Today's Job...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I have been reading this thread as time allows for a couple of days now and have but one thing to say....MCW, you totally rock!!! :rock: This is without a doubt the most interesting and entertaining thread on this and probably any other site around. I tip my hard-hat to you sir, keep up the good work and be safe! :msp_thumbup:

At least ya didn't hit the well. Too bad no persimmons were hurt. Those are messy things.

Yeah they are already a bit of a "has been" variety. Not much money in them now. They are also quite variable depending on season and fertiliser inputs. One minute they taste nice with soft edible skin and the next season it's like biting into a rhino's arse. Well I think that's what it would be like :)

WHAT!!! Matt likes a gay barista?

I'm not lucky enough to even know a barista Rick :( I don't live in the land of café.

Matt, missed your comments about the coffee pooping animals. In South America I think they are recovered from goat droppings. A mate of mine re-visited Viet Nam after 40 years and the Vietnamese had coffee beans that were 'dropped' by another animal. Anyway, he brought me back a small bag to try.

I think it may have had a smoother taste, but I didn't have the 'un-pooped' beans to compare them to.

I think I will just ferment them for a couple of weeks in the shed.

For hygiene's sake Terry you could always just eat the beans yourself. At least you know what the hell you've been eating :D

Doe's look like you are having fun with what you do Matt!

Thanks Norm. It will be a sad day when it's all done and that won't be far away.

I don't care too much for the commercial versions but love the old, sloppy astringent varieties.

Not many left Rick apart from backyards. Good for jam etc from memory.

Those casuarinas sure are paying the bills! How long has that job been going now?

As for coffee, I can't get over that even a cup of bog standard flat white is like $3.20 in Oz...even gas station coffee in BDA is only $1.50!

So far in Tassie, the best cup of coffee on the road is at a truck stop halfway between Ross and Launceston at Epping Forest...I like it strong, not flimsy coffe coloured hot water. They also do an awesome egg, bacon and cheese on a roll!

The 260 is going great guns...thanks again Matt!

Hi Fiona.
Great to hear the 260 is paying for itself. Hope you've been busy down there and managed to find heaps of tree work. Elizabeth Town Café between Devonport and Launceston has the best coffee I've tried in Tassie. Banjo's bakery chain also pretty good.
The job has been going now for basically 2 years I think. Still loving it and yeah the money is handy and has certainly helped fund my CAD disorder :cheers:

Well, I have been reading this thread as time allows for a couple of days now and have but one thing to say....MCW, you totally rock!!! :rock: This is without a doubt the most interesting and entertaining thread on this and probably any other site around. I tip my hard-hat to you sir, keep up the good work and be safe! :msp_thumbup:

Hi mate.
Glad you're enjoying the thread. I've enjoyed adding bits and pieces as I've gone along as much as you guys have enjoyed reading it. Without feedback like yours I'd have stopped adding stuff ages ago :cheers:

Hi peoples.
Just a bit of interesting information from this forestry course I did over the last couple of days. I've outlined a few interesting points from the course below...

Firstly I was unaware that all forestry saws and SES/CFA/CFS saws used in forests (emergency services) in Australia are meant to be legally heat tested and accredited. Any point on the saw that exceeds 340°C is against regulations and cannot be used - large fines apply. If used and the operator starts a bushfire they are unlikely to be covered by any insurance.

The new Stihl 441 M-Tronic saws that the training organisation were sent for testing by Stihl were returned as they did not meet the standards and were too hot, indicating lean running and cannot be retuned without Stihl tech help by all accounts. Although it sounds simple I wonder whether these saws will comply with EPA regs if richened up to cool them down?

Husqvarna saws also have a habit of cracking this maximum temperature however this is due to them being set too lean (in Australia) from the factory. The 3120's with a fixed H jet are the worst offenders apparently as they cannot be richened up (easily) to run cooler.

It is very rare for a factory supplied and tuned Stihl to crack the magic 340°C, apart from the 441 M Tronic.

In forestry any changes made to chains OUTSIDE of factory specs are not on in Australia and are against regulations. My 7900 bucked a bit during a bore cut and the instructor was straight onto it. He knew the rakers were too low immediately and I was not allowed to use my saw with that particular chain again (RSC with rakers about .035") - I had to buy a new chain that afternoon (he has a race 084 with tuned pipe - nice guy and knew his stuff when it came to chains and all other saw related things!). The only .050" 3/8" chain I could buy from a local dealer that afternoon (to satisfy their factory spec chain requirements) was Oregon 72DP semi chisel with the bumper links - similar deal as the LPX Sawtroll raves about here on AS. I stand corrected regarding the Oregon chains like these and it cut EXTREMELY well and very smooth (sorry Sawtroll but it's STILL low kickback chain ;) - apologies and it impressed me a LOT). The "ramps" are quite low so actually would not interfere with shorter cutters and lower raker height after extended chain use and sharpening. Even the instructors were impressed that it was semi chisel and extremely impressed with how well it cut on my modded 7900 with 8 pin and 17" bar. It bore cut beautifully.

He also picked up on my downward facing 3rd exhaust port on the 7900 and said that would be banned in forestry as well due to a fire risk. He's correct and I have lit up bark before on longer sustained cuts - I'll order a new muffler and run two larger exhaust ports as this 3 port idea has bugged me for a while now. He loved the 7900 though and was very impressed as were the rest of the trainees. The saws they supplied were a 441 and 362 - both unimpressive saws as far as I was concerned and I used both. The 362 was a hard starter, even when warm. He said that if Dolmar built a decent 90+cc saw they would have been more popular in Australian Forestry.

There is also a 3 year limit from date of manufacture on helmets - mine was 2 months out of date so I couldn't wear it and that evening bought a new Husky helmet (and the DP chain) which is very nice - my fat head didn't like the supplied Stihl helmets and I ended up with a headache at the end of the first day due to two small lumps on the straps digging into the back of my head. The Husky muffs are also a lot better and the Husky helmet was $60 cheaper than the Stihl!

Every single piece of equipment these guys have is Stihl for one simple reason. They are given it all for free! They used to use a few Huskys and Stihls and were running Oregon bars and chain. Stihl Australia came along and told them that if they used Stihl everywhere they would be supplied it all for nothing. It was like one big Stihl advertisement but as the instructor said it saves their training organisation 10's of 1000's of dollars a year. Smart move on Stihl's part and when the other trainees are calling full chisel chain "Super Chisel" and semi chisel "Micro Chisel" you can see how well Stihl's advertising works.

You must wear high vis clothing!

You must put out "Tree Felling In Progress" signs.

We only dropped self sown Pines in a swamp area neighbouring Radiata pine plantation woodlots (mechanically harvested). No biggies here and only up to maybe 24" max. All cuts on single stemmed trees were as low as possible. Being used to hardwoods I was absolutely amazed how the hingewood on these trees hung on all the way to the ground and had to be trimmed off in 90% of cases. Probably the saddest bit of news I heard was that only 16 manual fallers remain in the area. I think they used to have 400 in the late 80's until harvesters came along.

A few piccys...

090820111474.jpg

090820111475.jpg

Over she goes...

090820111479.jpg

090820111480.jpg

Stuart Rayson the instructor (30 years felling experience in hardwoods and softwoods + saw racing!) giving us some crosscutting tips...

100820111494.jpg

100820111496.jpg

100820111497.jpg

Last edited:
A Stihl 066 sectioned up as a training aid back at LITA's office. One of the newer instructors ran an 066 for years in hardwood plantations, still owns it, and has already weighed up what parts are useable :)

100820111490.jpg

100820111491.jpg

100820111492.jpg

A loop of new Stihl RSC with a cutter on backwards. This is the second time Stuart has seen this recently. Apparently John (the other instructor) was borecutting and having all sorts of trouble. Then this was discovered upon closer inspection...

100820111493.jpg

Stuart is a big fan of Carlton chain, used to use LM when he was racing, and was extremely pis*ed off when I told him that Carlton had discontinued making skip chain.

A boxed out pine and a sawn off branch used to turn a log over - interesting but in this case didn't work as the small flexible branch snapped. A bigger branch we used also snapped with 4 of us heaving on it.

090820111485.jpg

And a new gadget from Stihl which I believe hasn't seen the Australian market yet. The one sent for testing was in .325" but it files the cutters and does the depth guages all in one pass. Interesting unit - one of the trainees had a little Husky 345 with only half sharpened .325" chain and we tried it on that. Worked a treat and the little Husky impressed everybody!
The "flat" file for the depth guages isn't actually flat as you'd expect. It has a square profile. Not sure of price but I bet it will be expensive.

090820111473.jpg

@MCW

so were you there to help teach the class?

No I was there as a student. Although I have reasonable experience in a specific tree type I took on a feller's course to gain more experience, a broader range of cuts in different tree species, and proper training. This course was just the basic one - I am doing the intermediate course at the end of September, then I want to do the advanced course. Funnily enough basically 90% of the trees I have felled in this thread qualify as advanced and a number of them would be classed as actually too dangerous to fell in a forestry situation.
I asked the trainer about the advanced course and they rarely run them anymore as they cannot find large enough, non protected tree species. I emailed LITA tonight and sent some photos of the Casuarinas in this thread as I may end up doing one on one training on this actual property to gain my advanced certification.

Very interesting Matt as always :msp_thumbup: I'm hoping to do one of those courses someday also - always up for learning news way of doing things especially if it involves chainsaws :D

How did you find the 441 compared to your 7900?

Good stuff there Matt,looks like you are having fun,keep it coming.

With those Stihl combo cutter raker files a mate has one and they do work well i think he payed $70 for it but i dont think the 7/32 files will fit being bigger than the smaller Stihl 13/64 files are loose in the frame so they rotated for even wear.

Good deal Matt. I've wanted to take a class like for a few years now, I have a lot to learn when it comes to felling.

Not surprised the 362 was unimpressive, without retuning them they're way too lean out of the box, much like your 261.

So, Al, I've been wondering...

Why did Cam Donald get banished from your sig?

And why no love for Cadel Evans?

Cam came second! :msp_thumbdn:...................not really........a bluddy great effort around that street circuit. :msp_thumbsup: I took it down because the race had run.

Cadel? Bluddy champion but no motor in his cycle...............he shaves his legs and wears tight lycra!

Back