Tip for free wood chips?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highrisen

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Long time, no see, tree folks!

Quick question: Should I tip for delivery of free wood chips?

The power lines have recently been cleared and the clean up crew is in the area. I've asked them to dump as much as they need at my place. The first day there was nothing delivered and they flagged me down this morning on my way down the road to tell me the spot I wanted them to dump in was too wet and they didnt want to rut my yard. I gave them another place to dump, they said they would dump a small load today to see if thats where I really wanted and I could give them the go ahead to dump more tomorrow.

These guys are being overly nice and accommodating - makes me wonder if they are expecting something...

Long time, no see, tree folks!

Quick question: Should I tip for delivery of free wood chips?

The power lines have recently been cleared and the clean up crew is in the area. I've asked them to dump as much as they need at my place. The first day there was nothing delivered and they flagged me down this morning on my way down the road to tell me the spot I wanted them to dump in was too wet and they didnt want to rut my yard. I gave them another place to dump, they said they would dump a small load today to see if thats where I really wanted and I could give them the go ahead to dump more tomorrow.

These guys are being overly nice and accommodating - makes me wonder if they are expecting something...
One word, beer.:cool:

Here, if they don't have someone who wants chips, they have to pay upwards of $50 a load to dump chips. I've had literally hundreds of loads dumped here for ground cover, never once tipped, they already got a $50 to $100 'tip'.
Once told a specific company they could dump what they wanted till I told them to stop, had to go on a business trip and got home an there were literally 30 loads dumped from 100 ft back at end of driveway all the way out to the street! Took me half a day to move it with loader!
Fat chance for a tip.

Most the guys who dumped were climber/drivers. NO WAY I'd offer a climber ( or groundie chipper feeder guy) a beer in the middle of the day! Bottle of water or a coke, yes.

Although their job is easier if they can dump the chips onsite, they likely aren't paying the $50 dumping fee out of their pockets - the company (or in true cost the client) pay for it. I'd say $10-20 is a nice tip, but even a soda or water would be appreciated.

What happens when your generous is more chips head your way a 30 pack of beer every once in a while will keep them steady :) One suggestion though give it to them warm and at the end of the day that way they will likely wait until they are off to consume!

Back