time for a new saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trapper_Pete

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
time for a new Saw and time to go bigger.

I had a MS260 that was my only saw from 2007 till fall 2016

Fall of 2016 I added the J-red 2255 while the MS260 was down.

as of last Saturday the MS260 was down again and I sold it for project/parts this last week thank you to all who were interested in it.

I have the cash saved up now and it is time for a new saw a bigger saw to deal with the bigger wood I am getting now.

I am fairly certain I know what I want and why but give me your thoughts.

my Local Dealer/saw shop the guy I like to work with who has been there for many of my small engine and chainsaw needs sells J-red , he also sells Efco.

he has a CS2172 and an Efco MT8200 I can have each for the same price one 70cc and the other 80cc
but while bigger is tempting for the same money. the CS2172 is the red version of the very popular and common 372XP meaning parts should be very common and readily available . the Efco 8200 besides being discontinued just doesn't seem like it was ever that common so parts may likely be an issue.

and the 8200 is heavy it felt like about 5 pounds heavier with the same bar than the CS2172.

70cc should do for the stuff I will have to cut and give me a good increase over the 55

both are being sold with Oregon 24 inch power match bars in 3/8 .058

I called my dealer , my mistake I knew he said 70.7cc and it started with 21 it is actually a 2166 we found a price we could both work with and I told him I would take it . I can't pick it up till Thursday cause my day job is trying to be my day and night job. but money is important.

the 2166 sounds like it is a 2172 chassis with a restriction , non torx carb and different coil but all in all should be a solid performer for my fire wood cutting. and get me through anything to 48 inches with the 24 inch bar although I may run it with a 18 or 20 when not needing the long bar and expensive chain.

I thought the price seemed too good for a 2172

R
I called my dealer , my mistake I knew he said 70.7cc and it started with 21 it is actually a 2166 we found a price we could both work with and I told him I would take it . I can't pick it up till Thursday cause my day job is trying to be my day and night job. but money is important.

the 2166 sounds like it is a 2172 chassis with a restriction , non torx carb and different coil but all in all should be a solid performer for my fire wood cutting. and get me through anything to 48 inches with the 24 inch bar although I may run it with a 18 or 20 when not needing the long bar and expensive chain.

I thought the price seemed too good for a 2172
Remove transfer baffles and you have a 2171. Win-win. Nice saw.

I’d definitely go CS2172 for all the same reasons you stated, and then some.

It is Happy New Saw Day here :chainsaw::chop::chainsaw:.

picked up my new J-red 2166. didn't get to pick it up till after work dealer test ran it made sure I was good and I ran it a bit more at home but no time to cut anything 2nd shortest day of the year it was dark when I left work.

it came with a 24 inch Oregon power match bar .

I picked up an extra loop of chain

Sunday unless the weather is just miserable I am getting out to the woodlot I have a bunch of larger wood to cut.

got the saw out today for a couple hours

really like it

also did a bunch of noodling , easier than dragging the splitter with and easier than lifting hole rounds

2166_2255_saw.JPG

got the saw out today for a couple hours

really like it

also did a bunch of noodling , easier than dragging the splitter with and easier than lifting hole rounds

View attachment 692206
I bought a 2166 from David( Dsell) and I am looking forward to running it. I have a 2255 as well and wanted a red pro saw. I like red! Have been very busy with family for the holiday season so I have not been able to run the new 2166. Thank you for posting about your new “red” saw! The pair looks awesome and that looks like a good pickup load of wood. Merry Christmas and have a Happy New Year!

Lynn

I bought a 2166 from David( Dsell) and I am looking forward to running it. I have a 2255 as well and wanted a red pro saw. I like red! Have been very busy with family for the holiday season so I have not been able to run the new 2166. Thank you for posting about your new “red” saw! The pair looks awesome and that looks like a good pickup load of wood. Merry Christmas and have a Happy New Year!

Lynn
I think you will like it.
it seems about 20% faster than the 2255 but with 6 more inches of bar.

sure makes a pile of noodles fast.

Back