Too much compression

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Leeha had some made up by Wiseco years back.

You could PM him and check if'n he's got any left?

Think he's North of 20 now?

My favorite is the eight cylinder vid he did 5+ years back.

If you closed your eyes and listened you would swear it was a nitro burning HEMI!

Think he's North of 20 now?

My favorite is the eight cylinder vid he did 5+ years back.

If you closed your eyes and listened you would swear it was a nitro burning HEMI!
he needs to do a vid of at least 8 and have all cutting at the same time. sounds like at good reason for a mini gtg .

Can't find the video of 8 sitting there 'counting 'em off'.

Next time Uncle Lee stops by I will ask if it is still in circulation?

However, there is a vid from his GTG last Summer where they have 32 (yes thirty two 166s/118 Super pros) running, all at the same time.

Yanking 32 of them bad boyz over in succession would pretty much make you forget about having one stubborn lil' devil eh?

Can't find the video of 8 sitting there 'counting 'em off'.

Next time Uncle Lee stops by I will ask if it is still in circulation?

However, there is a vid from his GTG last Summer where they have 32 (yes thirty two 166s/118 Super pros) running, all at the same time.

Yanking 32 of them bad boyz over in succession would pretty much make you forget about having one stubborn lil' devil eh?
You just hate me!!!!!!

I'm gonna go cry myself to sleep......
Have a good one Mo.
I'm driving for an hour

Last edited:
An SP118 is a Sachs Dolmar 166 in McCulloch yealla. (118cc)

Have a safe drive, Im gonna get a few winks and tackle some drifts with me old Bolens and 'sno-caster'.

The wind has been howling 'bout 30 MPH with gusts up to 46, plus we should have 3-4" more by early AM.

I git a bunch o' deals on old SDs, not so with Stihls, people think them things are gold.

Just like in my youth, everybody had to have a GM or Ford, mopars were looked down upon, did you ever see some of the prices them things command?

Sachs Dolmars were built like a brick chithouse, I for one am glad they have never had the "prestige' of the others (although they built as good of saw as anyone)

Nope, don't have any of the real big ones, (166/CT) nor anything under 50cc, Stihl boyz around here (and there are 15 Stihls to everything else) are always amazed what my old SDs will do, I like being different!

I have two Dolmars, thanks indirectly to Home Depot. One is a 6421 with a taiwanese big bore kit and a gutted cat muffler. When I bought it the owner had just installed the 83cc kit from Bailey's, but it had low compression. The tech at Baileys asked if it had been broken in with synthetic oil. If so, he said sometimes they just glaze the cylinder and never really seat. I did not know what oil it had consumed so I bought a new caber ring and it gained 30 pounds of compression very quickly. The other is a 6420, all stock. Both start easily and run flawlessly in my opinion. But the just rebuilt 83cc is no match for my old Husqv 288 and the 64cc feels no stronger than my almost 30-year old 266. Really? I expected more.

But my only real complaint is that they feel harsh. Maybe the AV on my old saws has me spoiled but I am happy to put the Makita's down when they run out of fuel. I have not really looked for an answer. Maybe it is the chains? I really like having these newer saws so any comment to make them better are very welcome.

Don

You are a bunch of thread hijackers. :) Talk about whatever I am good with it. I just enjoy reading what you guys have to say.

I finally checked the cord to see how it filled the spool and I could maybe add one more turn of cord. Probably not worth doing.

It finally warmed up to about 50 degrees today and I got the saw out to see if I could start it. I used one of the suggested techniques of gently pulling the saw until it was at the top of compression stroke and then ripping the cord. This technique along with the warmer weather seemed to make starting the saw more do able. I got the saw cranked with about 5 pulls and the saw was spinning over well when pulled.

Thanks for all the help. I now think that I maybe be able to crank this saw with very little trouble.

Latest posts

Back