• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Sold Times Ticking!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrandoninColorado

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi. Can anyone tell me if it's a bad idea to put a brand new bar and chain on my saw that has a worn-out sprocket.? What happened was I ordered a sprocket from China even after everybody told me not, they sent me the wrong part so now I've got a new bar a new chain in this old worn-out with bad grooves in it sprocket. Tonight is the last night the hours are tickin away to cut on public land. Will the worn-out sprocket hurt my new bar and chain?

It will definitely shorten the life of the bar and chain. It will work but not good on anything.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I'd only use it tonight then wait for the right sprocket to get here. Or should I just use the old bar and chain, they're in rough shape. I can barely get the chain tight it's stretched so much and the sprocket grooved so bad

I'd only use it tonight then wait for the right sprocket to get here. Or should I just use the old bar and chain, they're in rough shape. I can barely get the chain tight it's stretched so much and the sprocket grooved so bad
If I was in your situation I'd run it for the night and get it swapped as soon as I could. You gotta do what you gotta do and it shouldn't completely ruin the bar and chain.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Hi. Can anyone tell me if it's a bad idea to put a brand new bar and chain on my saw that has a worn-out sprocket.? What happened was I ordered a sprocket from China even after everybody told me not, they sent me the wrong part so now I've got a new bar a new chain in this old worn-out with bad grooves in it sprocket. Tonight is the last night the hours are tickin away to cut on public land. Will the worn-out sprocket hurt my new bar and chain?
Never seen you around before so first things first welcome to AS.
Now, to the serious stuff, don't do it man.
If you want to run all the old stuff, id do that, but if the tensioner is maxed out skip that too as you may toss a chain and damage something else.
Isn't it a little dark to be cutting tonight o_O.
Happy New Year guys.

Well Chipper hit the nail on the head. It was dark but I've cut with lights before safely. I got 1000+ acres of blm 5 minutes down the road. Juniper and My favorite, Pinyon! So anyways, I've got cords of wood but wanted to sell it so I needed see personal. Wife wouldn't go out with me, so I scratched my last ditch effort to do a wood grab on the last day before my permits expire and they shut er down for wildlife and whatnot. Looks like I'll be burning what I wanted to sell. I was so excited when I saw the new bar and chain arrive almost a week early, yesterday. I cleaned up the saw,o took off the worn sprocket, and opened the package from China... it was too big. They must have wrote ms291 and 71 in their ad over 5 times. I've spent weeks looking for the best deal cuz I'm cash poor, got everything tied up in my small goat, sheep, and chicken farm. Anyways, I guess I overlooked the 2 for a 4 on the model number. Pretty sure the big one they sent me goes on a 260 or something. Back to last night, ya I wasn't about to go out cutting solo with a hobbled saw. I'm thinking of starting a new thread asking for help on a rebuild I'm about to attempt. I can fix anything, washers, dryers, dishwashers... Etc. But I lack experience with saws mechanically. My wood cutting buddy had a 029 super that Ace True Value said the compression is shot on it. It's sat at my house for over a year so I picked up a kit for a 390nto rebuild it for a Xmas gift for him. I need step by step instructions and probably a little luck to go with it, to be successful. Well, there's my short story. Haha. Blizzard outside so Why not, eh? Love cutting, love not working for the man, love my goats, and the wife ain't too shabby either!

Are you saying the sprocket is too big for the crank?
Not sure what size chain you are running(3/8 or 325), but that has to be right as well as the crank size.

Back