Today's Job...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for posting the pic's Matt, Well done and I hope you get a good nights sleep mate, I think that rate would be hard yakka. One of the hand fallers from the Adelaide Hills company lives the next street over from here, nice blokes, but I'm glad you got the job. for one reason, because they wouldn't have posted pics here.

Unless my saw fitness improves I may wish they got the job ;)
My 5100-S is too small for most of the trees and the 3120XP is overkill on 95% of them. If I had to use the 3120 all day I'd have averaged 10 trees an hour and would have to be hospitalised!

hth250_1col.jpg

Bloody computer ate my reply a couple of hours ago, so

Too bloody cheap for that hard yakka Matt !

I'm stunned how big those She Oaks are for their age, they certainly haven't suffered a lack of moisture.
Shame if it isn't usable, as the boys above have said, it's usually a pretty useful timber.

Too bloody cheap for that hard yakka Matt !
I'm stunned how big those She Oaks are for their age, they certainly haven't suffered a lack of moisture.
Shame if it isn't usable, as the boys above have said, it's usually a pretty useful timber.

Yeah I agree its too cheap but I really wanted to do it and had to undercut the "big boys" ;)
Not only that though Rick, I've been selling them a fair bit of gear for their MS192T's, 200T's, Farm Bosses etc so I suppose you could call it "value adding", or just plain old stupidity.
This 1000 acre property is just one farm of about 7-8 in the area (AgriExchange). Also a good way to get your name out there and possibly get to do some "cream" type jobs for them in the future. You don't have to chase them for money either unlike some people I've done work for ;)
It isn't much money though when you can make what I did today dropping 3 trees in somebody's back yard in a couple of hours.
Good workout though - I'm no fitness freak but a hard day's work always makes you feel good, once the pain subsides...

Daayyyummmm!!
Great pictures and an interesting discussion of the timber.
I bet you are glad you only have to drop them!

I am in awe...I dropped two 23" dbh this week, cut up for firewood, crown trucked away took me....well I won't say

We have two species of Casuarina over here, introduced as windbreaks after our cedar forest was decimated by scale in the 1940's 50's. C cunninghamiana and C. equisetifolia. I'm always interested to compare how they grow here on the other side of the world compared to their native habitat.

C. cunninghamiana is known locally as 'running' or 'walking' casuarina as it spreads into a grove by shooting up suckers from the roots. It also tends to be softer than C. equi...has coarser 'needles' and thicker bark. I don't see any indication of suckers near your trunks
C. equisetifolia grows much taller, has thin layered bark that sheds in strips and plates. It is also HARD!!! We use it for firewood, burns clean and hot, some folks have cured it very slowly and made cabinetry, but if its not cured right it splits like mad.

I've experienced the water literally pouring out of the trunks, felled two up a hill, two minutes later, water was running out of the bottom of the trunk. I spiked one for a trim near power lines, cut about 20' out of the top of four or five branches, when I got down, water was coming out of the spike holes!

Love the pictures, keep them coming!:chainsaw:

We have two species of Casuarina over here, introduced as windbreaks after our cedar forest was decimated by scale in the 1940's 50's. C cunninghamiana and C. equisetifolia. I'm always interested to compare how they grow here on the other side of the world compared to their native habitat.
C. cunninghamiana is known locally as 'running' or 'walking' casuarina as it spreads into a grove by shooting up suckers from the roots. It also tends to be softer than C. equi...has coarser 'needles' and thicker bark. I don't see any indication of suckers near your trunks
C. equisetifolia grows much taller, has thin layered bark that sheds in strips and plates. It is also HARD!!! We use it for firewood, burns clean and hot, some folks have cured it very slowly and made cabinetry, but if its not cured right it splits like mad.
I've experienced the water literally pouring out of the trunks, felled two up a hill, two minutes later, water was running out of the bottom of the trunk. I spiked one for a trim near power lines, cut about 20' out of the top of four or five branches, when I got down, water was coming out of the spike holes!

Love the pictures, keep them coming!:chainsaw:

Thanks for the reply mate. If C. cunninghamiana is the suckering variey then these are not C. cunninghamiana and I have the species wrong. I'll find out for sure and post back as its definately the non suckering variety. A lot of fruit property owners are regretting planting Casuarinas as windbreaks now as they have a tendency to run roots a fair way into the orchard. On this particular property citrus trees are suffering and stunted up to 30m away near the bigger trees.

Looks like a fun job. You'll start to feel better about the time you finish all the hard work.lol

Thanks for all the pics.

Mr. HE:cool:

Excellent pictures and looks like a ton of work. :jawdrop:Wish for you the wood is good for something.

Interesting about the windbreaks, orchards and such.

Thanks for the reply mate. If C. cunninghamiana is the suckering variey then these are not C. cunninghamiana and I have the species wrong. I'll find out for sure and post back as its definately the non suckering variety. A lot of fruit property owners are regretting planting Casuarinas as windbreaks now as they have a tendency to run roots a fair way into the orchard. On this particular property citrus trees are suffering and stunted up to 30m away near the bigger trees.

Cool...
Casuarina are now considered an invasive species, they now self seed vigourously in the rocky coastline and beach dunes, took almost 50 years to make the transition...they still grow as tall as ever, don't respond to wind shear and so topple over happily in a hurricane, taking chunks of shoreline and cliff with them...that are habitat for white tailed tropicbirds...they change the soil chemistry, supress and overshade native species...keeps me in business, got one to dismantle tomorrow over a squash court!

Happy felling, hot bath with Radox helps, or give it a few days and it all fades into a blur!

Cool...
Casuarina are now considered an invasive species, they now self seed vigourously in the rocky coastline and beach dunes, took almost 50 years to make the transition...they still grow as tall as ever, don't respond to wind shear and so topple over happily in a hurricane, taking chunks of shoreline and cliff with them...that are habitat for white tailed tropicbirds...they change the soil chemistry, supress and overshade native species...keeps me in business, got one to dismantle tomorrow over a squash court!

Happy felling, hot bath with Radox helps, or give it a few days and it all fades into a blur!

It's often the same story isn't it, take a species, plant, animal or insect, it doesn't really matter and place it somewhere it isn't native and it has the potential to really become a pest.

She Oaks/Casuarina's are being re-planted here in large numbers along creeks and rivers to help shore up eroded banks and in some trials slow the flows down to what they were pre white colonisation.
Of course this is their native habitat.

Glad to see the 7900 is working well for you.

I love these things mate. Although mine spat a base gasket about 6 months after I got it they really are as good as anything on the market I reckon, regardless of the price. That's why I get a bit arky when a few guys on this site bash them at any opportunity ;) They're so good I've ordered a new modded one off of Sir Snelling with the HD filter kit. Can't wait.

I remember the gasket issue you had. I periodically check the head bolts to make sure they're properly torqued, especially with newer saws. Brad said something about you and a new 7900.;)

Yeah he was worried about being seen ordering one with the new HD setup after saying quite openly how ugly it was.
I can picture him continously telling everyone "Its not for me, honest. It isn't. Honest" :)

Back