys any pros and cons of purchasing a used timber wolf tw-5 2012 model going to be using for soft wood (pine ) and probably as well as Oak And Madrone thanks for any feedback

I got my TW5 used from a guy that sold firewood for 2500 bucks Mine is an older unit that has had over 100 cords through it a year prior to me getting it. I average 20 a year for the last 6 yrs or so. Rebuilding the cylinders is cheap and easy if you have to. I have replaced the motor on it a few times. Engines are cheap, Honda's are $150-$200 on craigslist all day long off psi washers that lost pumps - 4 bolts and pump takes 5 min to replace

Its a firewood making sum a gun

I have the older tw5 with the auto cycle - made a table for it just like the oe one and it has a log lift and 4 way. Mine is the 36 inch version which works for me and my out door burner. The tw5 is a great machine.
Pros
1) I like the fact you can remove the tow hitch, making it hard to get stolen. I move mine with forks on tractor for the most part.
2) I has a strong lift so busting big rounds is easy.
3) easy to work on.
4) very very very well balanced if you have to move it around by hand.

If I had to mention any cons they would be the following.
1) It could be a little taller. This can be fixed by mounting jacks on plate near wheels and blocking the front foot with 4x4
2) I would not tow this unit without strapping down hydro tank. I lent mine out and it got towed down a farm lane a little to fast - the welds broke on tank mount and it pulled the suction hose out of pump - fix was a new pump!

Another note. I have used my friends 6 way wedge and it works great if you have the perfect size wood to run through it. For me the 4 way wedge is the go- to for my needs and usually never comes off, even busting 50 inch red oak rounds.

The only other splitter I have had time on is the ALS splitter. Its nice but was not as heavy duty as the timber wolf or as fast but still and solid machine. and probably cheaper cost.

Good Luck

I have had a 22ton mtd since 1995 went thru 3 motors and hundreds and hundreds of cords well worth the 695.00 i paid lol but seriously i know it will outlive my firewood years swallowing my winter nut is the hard part hard to find used

Back