Tool Forum

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can get them from a place called "Axminster" in the UK - about 3 years ago they weren't expensive. I bought mine on a whim thinking "that would be useful". When I look at the price now....it is £204....:cry:

Tool forum suggestion

Might I make a suggestion?

How about each message that refers to a tool having a TITLE such as I used above. This might/should make searching for a specific tool reference faster.

Just a suggestion.

Love the idea of a TOOL forum.

7oaks a reply for you

Might I make a suggestion?

How about each message that refers to a tool having a TITLE such as I used above. This might/should make searching for a specific tool reference faster.

Just a suggestion.

Love the idea of a TOOL forum.

7oaks I think that's a heck of a great idea.It would make searching much easier.Whenever I make a post on AS I try to put a title in, I think it highlights the post.I just knew this would takeoff with good post's from AS members.
Thanks 7oaks
Lawrence

Punch set Rxe

Rxe,You know I think that punch set is available here in Canada at Lee Valley Tools.I'm going to check it out and see.I will post a link and if you don't mind you can tell me if it's the same.I'm sure Jerry would like to know.
Lawrence
http://www.leevalley.com/home/OnlineCatalog.aspx?id=6b5f82a8

when you get to the catolog type in punch set in the search box

Having looked at it more closely i do not think it is the same but maybe it is from the same company.i will try and find out

Hole, gasket punch set

Great listing fella's.
I had to make my own case gasket with a couple of punches I have, but seeing what is listed here is interesting.
The rotating punch pliers would be a great compliment to the Boehm set of even that cheaper set on Ebay would do.

It looks very similar - I think it is the same as this one:

http://www.axminster.co.uk/recno/2/product-BOEHM-Deluxe-Punch-Kit-22430.htm

I don't think it does the double punch washer making trick that the big set does.
That ebay one looks good for gasket making....

When I ran a search this morning after seeing the BOEHM set I found this same site, axminister .co.uk, the BOEHM set is stackable but I am not sure the one Mitch posted can be stacked, the stacking feature is what I am most interested in, I have a single cutter set already. Thanks for posting the set.
Pioneerguy600

Great listing fella's.
I had to make my own case gasket with a couple of punches I have, but seeing what is listed here is interesting.
The rotating punch pliers would be a great compliment to the Boehm set of even that cheaper set on Ebay would do.

Al, as you know when working on 40-60 year old saws we need to make a lot of our own gaskets, NOS are in short supply for them, even cork gaskets for under the gas and oil caps, ring gaskets for under sediment glass bowls etc, the stacking punch set would make those gaskets with ease if the sizes are correct, I had turned out a punch set to fit the gaskets on the Pioneer 600 series saws as I have rebuilt quite a few of them and make all my own gaskets from Spanish cork sheets. The only other gasket needed on the 600 is on the oil tank/pump cover and carb. Many of the newer saws need case gaskets and I make any and all gaskets as I need them, the rotating head punch set is great for the smaller holes like for case screws and I have a good one for doing that, they are often called leather punches but work fine on gasket making.
Pioneerguy600

he stacking feature is what I am most interested in

If you need any making, give me the dimensions and material and I'll see what I can do! Could put them in an envelope, so shipping isn't a problem.

Orange Sticks

When I worked in the film industry we used ORANGE STICKS for cleaning camera film gates etc. I still have some onhand and use them to clean delicate parts that I don't want to scratch, damage, short out or mar. They also work to apply a small amount of paint, lubricant or cleaner in recessed locations. Here's a pic of the ones I use but in an internet search I found some but most are used today by manicurists. A link follows as well.

attachment.php

attachment.php

http://www.harmonycr.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=80002A0B-1243655281

If you need any making, give me the dimensions and material and I'll see what I can do! Could put them in an envelope, so shipping isn't a problem.

Thanks for the offer RXE, I did turn a set of punches out that work as single units, punch one hole then try to line up the second one to keep the diameter close to the same all around so that the gasket turns out satisfactorialy. If I cannot locate a set over here I will run with the idea of making a backer disc with a stepped shoulder, then machine the top end of my current cutters to fit the disc. This would allow the cutters to stay aligned and punch both the inside and outside of a round gasket simintainously. Lawrence mentiones Lee Valley so I will chase that info down and see what I can come up with.
Pioneerguy600

Al, as you know when working on 40-60 year old saws we need to make a lot of our own gaskets, NOS are in short supply for them, even cork gaskets for under the gas and oil caps, ring gaskets for under sediment glass bowls etc, the stacking punch set would make those gaskets with ease if the sizes are correct, I had turned out a punch set to fit the gaskets on the Pioneer 600 series saws as I have rebuilt quite a few of them and make all my own gaskets from Spanish cork sheets. The only other gasket needed on the 600 is on the oil tank/pump cover and carb. Many of the newer saws need case gaskets and I make any and all gaskets as I need them, the rotating head punch set is great for the smaller holes like for case screws and I have a good one for doing that, they are often called leather punches but work fine on gasket making.
Pioneerguy600

Yeah mate, leather punch. Must get one of these for starters.
My gasket making tools consist of a few hole punches and a pair of scissors that came with my $10 hair clippers.
I think I need to expand on my kit just a tad, lol.

Orange Sticks-7oaks

those look great for getting in those hard to reach areas! I save Chinese chopsticks from meals as i do not know how to use them anyway.Also save shishkabob sticks,Popsicle sticks anything like that
Lawrence

BOEHM hollow Punches

You fellas were talking about the hollow punch set by BOEHM,well I have put in an email to Lee Valley to see if there's is the made by BOEHM.I did find out that some of BOEHM punch sets get re badged on of the names is Mayhew,there are a few other names as well.Apparently they are all made by BOEHM,but be careful as there are the Chinese knock off's as well.Will update you on the Lee Valley set when I hear back from them.
Lawrence

Lee Valley Is Good Stuff

and you pay for it... I doubt they have any chinese knock off stuff.

if they do, you can bet your bottom dollar they've tested the heck out of it.

But some of their stuff is a work of art.

I've got a plane blade sharpening system that puts a mirror finish on it. literally, you can hold it to your eye at an angle, and the reflected image is perfect.

OH... be careful though, if you look at the edge you just put on, you'll cut your eye!

If they ever made/sold a chainsaw sharpening system, you can bet it would work very well!

(Lee Valley Is Good Stuff) and you pay for it...

Actually Leonard Lee is a pretty savvy businessman. If he finds a good tool set that others are not selling, he might add it to his catalog or make up/import his own version. So asking about this gasket set might make it more available.

Philbert

Latest posts

Back