Today's Job...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rudolf73, The weather couldn't be better. Fog in the am sun come's out, sunny and warm nice breeze. Fog in the evening. Awesome Love the thread Matt!:clap:

Back out cutting again today and made it to the property at about 8.30am. I also had the filthiest, crappiest cup of Macca's coffee I've ever had. I tuffed up though and drank it as I run on caffiene in the morning. Nice cool weather but once again a strong Northerly sprung up again and put a bit of a stop on the row I intended to fell. Instead I trimmed out the bottoms with the 200T and felled a few smaller ones along the way...

060820111451.jpg

060820111452.jpg

The little 200T is a weapon for stuff like this.
I also had my first ever barber chair. It was a slow affair and was simply caused by me swinging a heavy side leaner around with a very closed face cut. Idea was to shut the face and pop it off the stump. It had other ideas and the hinge had more integrity than I thought :) Not a biggy and I was well out the way. It split with about as much force as a wet chopstick...

060820111448.jpg

060820111450.jpg

I then swapped to a larger run of trees where there was an open area to the south. There were a few sizeable trees in this lot and the Dolmar and 24" bar performed well as always. Have I mentioned I love the 7900's elsewhere in this thread? Yeah, I think I have...

060820111453.jpg

060820111455.jpg

I also must have held the 7900 a funny way when moving around as I had a molten lump of my chaps stuck on the muffler and a new hole in them dammit...

060820111456.jpg

I had other plans for this tree and it was leaning heavily to the right whereas I wanted to send it left. I intended to knock it over against it's lean with a larger tree from the right but just managed to brush it. I was way off. I ended up cutting another scarf and sending it with it's lean.

060820111454.jpg

I decided to head along a row next to some Avocados where for some reason heaps of suckers have shot up. The 200T was perfect once again. My aim was to send some of the smaller stuff down the middle of the Avocado rows and the neighbouring Persimmon rows. Smacked a few Avocados off and did some impromptu pruning of a Persimmon tree with a wayward Casuarina but otherwise all good. Some of these were ugly...

060820111458.jpg

060820111459.jpg

060820111460.jpg

060820111461.jpg

I then had to do a runner back to the ute and pack some of the more susceptible gear inside the ute (boxes of chains, chaps etc) in a hurry as it started to absolutely pi*s down with rain.
Saws got a bit wet but they'll live. I'd just about had enough for the day anyway and did 6 1/2 hours...

060820111462.jpg

060820111463.jpg

And the road on the way home...

060820111466.jpg

I'll be out there again tomorrow and have conned Tracy into coming out and taking a few videos.

[snip]
I also had the filthiest, crappiest cup of Macca's coffee I've ever had. I tuffed up though and drank it as I run on caffiene in the morning.
[snip]

A little tip mate.
When at Macca's the only safe way to have a coffee is a Mocha, unless you know the 'barista' (and I use that term loosely) most haven't even done the in store coffee training and the rest don't take it in or care.

I only trust one barista at any macca's in Oz (she is a real barista and made me a damned good latté on Thursday night) and FWIW I don't trust their beans anyway.

Coffee snob ? moi ? :D

I think Macca's has a new policy where they give you a free one if the last coffee was bad. And they reckon their so called baristas are being retrained also. Hopefully its better than the first lot of 'training'.

I think Macca's has a new policy where they give you a free one if the last coffee was bad. And they reckon their so called baristas are being retrained also. Hopefully its better than the first lot of 'training'.

I should move this to the dribble thread, but that statement is disingenuous at best, a triumph of marketing over substance.

Lets just say that I 'know' the above mentioned barista 'very well' (yes, in the biblical sense) and no extra training has happened since the current ad campaign started for anyone that they are aware of.

The roast has changed recently too, the beans are oily and don't smell 'right'. Oily beans aren't good.

FWIW the best coffee we've both had recently, and a good chance for the best ever was at a hip little café in Byron called 'Bay Leaf'
They roast their own beans across the road from the café and the macchiato I had was probably the nicest coffee I've ever sipped.
I coffee'd and ate there for four days straight. I could wax lyrical, I truly was in raptures. :biggrin:

OK, I'm a nut, but I take my coffee seriously... :laugh:

A little tip mate.
When at Macca's the only safe way to have a coffee is a Mocha, unless you know the 'barista' (and I use that term loosely) most haven't even done the in store coffee training and the rest don't take it in or care.

I only trust one barista at any macca's in Oz (she is a real barista and made me a damned good latté on Thursday night) and FWIW I don't trust their beans anyway.

Coffee snob ? moi ? :D

Ain't no Baristas in the Drive Thru :) They've had to have changed their beans though - prior to the last few months at least their drive thru coffee was palatable. It is now absolutely crap instead of mostly crap.

Oh and Wayne makes one of the meanest cappucinos I've ever had. Damn near worth the 3 hour drive :cheers:

Last edited:
Oh Matt, you're almost asking for it by buying a 'coffee' at the drive through.

You may as well buy a packet of No Doze at the Chemist if you only need a caffeine hit :p

:laugh:

Ditto Al, but I still love my little Italian stove top model. :D

I recently bought a new stove top in stainless and even though it's not made in Italy, it's a damn fine percolator. I looked at some $100 plus jobs and I couldn't see them being worth that much extra against this $35 jobby.
:msp_thumbup:

I like coffee.

My french press just broke though and trying to decide what I'm going to do next. We were doing cold brew coffee for a while but it was too much hassle and although it has a lot less acid, it also loses some taste.

I have two friends with Moccamasters and although the coffee they make is amazing, I can't justify $300 for a coffee maker.

I am leaning toward one made in Japan. Looks like a good compromise.

I like coffee.

My french press just broke though and trying to decide what I'm going to do next. We were doing cold brew coffee for a while but it was too much hassle and although it has a lot less acid, it also loses some taste.

I have two friends with Moccamasters and although the coffee they make is amazing, I can't justify $300 for a coffee maker.

I am leaning toward one made in Japan. Looks like a good compromise.

If you want one of the best Drip Machines, get one of these. The Life and Times of the OCS-8 and OCS-12 Coffee brewers

They cost about $160 here, but most likely cheaper in the USA.

Back