Time To Buy a New Riding Mower?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DSC02172.JPG DSC02173.JPG

I know I should add a tad of oil, but I'm afraid I'll overdo it.
Instead, when I finish mowing this time, I'm going to attempt to drain the oil since it looks cruddy... not going to go so far as changing the oil filter though. If this goes well, I'll do that next oil change.
:heart::heart:I LOVE YOU GUYS Soooooooooooooooooooooooo MUCH!!!!!! :heart::heart:
I can't thank you enough for all your helpful advice. :yes:

Oh, and I didn't clean under the hood - afraid I'd get something wet that shouldn't.

Just to recap...
Would it be safe to say the reason it was running bad and smoking was because of the filthy/clogged air filter?
and
the reason the mower wouldn't engage and then it wouldn't start (the trip before the smoke), was because of the piece of twig stuck between the pulley and belt and had nothing to do with the voltage regulator they charged me $120 for?

I'm seriously considering going back there, with the old filter, a bottle of motor honey, and the twig and telling them I fixed it myself (couldn't have done it without you guys here :heart:), and that their repairman is either incompetent, or a crook. then telling them, "Now, I'll take the rest of my mulch." :)

Would that be me being unreasonable?

Just to recap...
Would it be safe to say the reason it was running bad and smoking was because of the filthy/clogged air filter?
and
the reason the mower wouldn't engage and then it wouldn't start (the trip before the smoke), was because of the piece of twig stuck between the pulley and belt and had nothing to do with the voltage regulator they charged me $120 for?

I'm seriously considering going back there, with the old filter, a bottle of motor honey, and the twig and telling them I fixed it myself (couldn't have done it without you guys here :heart:), and that their repairman is either incompetent, or a crook. then telling them, "Now, I'll take the rest of my mulch." :)

Would that be me being unreasonable?
The twig probably cause the non/engagement problem, but not the starting problem if the battery was dead or not staying charged, a voltage regulator would cause that, the dirty filter would cause the lack of power from the mower ,some smoke but not that much as video shows, my honest opinion is they did the basic changed the voltage regulator, I don't know if you asked them to change filters or oil, I think the mower has a bad ring or loose or bad rod bearings, to start smoking and sound like it does, the honey will prolong the mower but not cure the problem, best bet is to save your $ and drive it till it stops and replace the mower or motor ,sorry babe,

The twig probably cause the non/engagement problem, but not the starting problem if the battery was dead or not staying charged, a voltage regulator would cause that, the dirty filter would cause the lack of power from the mower ,some smoke but not that much as video shows, my honest opinion is they did the basic changed the voltage regulator, I don't know if you asked them to change filters or oil, I think the mower has a bad ring or loose or bad rod bearings, to start smoking and sound like it does, the honey will prolong the mower but not cure the problem, best bet is to save your $ and drive it till it stops and replace the mower or motor ,sorry babe,
Okay. I'll keep my mouth shut and leave well enough alone. :rolleyes:

There is no permanent fix in a bottle, that will only last temporarily. But your mower looks really good, usually the deck on those mowers crap out before the engine does. If it wasn't smoking before you took it in to em I say they did something, but you will never prove it.Far as kids working on it, I retired from a Carreer center after 38 years, I have seen what kids can do.lol now if the motor is shot anyway they can't mess it up any more than it is.

All thanks to you guys :bowdown: purring like a kitten. :)
Don't want to jinx myself, but I'd like to go back to those idiots, with this mower, in about ten years and ask, "Remember me? Didn't need a new engine after all!" :p

I mowed about half the yard... no smoke that I could detect. :happybanana::dancing::cheers:
Going to let it cool off then check the oil again. Have to go get gas anyway.

I owe you guys Big Time! :numberone:

That's true. I'll be right over

View attachment 603499 View attachment 603500

I know I should add a tad of oil, but I'm afraid I'll overdo it.
Instead, when I finish mowing this time, I'm going to attempt to drain the oil since it looks cruddy... not going to go so far as changing the oil filter though. If this goes well, I'll do that next oil change.
:heart::heart:I LOVE YOU GUYS Soooooooooooooooooooooooo MUCH!!!!!! :heart::heart:
I can't thank you enough for all your helpful advice. :yes:

Oh, and I didn't clean under the hood - afraid I'd get something wet that shouldn't.
Add a few ounces then check again in a few minutes.

There is no permanent fix in a bottle, that will only last temporarily. But your mower looks really good, usually the deck on those mowers crap out before the engine does. If it wasn't smoking before you took it in to em I say they did something, but you will never prove it.Far as kids working on it, I retired from a Carreer center after 38 years, I have seen what kids can do.lol now if the motor is shot anyway they can't mess it up any more than it is.
I used to hose it off just about every time I mowed... kind of let it go this year with all the mechanical problems.
And, no, it wasn't smoking before they brought it back this last time.

Hey Boys! Have you noticed now that TNT Sexy Toes has her mower runnin great, she has no use for us? See how she's been ignorin you and me? Since then, prolly got some other fellers she's a temptin. All of 'em got those feminine wiles I tell ya.

And just what do you mean, "sorry babe," Mr. Neely? She was all mine 2 weeks ago when I set that cheesecake pie in front a her and massaged them toes ahers.

And I ain't the jealous type, neither

Hey Boys! Have you noticed now that TNT Sexy Toes has her mower runnin great, she has no use for us? See how she's been ignorin you and me? Since then, prolly got some other fellers she's a temptin. All of 'em got those feminine wiles I tell ya.

And just what do you mean, "sorry babe," Mr. Neely? She was all mine 2 weeks ago when I set that cheesecake pie in front a her and massaged them toes ahers.

And I ain't the jealous type, neither

I'm not a jealous person either; We can settle this with a duel shot guns at 10 paces, winner takes all , mower,toes and cheesecake , deal ?
LOL

I'm not a jealous person either; We can settle this with a duel shot guns at 10 paces, winner takes all , mower,toes and cheesecake , deal ?

Them b fightin words. If I had the strength to pick up a shotgun, you'd b afearin. How bout peashooters? Got one with yur name on it. TNTTwinkle Sexy Toes? U c the bravery I gots? Don't u forget it. Soon, u'll be swoonin in my arms. Please forgive me fur lettin my true luv face these threats. I'm a comin darlin. I'm a comin. Hold tight. Yur man is on his way.

Them b fightin words. If I had the strength to pick up a shotgun, you'd b afearin. How bout peashooters? Got one with yur name on it. TNTTwinkle Sexy Toes? U c the bravery I gots? Don't u forget it. Soon, u'll be swoonin in my arms. Please forgive me fur lettin my true luv face these threats. I'm a comin darlin. I'm a comin. Hold tight. Yur man is on his way.
:ices_rofl:

Is yer wife comin too.lol

How you going to handle a hot woman like TNT if you can't pick up a shotgun? You'll probably have to fight off a ton of guys,

Back