Time for a new chain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Latest pics the cutter is looking a LOT better! Good job. Getting down in the gullet is a good thing. I've found that most guides keep the file too high on the tooth for my liking and my preferences with cutter geometry.

Hard to tell from pictures, but the depth gauge looks really low on those cutters. Chain might be real grabby.

Here's my results.
You sound like a happy camper! Making one less trip to buy new chains?

Now that you have chains that work, you can 'play around' and 'experiment' a bit with the sharpening advice you receive (some of it may be conflicting?).
You can adjust (any) of the angles 'a little'; try more or less 'hook'; adjust your depth gauges; change the gullet shape; use just a file or just a grinder; use a filing guide or free-hand file; etc., etc., etc.
See which changes seem to make a difference to you, with your saw, in the wood that you cut, for the type of cutting that you do!

Some things might make a chain cut faster in some wood. Some might make cutting edges last longer. Some work better on higher powered saws.

Lots of ways to sharpen: everyone needs to find something that works for them. - Philbert

Philbert

You sound like a happy camper! Making one less trip to buy new chains?

Now that you have chains that work, you can 'play around' and 'experiment' a bit with the sharpening advice you receive (some of it may be conflicting?).
You can adjust (any) of the angles 'a little'; try more or less 'hook'; adjust your depth gauges; change the gullet shape; use just a file or just a grinder; use a filing guide or free-hand file; etc., etc., etc.
See which changes seem to make a difference to you, with your saw, in the wood that you cut, for the type of cutting that you do!

Some things might make a chain cut faster in some wood. Some might make cutting edges last longer. Some work better on higher powered saws.

Lots of ways to sharpen: everyone needs to find something that works for them. - Philbert

Philbert
Hey Philbert.

How much impact does damage on the top of the cutter have on chain performance? I have some chains that gave scores across that top but no damage to the cutting edge

How much impact does damage on the top of the cutter have on chain performance? I have some chains that gave scores across that top but no damage to the cutting edge
Photo?

The top plate of the cutter does not cut: until the tooth is ground / filed / used back far enough that it becomes part of the top plate cutting edge.

Philbert

I like a good aggressive hook on mine...this chain will walk right through without any hand pressure

20200321_121505.jpg

Photo?

The top plate of the cutter does not cut: until the tooth is ground / filed / used back far enough that it becomes part of the top plate cutting edge.

Philbert
I have several chains that have scores across the top cutter like this or worse. Wondering how much of an issue it is.
87D89D50-D3D9-4916-AA75-297599878727.jpeg
(Yes I know the leading edge is dull, it’s already been sharpened).

I have several chains that have scores across the top cutter like this or worse. Wondering how much of an issue it is.
View attachment 809319
(Yes I know the leading edge is dull, it’s already been sharpened).
heck steve! all the new Oregon and husky chains I get at ace hardware all have a score line on them! its an angle guide and a safety mark to stop using it before the tooth breaks of... so your chain looks good, except there not on my saws! that wood be a free chain ? right....

heck steve! all the new Oregon and husky chains I get at ace hardware all have a score line on them! its an angle guide and a safety mark to stop using it before the tooth breaks of... so your chain looks good, except there not on my saws! that wood be a free chain ? right....
Hi Dave. Not the sharpening score. I’m talking about the damage on the top of the cutter that goes from front to back.

I’m talking about the damage on the top of the cutter that goes from front to back.
Serrated cutter - works better on bread, tomatoes, etc.
Seriously, that (looks like it) is just the chrome. You will not notice it at all in the cut.
If part of the cutter is abraded to the point where it changes the shape, e.g.the edge where the top and side plate meet, damaging the corner, it might be an issue.

Philbert

Serrated cutter - works better on bread, tomatoes, etc.
Seriously, that (looks like it) is just the chrome. You will not notice it at all in the cut.
If part of the cutter is abraded to the point where it changes the shape, e.g.the edge where the top and side plate meet, damaging the corner, it might be an issue.

Philbert
just send it to "sixonetonoffun", he can grind it down to like new with his new toy!! lol

Latest posts

Back