Welcome to ArboristSite.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the ArboristSite community.

ArboristSite.com Sponsors

1. Please see this post Click Here Please ask questions if you have them!! I hope this is going to be great for us all.
    Dismiss Notice

Time to tan the deerhides

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors!!!' started by MontanaResident, May 6, 2018.

1. MontanaResident

MontanaResident Addicted to ArboristSite

I heavily salted them last fall after fleshing them and put them away for the winter. They came out great. No rot, nor hair slippage.

I tossed them into the creek and got them all cleaned up, hung and stretched and applied the tanning solution to one of them so far. I'll get to the other later today. Takes about a week for the flesh to turn to leather, and then I will start the softening process. This is something I am still trying to figure out. In fact I'm still trying to soften the leather from 2016. I was rubbing warm water plus neatsfoot oil into the one this morning. Sure seems like it will work, but I have thought so before. This is all practice for when I get my bear.

DeerhideTanning 001 (800x600).jpg DeerhideTanning 002 (800x600).jpg DeerhideTanning 003 (800x600).jpg DeerhideTanning 004 (800x600).jpg DeerhideTanning 005 (600x800).jpg DeerhideTanning 006 (600x800).jpg DeerhideTanning 007 (600x800).jpg

Tin-knocker likes this.
  2. MontanaResident

Lots of rain, so the hides are very slowly drying out. First patches of leather is starting to show, so encouraging progress. I'd guess another week before they are fully turned to leather.

Ryan'smilling likes this.
  3. ropensaddle

ropensaddle Feel Lucky

You want soft look up brain tanning but if you suspect cwd use rubber gloves. Its a lot of work stretching working it and without a squaw is downright tiring :p

4. MontanaResident

Brain tanning is something I will be trying one of these years.

5. ropensaddle

ropensaddle Feel Lucky

Looks like you did a great job on those fleshing them

MontanaResident likes this.
  6. ValleyFirewood

ValleyFirewood Addicted to ArboristSite

I always figured a deer to be bigger than that. The ones I'm used to seeing (Maine) are in the 250-300lbs area.

Might be a weird combo of cough syrup, anti diarrhea, pepto, and advil, but I'm over here laughing, the stretched out skin looks like one of them flying squirrels hahaha.

7. MontanaResident

Lucky to get a 100 pounds of Venison from a deer here in N.W. Montana. The bigger ones I've seen are not all that much bigger. The really big ones are mounted at the bank, in private homes, in Sporting Goods stores, from years past.

ValleyFirewood likes this.
  8. MontanaResident

One is now fully tanned. Came out soft, not at all like the board I have had to deal with in prior years. I attribute it to doing a better fleshing job. I'll trim, soften, and brush out the hair, and it will be complete. :)

TannedDeerHide 003 (800x600).jpg TannedDeerHide 004 (600x800).jpg