Timberman 45

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Li'l Habanero

Reaction score
Hi all,

I inherited a family friend's Homelite Timberman 45, and I'm having some trouble getting it running properly. Now, I know that these are not great saws, but I figure it's a good and inexpensive way to start learning about chainsaw maintenance.

The details:

It will start, but with great difficulty if not choked.
It seems to be running too rich on both rev and idle, with black smoke coming out of the exhaust.
It seems to be idling both too high and too low, in the sense that the chain spins slightly on idle but it also dies after a few seconds of idling.
It will rev, and that seems fine with the exception of being too rich as I mentioned.

Also, the carb intake looks clean on a basic inspection.

Any recommended next steps? I can post pictures of anything you experts want to see (except my wife).

Take the carb off, pull it apart & clean it. Check diaphragms are not stiff and need replacing, for a few bux it may not be a bad idea to get a new carb kit and replace all the bits.

I have one. Got it cheap after only being used once. Previous owner couldnt get it started again. Cleaned the carb and adjusted the H and L, and it ran fine. The previous owner must've just played around with every adjustment on the saw.

Then the chain brake got stuck in the engaged position. Had to remove the band just to be able to run it. No idea why it was stuck, but it would not budge. Now it's at the bottom of my chainsaw totem pole.

Back