Time To Buy a New Riding Mower?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Husqvarna bought it about 10 years ago, I calculate it has about 700 hour on it (three hrs/week x 6 months/year).
It's been running well, but had it in the shop last month (my fault) and yesterday it crapped out on me. I disengaged to go in reverse and when I hit the button to engage the blades nothing happened. I rode it to the barn, cut it off to check the blades, was able to move the blades, got back on and it wouldn't start. When I turned the key, it made a kind of clicking sound, but wouldn't start.

I've certainly got my money's worth out of it and I'm wondering if I should get a replacement now before putting any more $$ into this one.
I can't work on it and I have to pay for pick-up/delivery when it needs to go to the shop... which adds up, too.

What brands are good?

That would be your drive belt.
That makes sense. The last time I had it worked on, I told the guy that it was running a bit "sluggish" not quite the speed it used to have. He said that would be the drive belt.
About how expensive a repair is that?
Looks like a $25 part on Amazon.
They shouldn't charge too much to put it on, should they?

definitely sounds like a belt isssue, could also have something to do with the nut behind the wheel... Did u remember to disengage the the blades prior to restarting the engine? I forget that occasionally and freak out momentarily.
an interesting little thing with Huskie mowers is if u click the key back one position after starting it, you do not have to disengage the blades to reverse. I was ecstatic when I learned that.
if u Maintain your mower it can last a long long time....
do u change the oil and clean/replace the air filter regularly?
apply grease to grease fittings on the steering arms and front wheels?
clean out out the built up grass clippings on top of mower deck, the underside of mower deck, and from the engine compartment? Those are three simple things you can do yourself that will help prolong your mowers life.
my one dislike with huskie mower I have used is there is no grease fittings on the blade spindles.

definitely sounds like a belt isssue, could also have something to do with the nut behind the wheel... Did u remember to disengage the the blades prior to restarting the engine? I forget that occasionally and freak out momentarily.
an interesting little thing with Huskie mowers is if u click the key back one position after starting it, you do not have to disengage the blades to reverse. I was ecstatic when I learned that.
if u Maintain your mower it can last a long long time....
do u change the oil and clean/replace the air filter regularly?
apply grease to grease fittings on the steering arms and front wheels?
clean out out the built up grass clippings on top of mower deck, the underside of mower deck, and from the engine compartment? Those are three simple things you can do yourself that will help prolong your mowers life.
my one dislike with huskie mower I have used is there is no grease fittings on the blade spindles.
Yes, yes, no, no, yes,yes, no, no. :D
I do have it taken in to the shop every year for maintenance though. I assume they do most of those things.
They picked it up today while I was at work. Hopefully, it won't take two weeks to repair like the last trip.

What model is it.
If it has an electric clutch that's about the right hrs for many of them to go out. Also if the clutch is electric it could be that it has a bad engagement switch(most likely).
The clicking tells me it's a bad switch or a switch needs adjusting most likely.
If the clutch is bad you can disconnect it and then try to start it, if it starts the clutch is bad.
Might be a security seat switch which is malfunctioning.

Also this :rolleyes:.
And if you have the seat safety switch jumped the jumper may be shorting out.

Let us know what they say, hoping it's cheap for you :).

That makes sense. The last time I had it worked on, I told the guy that it was running a bit "sluggish" not quite the speed it used to have. He said that would be the drive belt.
About how expensive a repair is that?
Looks like a $25 part on Amazon.
They shouldn't charge too much to put it on, should they?
No that would be easy to fix, just pull it into the shop drop the deck and the belt for it, then access the drive belt and remove, then reverse the order. If all the parts are nice and clean and everything goes well it will take around an hour and then they will have installed the belt that cost them 35 and uncharge you at a rate that will: either add a lot to their hourly rate if it's low, or will add a little if their hourly rate is high ;).

Back