Today’s Stihl saw find

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Been chasing this 020AV this week, I love old saws and finally agreed a time and day to collect. Compression is 155psi. Needs a carb kit. Not sure about air leaks.

Should be a fun little saw and in good condition.

I imagine it’s late 60’s early 70’s but any info shared is much appreciated

96519AF5-D319-4696-9021-47969670AF6E.jpegE7278662-0309-44FE-8364-230C7F6A3728.jpeg

I have 2 runners--one top handle (more sought-after like yours) and one rear handle. Fun, snotty little saws. You're gonna love it.

Watchouts: the carb boot can crack and be a PITA to align with the outer "shell" or whatever. (You'll see what I mean), and take some pics of the carb linkage and how the top handle is attached. I did a lit of head scratching trying to reassemble.

Been chasing this 020AV this week, I love old saws and finally agreed a time and day to collect. Compression is 155psi. Needs a carb kit. Not sure about air leaks.

View attachment 870449View attachment 870450
great little saws.There are some hidden,/hard to find screws to pull it apart
ask in the manuals thread for an IPL to find your way around it

great little saws.There are some hidden,/hard to find screws to pull it apart
ask in the manuals thread for an IPL to find your way around it
Hey thanks mate, yes have the IPL and service manuals as well as have an 020avp which I have stripped a few times so expecting it to be similar!
After the first or second time it became very straight forward, before that, it was a pain lol.

The very first one of them I ever seen or worked on arrived at my place as a dismantled mess in a box, loose bearings rolling around and all apart. No IPL`s back then, no computers either...LOL
It got put back together by guess and by golly, it only needed a fuel line to carb grommet and carb rebuild in the end.

The very first one of them I ever seen or worked on arrived at my place as a dismantled mess in a box, loose bearings rolling around and all apart. No IPL`s back then, no computers either...LOL
It got put back together by guess and by golly, it only needed a fuel line to carb grommet and carb rebuild in the end.
is there anything you need for it? I have some NOS parts and fuel lines Keith

is there anything you need for it? I have some NOS parts and fuel lines Keith
That was approximately1995 if my old fading memory is still working. That particular saw went back to its rightful owner within one week of me getting it. I do remember I charged him a hundred bucks for my troubles putting that thing back together by feel. Just recently I started working on a Stihl 015, it had set in its case full of water for almost a year, the basement had flooded. After pulling it apart there are many corroded parts so I picked up another from Nevada. Beautiful shape from a real dry state but its carb is being a bit problematic. Got any 015 parts? :)

I have a sweet little 020av. I am afraid it is in need of rings. I have searched for a big bore cylinder kit to no avail. All I have found is a piston/ring kit. Is anyone making cylinder kits for these?

Mine is older than that one though as the chain guard does not have the muffler cover actually my muffler isn't covered at all.

tomsaw.jpeg

Back