Time for a reminder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaseyForrest

I am NOT a tree freak.
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Please dont use fancy spelling of profanity to get around the word censor. The forum software has an automatic word censor built in.

Typing words in this fashion will result in a warning the first time and infractions thereafter.

s&%t, sh1t or any other variation.

f^%k, f'n, f this or f that or any other variation.

Im sure you guys get the point.

Enforcing this rule is by far the most time consuming for the moderators. We can not go through the thousands of posts generated everyday to weed out the violators. And when we do enforce this rule, we have to hear about the hundred of other violations that have gone untouched.

So...Please... Either type out the profanity and let the censor replace it with #'s or compose your post minus the cursing.

Thanks guys and gals.

Please dont use fancy spelling of profanity to get around the word censor. The forum software has an automatic word censor built in.

Typing words in this fashion will result in a warning the first time and infractions thereafter.

s&%t, sh1t or any other variation.

f^%k, f'n, f this or f that or any other variation.

Im sure you guys get the point.

Enforcing this rule is by far the most time consuming for the moderators. We can not go through the thousands of posts generated everyday to weed out the violators. And when we do enforce this rule, we have to hear about the hundred of other violations that have gone untouched.

So...Please... Either type out the profanity and let the censor replace it with #'s or compose your post minus the cursing.

Thanks guys and gals.

It's best to just avoid the profanity, I have been burned and got a warning personally because the censor missed something......

It's best to just avoid the profanity, I have been burned and got a warning personally because the censor missed something......

Excellent point.

I believe in order for the censor to block out words, they need to be entered in the forum software. There are some inappropriate words that the censor doesn't pick up. I think it was me that sent you that warning and I apologize.

Yeah, I was also warned for something that was missed in their dumb filter...it's odd, I hadn't realized that the internet had changed. I mean, using extended ascii for profanity was an accepted form of use on the internet for the past 25+ years.

Maybe it has something to do with the point in time that Al Gore created the internet while guys like me had been sitting around with our thumbs in our, err....almost typed another one, good that I caught myself...

Life on the inet will never be the same now that Al Gore is here...*lol*

:fart::kilt::fart::kilt::fart:

Yeah, I was also warned for something that was missed in their dumb filter...it's odd, I hadn't realized that the internet had changed. I mean, using extended ascii for profanity was an accepted form of use on the internet for the past 25+ years.

Maybe it has something to do with the point in time that Al Gore created the internet while guys like me had been sitting around with our thumbs in our, err....almost typed another one, good that I caught myself...

Life on the inet will never be the same now that Al Gore is here...*lol*

:fart::kilt::fart::kilt::fart:

That's bull#### on any number of levels. You were warned for exactly what Casey talks about in the original post. And extended ascii.......puleeeze. The same with the 25 year old internet nonsense. Btw

ass

is ok, continue on with your thumb activities.

That's bull#### on any number of levels. You were warned for exactly what Casey talks about in the original post. And extended ascii.......puleeeze. The same with the 25 year old internet nonsense. Btw

ass

is ok, continue on with your thumb activities.
Dave,

I'm sending a virtual cold one down the inet to you, please have one on me. I'm having an ice tea myself. ;)

In the OP it states in the first sentence:

Please dont use fancy spelling of profanity to get around the word censor.
I was just pointing out that extended ascii has been the accepted form of Netiquette from a time that goes way back on the inet, possibly to a time before the majority of members of AS (also known to me as ASwipes;)) had a computer of their own.

I wasn't trying to "get around the word censor".

I am just being honest with you, no harm meant. To me it doesn't matter whether @$$ is in your system or not. I rarely type any profanity in my text and haven't for many years, I always use extended ascii. I hope that makes sense. That is old habit of abiding to the Netiquette, not avoiding a filter and trying to beat the system.

It's kinda funny in a way because I do use the extended ascii as a form of sympathy to those that are offended with any language. This is a free world in the U.S., and we have the right to our free speech...so I provide my own censorship to the language per the Netiquette. As a result I get warned for "trying to beat the system". Like I said no harm, but do you see the humor?

If not, my sincerest apologies! Just realize I'm not out to get around the word censor system! "I ams what I ams", to quote Popeye. If you ever meet me in person you will see that I talk exactly the same way I type online...without he extended ascii of course! :cheers:

Dave,

I'm sending a virtual cold one down the inet to you, please have one on me. I'm having an ice tea myself. ;)

In the OP it states in the first sentence:

I was just pointing out that extended ascii has been the accepted form of Netiquette from a time that goes way back on the inet, possibly to a time before the majority of members of AS (also known to me as ASwipes;)) had a computer of their own.

I wasn't trying to "get around the word censor".

I am just being honest with you, no harm meant. To me it doesn't matter whether @$$ is in your system or not. I rarely type any profanity in my text and haven't for many years, I always use extended ascii. I hope that makes sense. That is old habit of abiding to the Netiquette, not avoiding a filter and trying to beat the system.

It's kinda funny in a way because I do use the extended ascii as a form of sympathy to those that are offended with any language. This is a free world in the U.S., and we have the right to our free speech...so I provide my own censorship to the language per the Netiquette. As a result I get warned for "trying to beat the system". Like I said no harm, but do you see the humor?

If not, my sincerest apologies! Just realize I'm not out to get around the word censor system! "I ams what I ams", to quote Popeye. If you ever meet me in person you will see that I talk exactly the same way I type online...without he extended ascii of course! :cheers:

Aye, a virtual cold one will have to wait for later....but I had the cybertender drop a baileys in my coffee.

I quoted you, but below is a synopsis for all.....

I think the point Casey is making is not so much the "intentionalness" of beating the word censor as much as the chronic regularity it happens with. Then, it's a
1) send the warning or infraction
2) delete the post (we rarely edit)
3) report back to the mod room you've done both
4) Get the pm from the infracted telling you that you are a jerk for singling them out and infracting them

Now if you get on and there is 10 instances........bang, you got 40 actions to take care of as well as any other duties, like wiping out chinese spammers.
Now cursing is not really the end of the world, I can tell you that I can speak fluently in bluecollarese from the Northeast Construction dialect. In fact, I am able to converse solely using curse words for adjectives, verbs and nouns in complete sentences. Besides construction, it's a great dialect for driving, although not so great when driving with the wife and worse the wife's mom. This language however, will let me communicate with sailors, west coast loggers, plumbers, welders, etc., sure they speak a slightly different version, but we can all understand each other pretty well.

So the point is, it's a PITA to be writing cursing tickets on a blue collar forum, but those are the rules here and the enforcement of such keeps the place looking good. So Casey's point is just spell it out, and it cuts down on the work load as the software can do what it has to. EVERYBODY here can read the cross hatches and know what was being said.

I think I understand both sides of this issue.

1. Owner wants a clean site.

2. Site has thousands of members who don't read stickies and think they are helping by self-censoring with charactors used in cartoons since the beginning of time.

3. Mods have to keep owner happy, but it seems the owner is sending the Mods up a raging river in a canoe with a broom for a paddle.

No offense meant for owner or Mods,
I am greatfull to both for the wealth of information I have recieved from this site. :cheers:

I think I understand both sides of this issue.

1. Owner wants a clean site.

2. Site has thousands of members who don't read stickies and think they are helping by self-censoring with charactors used in cartoons since the beginning of time.

3. Mods have to keep owner happy, but it seems the owner is sending the Mods up a raging river in a canoe with a broom for a paddle.

No offense meant for owner or Mods,
I am greatfull to both for the wealth of information I have recieved from this site. :cheers:
This irony is all of this is that the one SINGLE forum here that needs this reminder the MOST (the chainsaw forum) doesn't get this sticky as a reminder to the users...go figure...:confused:

It's all good! :cheers:

Excellent point.

I believe in order for the censor to block out words, they need to be entered in the forum software. There are some inappropriate words that the censor doesn't pick up. I think it was me that sent you that warning and I apologize.

Not a problem at all, I felt I'd share the experience and let people know that they should most likely rethink their posting rather then rely on software.

i to am guilty of subconsiously self editing my naughty words with silly symbols..........it just feels wrong to type them out plainly.

well i will do my best to curse plainly if i must so that it is picked up and edited by the software and not myself.

always wondered why profanity was needed in the first place?

For the same reason an exclamation point, bold type, underlined type, question mark, etc... is used.

For example:

ISIS loving ass (or a regular civilian criminal miscreant) getting ready to point an AK (or whatever weapon) at you or someone else for the sole intent to cause bodily harm.

You: "Please drop the weapon and stand still so I can approach you and ask you questions on your current intended actions."

Me: "Drop the ****ing weapon and place your ****-eating, womanizing, boy-raping lips to the ****ing ground and spread your arms and legs out flat against the ****ing ground!"

Me: "Drop the ****ing weapon and place your ****-eating, womanizing, boy-raping lips to the ****ing ground and spread your arms and legs out flat against the ****ing ground!"
I have gotten the same results on several occasions and never a cuss word came out of my mouth! But to each his own.

Latest posts

Back