Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillyB

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Firstly, I apologize for the quality of the photos. Conditions were somewhat difficult and I was not aware that quality was lacking until returning indoors. If you need better photos in order to respond, let me know what perspective you'd like and I'll try to get it for you.

The Tree - A large red oak in front of a window wall. A large limb dropped off a couple of days ago on a calm sunny morning. This is the 2nd large limb this tree lost. The first was a few years back in a storm. Besides just being a large red oak, the tree has additional value as its canopy shades the windows adding comfort in the summer's heat. Proximity to the windows also raises concern of breakage. If it was safe, we'd very much like to keep the tree but safety is questionable.

Question #1 - I'd be interested to learn whether you think it should come down because it is unsafe or be left up because it is still safe enough? Please share your confidence level, e.g. "plain as day obvious", "not very certain", etc....

Side view of recent break. (NE Perspective)
Red Oak with Fallen Limb (1 of 5).jpg

Upper part of tree with crown. Recent break is evident about 1/4 from bottom. Back of previous break is slightly noticeable at very bottom. (NE Perspective)
Red Oak with Fallen Limb (2 of 5).jpg

Full tree view just left of center. Building is 5 stories. I'd estimate tree height at about 80 feet and diameter at breast height around 30 inches. (NE Perspective)
Red Oak with Fallen Limb (3 of 5).jpg

Frontal view of recent and past break. The recent break is the dark brown one in front of the upper story of the building. The older one is light grey about halfway up the building. (S. Perspective)
Red Oak with Fallen Limb (4 of 5).jpg

Unfortunately, this is the best current photo I have at present to show you of the older lower break from the side. The tree is on the far right. (SW Perspective)
Red Oak with Fallen Limb (5 of 5).jpg

But here is a frontal view of the previous break when fresh three years back in July 2017. (S Perspective)
Fallen Limb 2017.jpg

If the tree needs to come down, I'd probably fell it myself with a neighbor, a line, and a winch. The lay we are considering is to the south, directly away from the building, or the SW depending upon gear availability. The question of where to attach the line comes up. Having no climbing capability, I can either attach it over the limbs about 3/4 up the tree or as high as we can reach with my ladder, about 25 feet, perhaps between the two breaks. The leverage of the upper attachment is attractive but we're concerned that with an attachment well above the breaks the trunk might buckle at one of the breaks. The lower attachment would be made with a 3/8" cable and pulley system. My neighbor works in steel construction and says this will pull the weight despite the poor leverage. The concern is loss of control resulting from attaching the line well below the tree's center of gravity.

Question #2: Where do you recommend the line be attached?

Thank you in advance for your generous advice!

If that was my property that tree would have to come down. 100%.

I would probably get a professional to evaluate the best way to bring it down because it looks like it might be too hazardous to try to bring it down in one piece. It's hard to be sure, but it looks like the breaks are deeper than appropriate face cuts would be, and the dark colors make me think that there is more rot at those points. Possibly not safe to pull above either break, and probably unsafe to climb.

I would start by calling a guy I know who normally climbs for takedowns, but has access to a bucket truck when he needs one.

If that was my property that tree would have to come down. 100%.

I would probably get a professional to evaluate the best way to bring it down because it looks like it might be too hazardous to try to bring it down in one piece. It's hard to be sure, but it looks like the breaks are deeper than appropriate face cuts would be, and the dark colors make me think that there is more rot at those points. Possibly not safe to pull above either break, and probably unsafe to climb.

I would start by calling a guy I know who normally climbs for takedowns, but has access to a bucket truck when he needs one.
Agree 100%. Looks like some large limbs were pruned in the past, maybe leading to some of the rot and weak points.

Thanks for your input guys! It's reassuring to know that everyone agrees with high certainty. Your unease about weakness at the break is also influential. Appreciate your efforts to respond!

All's well that ends well!

Wind was up yesterday. Made me anxious, so I felled this the day before. Attached a 3/8" steel cable just above the lower break. My neighbor pulled with a chain fall. I made standard cuts. Tried to go easy. Everything went smoothly. Unfortunately, worry over the windows caused me to totally forget about oak wilt in high season. Fingers crossed.

Thanks again for helping me understand it needed to come down!
Threat Resolved.jpg

Oh, should you wonder, that's a red oak bole on the right still left from a tree that broke off at it's base on its own and fell last fall. That now makes 3 big ones in the last couple of years right in front of the house. Very sad!

Latest posts

Back