TonyM - 670

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bob gresko

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi Tony, I've been wondering if you have been running your new Echo 670, and what you think of it so far? I won't be able to run mine much 'till state forest opens for firewood cutting on 5/15. However, I do like the way the 670 is built and how it is balanced. Does anyone make aftermarket mufflers for them that would increase power? Thanks Bob

I did time some cuts again after opening up the exhaust, however I used about 18" dia pieces this time. The Echo was again about 83% as fast as the 372XP. I should repeat it one more time using about 8" dia as I did before, as the saw does seem faster than it did initially. I have not been cutting lately, as I've been reorganizing my barn and all my firewood to make room for all the wood I've got to get out of the woods yet. I can't answer on the aftermarket exhaut.

The mufflers on the smaller Echos are easily modified using a drill and small file. The outer half is held on with small phillips screws so it comes apart easily. I would hope the larger Echos are designed similarly.

Unless you do not own a drill and/or cannot use a screwdriver, there is not much reason to pay to have your muffler modified. Simply make the existing holes larger to increase flow. It ain't rocket science. :p

Use a drill? I don't know, sounds complicated. Think this would do?

drill.jpg

:blob2:

(That's an 18V DeWalt hammer drill at the bottom, for scale.)

That looks like a 10 or 12 amp drill like we use to take wood cores. You have to hold onto those things when they bite unless you want a bruised forearm.

Bingo. It's a late '60s B&D 12A, 600RPM drill with a 13/16" chuck. Not any good for metal because of the high speed, but a monster in wood. I've heard tales of guys getting bodily dismembered with these things.

The drill, my 111S, and the Marantz 2600 are my three idols to silly excess. :D

Last edited:
Our B & D's were 10 amps, while our Stanley's were 12 amps. I know of one guy here who fractured his wrist when one of those got away from him. We use them with generators, and you can only run them one at a time, or the generator doesnt put out enough juice for them.

We now use gas powered drills, ill have to resize some pics but ill post them later.

Marantz 2600? That piece hasn't been around since the late 70's. What a monster. 300 WPC, multipath scope, way over 50 lbs. It was my first big power receiver. Blew up the original one after about 6 months and they replaced the whole thing for free under warranty. Went from that to a Phase Linear 700 Series II and blew that up too (driving older Quad ESL electrostatics which dip way below 4 Ohms and wicked reactive as well). Brought the 2600 out to use in place of the Phase, then back to the Phase, then finally got into Mark Levinson in the mid 80's. Gave the 2600 to my cousin about 10 years ago and it's still running in his game room.

Oh yeah. I have a 24 Volt DeWalt 1" hammer drill as well, but only one chainsaw. A Poulan Wild Thing.:eek:

Check this place out:

http://www.classic-audio.com/marantz/mindex.html

Back