titan saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homelite360

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
does anyone have any expierence or stories about titan saws i have 4 of them and have not gotten one running yet. (mostly cause i have not had time) but share your comments or critisms.

titan

There was a titan blue streak at our show in Baraboo WI about three years ago. This is the two-man twin cylinder, opposed engine. It may have had intermitent spark on one side, but seemed to cut about as fast as my Mall model 7.

Titan chain saws were once a major manufacturer located in Seattle Washington. They started building a two cylinder saw that took most of it's design features from a Stihl that was being used in the Pacific Northwest just before the start of WW-II. The Bluestreak was about the eighth version of a two cylinder type unit that they built and was the most successful. The one man saw that Titan introduced in 1951 called model 40 became a widely used "bucking" saw on the west coast. It was light for the time, had enough power to pull a 24" bar and was reasonably reliable. It had some draw backs but the operators lived with them. The gas tank was mounted around the cylinder so it had a nasty habit of boiling the gas on hot days. They all used the Bendix Scintilla magneto similar to the one on the Mercury/Disston units. Tillotson float type carburetor and s starter of their own design that used a steel cable. Real neat units.

yeah i noticed that the recoils were a pretty slick unit but i have heard of them liking to backfire and eating up the cup for the recoil. i have a few good recoil cups and i am going to make some more of them on the cnc mill for a senior project in college. i will tell you guys how they turn out.

titan

I have a titan 40 that I used up to last year when the coil left on it. I was wondering if I could adapt the Merc bendix to my saw. I am having a rough time finding parts. I have boiled gas in the tank, then it's time to take a break. The saw was bought new by my grandfather and my dad gave it to me. I have had the pins on the recoil snap off on a back fire, so I drilled out the holes and taped hole and put a grade 5 bolt in. Smoothed off the head and it has worked ever since. If anyone has parts for a titan 40 I would like to talk to them. I want to get mine running (sentimental).
Randy

Latest posts

Back