Too hot for A fire? Let’s smoke some meat!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Streblerm

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Getting ready for a summer party and it’s just going to be way to hot for a fire. I can still make use of some firewood though.

Who needs a fancy smoker? Not me. Just a basket full of cherry and hickory and some indirect heat from the old gas grill.

I hot smoke for a few hours to develop some flavor and bark then finish off in the roaster at 25o for 8hrs.

Hot smoke, no bark, and super dry wood gives the best flavor IMO. None of that creosote flavor from smoldering wood.

That’s 18# of pork. It’s gonna be a big party.
BF1831CB-CBBC-4E35-A7F1-7D5EE6A4F368.jpeg

I cold smoke pork sides every fall.. I have a 5gal metal bucket with lid. The lid has a 2 in hole drilled in the middle of it to let the smoke out. I fill the bucket with wood chips and sit on top of a turkey fryer. I'll hang the meat just above the bucket and let the smoke rise thru it. It takes about 4 hours to do a cold smoke and you need to get the meat temp to about 100F. Last fall I smoked the meat for 8 hrs and it was a little to smokey for my taste. This fall I am going to try 6hrs, Once smoked, I slice to bacon strips and pack in the freezer. I like it fried like bacon in the morning, but its main use is to season beans in the crock pot. I might want to add, my side meat is already sugar cured before its smoked.

I have one of those cheap charcoal grills with the smoker part on the side and it works great. I smoke stuff a few times a summer. This year I cut down a cherry tree and made some wood for the smoker.

Latest posts

Back