too many screws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What do you do at the end of a job when you still have screws that should have been installed?

• open the manual

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • pay a real sawyer to figure it out for you

• ask smart people stupid questions

• Total voters

user 167698

more handy than handsom
Reaction score
I tore my Stihl 031AV apart to clean it up and stick a new carburetor, sprocket, and ignition chip in there. That all seemed to go well until it was near fully assembled and I realized I was going to have an extra screw left over. DOH!

I tore it apart again and couldn't figure out where this "extra" screw goes.
I put it all back together and found a screw hole inside the carburetor compartment It looks like it had been used, but I cant figure out what it is used for.

See the picture.
and if this picture isn't good enough, I have some more here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/E98oUu6GKgm7VcjCA
Thanks!

WaltStihl-031AV screw hole.jpg

On the older generations of 031 (early and mid), it is another top cover mount screw. The orange tab should go on the inside and screw into that. Just like the 2 in front of that above your carb. Haven’t really worked on the late model 031 much so not sure if they changed it.

Thank you! It almost looks like there is a little orange rubbed off around the screw hole and on the back side of that same hole, on gas tank just behind the on/off switch, there is a little spot where something (a screw?) has been scratching the white paint off. I'll have to get out there tomorrow morning and have a closer look at how the orange plate attaches there or if it even does.

It’s the easy screw to miss cause its up under the handle a little. Usually one of the last i put in cause i forget its there until i have one screw left! If the screw is too long, it could be rubbing the tank on the other side. It should be a normal length screw like all the others on it though. If your av buffers get mushy, it will flex pretty good in there. Had a rubbed through kill switch wire on more than one saw.

It’s the easy screw to miss cause its up under the handle a little. Usually one of the last i put in cause i forget its there until i have one screw left! If the screw is too long, it could be rubbing the tank on the other side. It should be a normal length screw like all the others on it though. If your av buffers get mushy, it will flex pretty good in there. Had a rubbed through kill switch wire on more than one saw.

Thats the one! Thank you Snowchaser!!! Good job!

awesome..that drives me crazy, i used to have a perfect photographic memory, i have to take pictures now..

I know! It also helps to have a good camera. I took pictures, but honestly, this was my first time working on it and when I was taking it apart, I had to dig through about 1/2 inch of oily sawdust and a lot of cleaning ensued. I bought it new in 1980 to cut firewood. Since then, I've used it for construction as well as cutting roots in my old stump farm and encountered many rocks along the way. The old sprocket was wiped out! Before now, I had never even changed the spark plug, although I've been through 4 bars and many chains.
You've got a good eye for these things. Thanks for sharing your expertise.

sometimes even taking pictures does not fix the problem, but i do everything i can to find where the those extra screws nuts and bolts went LOL

Back