Today's Job...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
People that didn't grow up with guns never learn that the people are the killers, not the guns. It is more or less he same everywhere - just to differnt degrees. :rolleyes:

....and then there is the ever-present feeling (or worse, pretention) of "doing something" - without actually doing anything, among polititians etc.....:rolleyes:

That is the point exactly. If all people see is what the news shows them, for example, current destabilisation in Iraq or a shooting in the US or wherever then they will always associate guns with bad things happening. :rolleyes:

A gun is a tool just like any other. It serves a purpose and carries out a job. Around here where i live we need them. We are used to having them around from an early age. It does not mean we are all redneck loonies who go around shooting anything that moves! Being around them from an early age creates an appreciation and respect for the weapon, not just a fear from the bad things we see from guns with the news media.
Farmers around here (and everywhere) have to have them for pest eradication (foxes, kangaroos and feral cats and dogs) plus for their own animals in case of sickness or if you need to kill an animal to eat.

Don't stress mate. I know a fair amount about what's gone on in the US with the various shootings. I've supported the US in a lot of anti gun arguments with people I've met.
As hard line as it may sound don't give an inch as the government will take a mile. After the Port Arthur massacre in Australia we all thought that just military style semi autos would get banned. In the end they took sporting clay guns, .22's, you name it.

Many more people get killed around here from being hit by cars but i haven't heard a word from any politicians about cars getting banned anytime soon! We all got scammed after the Port Arthur massacre, like you said Matt we all thought AR style semi auto's were going to be banned but they ended up taking a really over the top hard line. I personally had to part with a WWII vintage Lee enfield .303 bolt action and a really nice old Spanish side by side 12 gauge that had been in the family for over 50 years. All for nothing if you ask me. Just so a few of the anti-gun scare mongers can sleep a bit better in their beds! :rolleyes:

That is the point exactly. If all people see is what the news shows them, for example, current destabilisation in Iraq or a shooting in the US or wherever then they will always associate guns with bad things happening. :rolleyes:

A gun is a tool just like any other. It serves a purpose and carries out a job. Around here where i live we need them. We are used to having them around from an early age. It does not mean we are all redneck loonies who go around shooting anything that moves! Being around them from an early age creates an appreciation and respect for the weapon, not just a fear from the bad things we see from guns with the news media.
Farmers have to have them for pest eradication (foxes, kangaroos and feral cats and dogs) plus for their own animals in case of sickness or if you need to kill an animal to eat.

Many more people get killed around here from being hit by cars but i haven't heard a word from any politicians about cars getting banned anytime soon! We all got scammed after the Port Arthur massacre, like you said Matt we all thought AR style semi auto's were going to be banned but they ended up taking a really over the top hard line. I personally had to part with a WWII vintage Lee enfield .303 bolt action and a really nice old Spanish side by side 12 gauge that had been in the family for over 50 years. All for nothing if you ask me. Just so a few of the anti-gun scare mongers can sleep a bit better in their beds! :rolleyes:

Why did you lose the .303 and side by side shotgun? They weren't banned?

I don't know one single gun hater that grew up with guns. I know a few people that hate guns as a cover for animal liberation though.

Crikey Matt, don't bring up the Port Arthur Massacre of you might get me involved with this thread.

Why did you lose the .303 and side by side shotgun? They weren't banned?

I don't know one single gun hater that grew up with guns. I know a few people that hate guns as a cover for animal liberation though.

Beats me. I took them along with me with some others for a mate who was in hospital at the time and his were definitely banned. They looked at them all and told me they were taking all of them. I know they were not on the banned list but honestly there wasn't much i could do at the time. Other people i know a few towns over brought their shotties along and were told to keep them. I still feel a little disgruntled about it still now. :mad:

Beats me. I took them along with me with some others for a mate who was in hospital at the time and his were definitely banned. They looked at them all and told me they were taking all of them. I know they were not on the banned list but honestly there wasn't much i could do at the time. Other people i know a few towns over brought their shotties along and were told to keep them. I still feel a little disgruntled about it still now. :mad:

They may not have been registered? Either that our they were on a hit list or something due to prior offences.

Or else it was a 'not safe keeping' charge. 80% of my firearm cases were confiscation under the not safekeeping laws. Gawd, I could tell you some horror stories of people loosing their firearms because of some minor infringement. Plus, they were banned from having a firearm license for 10 years because of the infringement.

Near as I can tell it really pissed people off and gave them a resolve to act outside the 'system'.

The liberal agenda will never end. Logic and the facts are irrelevant. Gun control, global warming, free everything it is a religion to them.

If cattle are bad for the environment because of the methane gas they produce. Then by killing all those millions of buffalo, did we not help the environment?

They may not have been registered? Either that our they were on a hit list or something due to prior offences.

I think that may be it. There were a lot of armed holdups, around here and Wollongong and Southern Sydney, and the sawnoff shotguns were in the news a heck of a lot around the time.

Doesn't explain the 303 though? :(

The liberal agenda will never end. Logic and the facts are irrelevant. Gun control, global warming, free everything it is a religion to them.

If cattle are bad for the environment because of the methane gas they produce. Then by killing all those millions of buffalo, did we not help the environment?

The Indians,whom your home state is named after, would prolly think differently. ;)

But the fact remains that you are 20X less likely to be murdered by a firearm in OZ than in the US...

Wes, you have been reading too much MSM propaganda. The homicide rates for country people in the States and Oz is roughly the same. It is in the big cities with gang populations fighting over turf that the rate sky rockets.

Matt, I'm reluctant to do it, but I'll post a link to that thread I did on Port Arthur, but only with your permission. I know how some people freak out, you know, the ones that can't see up from down. LOL

EDIT: I'll save Matt the grief in his thread and refer to a link to it in the Aussie Dribble Thread - http://www.arboristsite.com/communi...e-dribble-thread.175005/page-617#post-4479142

If you are going to discuss it, do it in the Dribble Thread.

I just went to the Aussie Dribble thread. Good lord you Aussies do go on and on!:eek:

Aw, you think that is bad, you should see what happens when they get a belly full of piss (beer) in them. Its like the monkey cage at the Zoo. Screaming at each other, beating on their chests - then they finally settle down and start picking lice off of each other.

Just remember though that gun related deaths that are quoted in the US include murders, suicides, burglars shot by homeowners, criminals shot by police etc. Statistics from other countries generally only included firearm related murders - comparing numbers directly across the globe is not always a good idea. For example if we decided to choose figures just from Western Sydney at the moment with a high middle eastern population you'd find we are worse than the US. There is no doubt that there are some issues with mass shootings in the US but the media make it sound like it's worse than Somalia or Iraq.
I'd rather not wreck this thread with gun debates so if anybody wants to start a thread in another section I'm more than happy to let rip there.
The way the media carry on regarding US gun laws the general public think you can walk in and buy an M60 off the shelf.

Apologies for derailing the gun control "rant" but some of us have been doing some work. :laugh:
I am glad to be sitting down writing this as i am buggered. Even my hands are sore as i type. I wasn't supposed to be working today but i had a ton of stuff to get finished. We had finally cleared our backlog of emergency callouts with all the strong winds we have been having. It has been a hectic last 3 weeks is all i can say. :chop:

Since it is school holidays at the moment we have been doing a lot of large dangerous removals at many schools due to the litigation issue that has surfaced again in the media recently. It has really snowballed since the child died from getting hit by a falling branch a while back. Around our area they have really been savage but very random in their assault on tree removal. Trees that were not in high pedestrian areas or near buildings and had not been given any priority by ours or any other arborists reports were labelled for removal, while trees that were labelled by us as medium to high priority removals, due to proximity to high traffic areas and visible damage and defects were left completely alone. WTF?? Some of these trees had to be seen to be believed. 30m eucalyptus with a 30 degree lean over an often frequented basketball court that has visible collar rot and evidence of white ant infestation is left to stand, while the 2 adjacent trees that are in a low traffic area and are visibly more healthy are removed? I know that the department of education are running scared and simply responding to this assault of litigation by simply deciding that removing any and all trees they see fit is in the long run cheaper for them than loosing court cases due to students or teachers suffering serious injury or death. Again it is a case of bureaucracy gone mad. One of the high schools we have been working at just looks crap. Like a concrete jungle. We have removed so many trees that it looks almost complete devoid of life. If many of these trees had been better cared for and maintained while growing almost many of these problems could have been avoided. Some trees we have removed are over 100 years old and the schools are left with ugly and barren concrete landscapes, as obviously these trees cannot be replaced in the short term. Due to the threat of litigation the schools probably will not be allowed to replace these removed trees with anything larger than shrubs. :dizzy:

This was me at a local school 5 minutes away from where i live, working today clearing up the mess of a couple of medium diameter eucalyptus that we dropped a few days before. To the left of shot alongside the euc trunk next to my ute is the schools sports field. Both these tree had a significant lean towards the sports field. Both had advanced collar rot and extensive black ant nests that had hollowed out many large branches. They also had white ant damage in the cores of the trunks. Unusual as white ants and black ants are usually not found in similar parts of the tree. The termites however had moved on and only left the evidence of their presence.

upload_2014-7-12_23-8-35.jpeg

Easy to see the extent of the rot in the tree from this shot. This one was infested with massive nests of small black ants.

upload_2014-7-12_23-13-57.jpeg

No, before anyone asks, i did not fell it with the 346XP! :laugh: I was using the stump as a work bench as she's not oiling properly at all and in this tough hardwood i was cooking the chain. Lucky i spotted it straight away and switched to the more ruggedly reliable Dolmar. I will have to pull the Husky apart and see whats up. It has started leaking bar oil when sitting since i got home also. Probably where the oil lines join the pump i am guessing?
We had a bloke we know come with a tilt tray to collect the trunks as it was just too time consuming for me to cut it all up. He has done this sort of thing for us many times before. He broke his winch cable trying to get the trunk section in front of the stump onto his truck. He was not a happy camper is all i can say. His language would have made a sailor blush. I let him be as i had nothing to offer to improve his mood. ;)
A lot of core rot visible in the trunks here. Some large branches were really hollowed out, some around 80% hollow.

upload_2014-7-12_23-14-25.jpeg

Nothing to do with the job really, just a shameless plug for Treestuff and the awesome Dolmar 5105!! It saved my bacon as if i continued with the 346XP i would have toasted a few chains and bars with it's refusal to oil today.
I had my climb helmet on the whole time i was cutting as it was bloody windy and my head was freezing with just a cap on. Might have looked like a sunny day but it was only around 10 degrees C max all day. Add in the wind chill factor from the southerly wind coming off the snowy mountains and it was chilly to say the least! Just glad to have it done. Not sure what we are going to do about the trunks but that isn't my worry. I guess i will find out soon enough.

upload_2014-7-12_23-24-5.jpeg

Ha ha! Good one that is just what i needed! :laugh:

As it was the 28" bar on the MS660 was even woefully inadequate. Due to the irregular shape of the tree i had to make 2 scarves, one on either side of the trunk. A 50" would have been nice but the 660 would have given up in that wood! :eek:
Sparks were flying from the bar and even with a freshly ground chisel chain the sawdust was coming out like powder. It blunted real quick. It was green wood but i had to swap out to a semi chisel just so i had a sharp chain for the back cut.

Latest posts

Back