Today's Job...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, just don't put oil in it next time you use it. It's a mess fixing it afterwards

Ha ha! I would like to see how long it would have lasted with no oil in it! Don't think I'll be trying that somehow!

I won't be using it at all until i get a chance to pull it apart and fix it. There was hardly any oil getting onto the bar and in this kind of wood having none or inadequate oiling will cook the chain and bar real quick.
Too nice a saw to neglect it like that. Plus they are not made any more, so more of an incentive to not do something stupid. :rolleyes:

This was a branch off another gum we removed at another school we were working at. This branch was around 8" diameter. More than big enough to kill someone if it snapped. This branch was over a high pedestrian area. Black ants had created many nests in this tree. You could smell them from a distance even before we had started cutting. Many large and long overhanging branches were severely hollowed out from the ants. This here is just one branch and it was not even the worst we found. There was only about 2 times the bark thickness of wood, at the thinnest spot, left in this branch!

upload_2014-7-13_12-43-40.jpeg

Here was an emergency callout we had this week that simply amazed me! The owner had cut a tree root clean through for reasons unknown. o_O The tree, a small spruce, was in a raised garden bed so the soil was not very stable anyway to support a tree this size. Due to the garden wall the root system was unable to grow evenly also. We had been having 60+ kph winds (40 mph) and when we got there the tree was simply rocking back and forth about 2 meters (6 feet) at the very top. Damn lucky it had not snapped and fell on their house. Also the power cable running from the street was directly under this tree and the tree was touching the power cable as it was rocking. It it had snapped or we had miscalculated something we would have had a live 240v high amperage cable laying on the ground where we were working. A big thanks to the owner for their intelligence in cutting this root! :rolleyes:

upload_2014-7-13_15-24-3.jpeg

Here you can see the garden wall cracking from the movement of the tree. The lean can be easily seen too. The power cable that runs to the house can be seen to right alongside the trunk. The entire root ball was lifting as the tree was rocking!
upload_2014-7-13_15-24-22.jpeg

Our machine only just reached! Because the driveway was so narrow we could not get closer to the tree because the stabilisers for the cherry picker would not fit.
The top was all done with a polesaw and just very small pieces were cut until we got the height down. Then we removed the upper branches to minimise the sail area the wind was hitting. Then it was blocked down in small sections with the wood and lower branches thrown back towards the camera away from the power cable. All is well that ends well, but damn! Are some people stupid. It would have reached their house with no trouble, and taken out their power also!
I really wonder if they wanted the tree gone and rather than go through council to get approval and have to wait, they cut the root said it was an accident and then cry EMERGENCY so we have to come and cut it down straight away!
Crazy logic if you ask me! Surely no one could be that dumb? :rolleyes:
upload_2014-7-13_15-25-57.jpeg

you could pull up at the local cafe and grab a thickshake,burger and chips and a box of shotshells maybe a few packets of 22lr as well for under $20 ,those days are long gone:(

Sent from my GT-S7500T using Tapatalk 2

Hopefully my coffee plantation (all four bushes) will produce enough quality beans to keep me in coffee. There seems to be a bit of art in fermenting the beans and then roasting them. I'm probably going to have a few disgusting cups of coffee before I get it right.

How are the plants going now I've recenty started(<6m) buying green beans but to make it from pot to cup would be amazing as well

Apparently coffee bushes respond well to some extra nitrogen fertilizer, so I used some around the bushes. Crikey, I'm going to have enough coffee beans for the next few years just off of one year's harvest. I could have gotten away with just two bushes.

It is a pretty bush with small white flowers for someone that is into landscaping. The beans would be an extra bonus.

It doesn't frost where the bushes are and the climate would be temperate/sub tropical. I'm on the NSW coast west of Port Macquarie up on the Comboyne Plateau - 2,000'/600 meters. Even though it is now winter, the bushes are still throwing out blooms. - Maybe I used too much nitrogen LOL!

Another fellow tried growing coffee up here, but his plants were too exposed to the wind. Coffee bushes apparently need a bit of protection from the wind, so mine are down the side of my house with a wind fence at one end and an Olive and Macadamia tree at the other end. They get full sunshine during the summer, but during the winter the roof line cuts off most of the sunlight, but the bushes still get some sunlight on the top of the bushes.

I got the soil pH too high for the first year (I got too generous with the wood ash and it hit a pH of 7). That stunted the bushes for the first two years (leaves dropped off and they looked dead) So I've brought the pH back down to 5.5 with sulphate of ammonia and urea - both of which have heaps of nitrogen.

Latest posts

Back