too much compression (sometimes)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

remoted

Reaction score
I have a Stihl 032 which I bought in the 70's. It has and still does run great--if I can start it! At times pulling the starting rope is almost impossible. I can get one revolution at each pull, but no more. Other times it pulls normally and starts fine. It always pulls and starts again after running a bit. Pulling the plug out, it cranks effortlessly. I took it to the dealer who told me to "take it home-there's nothing wrong with it." He was probably right-at the time. It does'nt do it every time. It's been a super saw and still is, when I can start it. I could sure use some help.
Thanks. Ted

huhn

:confused:
someting aint right:) did the dealer do a compression check. i have heard of a older stihl that did the same thing, turns out it was flooding the cylinder with too much fuel. have you ever put a fuel kit in it(fuel hose,impulse,and acrb kit)???? some time the sawz will run for ever tho i suspect the new fuels may have effect the carb:givebeer:

:confused:
someting aint right:) did the dealer do a compression check. i have heard of a older stihl that did the same thing, turns out it was flooding the cylinder with too much fuel. have you ever put a fuel kit in it(fuel hose,impulse,and acrb kit)???? some time the sawz will run for ever tho i suspect the new fuels may have effect the carb:givebeer:

I suspect your right, and one way or another this saw has hydralic lock...

I have had the same problem with a 70's 031 I'm working on. Take the starter cover off and lube the pulley and make sure it pulls smoothly cause this was causing a ton of friction on mine that disguised as high compression.

Matt

I have a Stihl 032 I can get one revolution at each pull, but no more.

do you mean you cannot EVER get the rope out farther?

perhaps too short a rope?

does the pullrope come out the same length without the plug?

My 031 was doing this. I tore the pull starter off and the rope pulley had a small crack in it. Some times it would cause the pulley to separate causing it to bind against the spring.

Somethings wrong. The starter assembly will not last long under the pressure you describe. Pull the spark plug out and see how hard it is to turn over.

Sometimes when an undersized (diameter) starter rope is installed the rope can double up and wedge tightly in the pulley groove. When this happens the pulley itself can become cracked or broken.

Points Ignition?

Just my $0.02 cents worth....

Check the rope/recoil, repair and lube it as needed.

If your having a problem at different types of starting (cold - warm - hot ) , you may have a problem with the points wore a wider gap.

The closer the points gap (worn rubbing block), the easier it is to start, as the spark is delayed.
Close points gaps do not have a lot of zippady-do-da.

The wider the points gap (burnt/wore open contacts) the harder it is to start, but run like a sculleded ape!

The art of points ignition-ed saws is to get that gap to a point you could barely get it started, yanking your arm off every now and again would be a lot larger wood-pile.

Thanks Guys.

:clap:Thanks to all who offered suggestions to my problem. Some I can answer now. The others I will check out and see if I can get this saw figured out.

As far as I know the dealer didn't do a thing but try to start it. He must have tried it when it decided to be nice. I've never added a fuel kit or anything else except a new plug, bar and chain. The starter is original and pulls all the way out with no resistance when the plug is out. I guess I could pull it farther than one compression stroke when it's being stubborn, but it would take a ton of pulling. The points gap suggestion sounds like a good idea. It does seem worse when it's cold out. The saw always restarts fine after once started and warmed up. I'll be sure to check that out and see what I can find.
Again, thanks to all who responded. I never expected such a response.
Ted :)

I have an 041 that does the same thing.
The carb is "pukeing" the cylinder full of gas as mentioned earlier.

The simple soloution is, whenever it does that, pull the plug and pull the starter rope over briskly a few times to evacuate the cylinder, (make sure your face isn't in line above the spark plug hole, and no, don't ask how I know to be careful about that) reinstall the plug and as Jackie Gleason used to say......"and AWAY WE GO!!!".

The PROPER fix is to clean and rebuild the carb.
The 032 is a GREAT saw.

Mike

If it was flooding that bad it would take a long time to get started. Try putting on a new started rope, proper size and as long as you can get in there. The more winds the more mechanical advantage you have. Steve

If you are sure that the carb isn't flooding, then I would suggest pulling
the cylinder and de-carboning the cumbustion chamber.

That should take care of it..................................

More advice

Thanks for the added suggestions which I will look into as soon as I can. As for the "springs in my elbow", well yes, I suppose those springs are sprung a bit,:agree2: but even in my younger days I wouldn't have been able to pull this one too much harder :).
Again - thanks. Ted

Back