Tool Forum

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fasteners

Thought some of you fellas that build your own tools would like to see these sites ,the first one offers different types of fasteners that stay put when needed.
Lawrence

http://www.stage8.com/

This next one is a website that offers downloadable charts for screws and nut's and bolts, quite handy.

http://www.boltdepot.com/

Here's one more for you to look at

http://www.nutsandbolts.com/

Plug hole to grease nipple adapter for stuck pistons

I was tearing apart a project Mac Super 250 today which was seized. Not wanting to bash the piston to get it out, I made this adapter so I could pump the cylinder full of grease to push it out.

attachment.php

It's just a standard tapered pipe thread which fits a tiny bit on the loose side, but is the same thread pitch so it doesn't bugger the plug threads. A couple wraps of pipe tape though and it fit up plenty tight enough for this to work. This is the first time I've tried this and it worked like a charm. I should note the piston wasn't friction seized, just a bit of water corrosion around the rings, so I don't know how well it would work on a badly scored topend. You can get well over 2000 PSI with a good grease gun though, so I'd imagine it would eventually push most pistons out. Of course it'll only push it until it clears the top of the exhaust port, so further tools may be necessary for badly stuck ones, but in my case that was plenty enough to get it free.

This one's going to be staying in my saw toolbox for good. I'm going to make one for the old saw guy I know too. I know he's killed a couple usable pistons recently trying to force them out of a cylinder the old-fashioned way.

Last edited:
I was tearing apart a project Mac Super 250 today which was seized. Not wanting to bash the piston to get it out, I made this adapter so I could pump the cylinder full of grease to push it out.

attachment.php

It's just a standard tapered pipe thread which fits a tiny bit on the loose side, but is the same thread pitch so it doesn't bugger the plug threads. A couple wraps of pipe tape though and it fit up plenty tight enough for this to work. This is the first time I've tried this and it worked like a charm. I should note the piston wasn't friction seized, just a bit of water corrosion around the rings, so I don't know how well it would work on a badly scored topend. You can get well over 2000 PSI with a good grease gun though, so I'd imagine it would eventually push most pistons out. Of course it'll only push it until it clears the top of the exhaust port, so further tools may be necessary for badly stuck ones, but in my case that was plenty enough to get it free.

This one's going to be staying in my saw toolbox for good. I'm going to make one for the old saw guy I know too. I know he's killed a couple usable pistons recently trying to force them out of a cylinder the old-fashioned way.

thats a great idea.

What mix ratio?

Molasses works brilliant for removing rust.
Take a very rusty piece out of your molasses solution after a week and you have nothing but shiny metal.
It is common here for car restorers to use it.

do you run this mix at 50/1 or 40/1?

for really old saws, 32/1?

just grins... seriously, what mix do you use? I've got some projects that I'd like to try.

oh... and for old wrenches and bigger solid stuff, I was told to try dry "Jackpine Sand" in a cement mixer. A slow sand abrasion. some of the old guys swear by it.

do you run this mix at 50/1 or 40/1?

for really old saws, 32/1?

just grins... seriously, what mix do you use? I've got some projects that I'd like to try.

oh... and for old wrenches and bigger solid stuff, I was told to try dry "Jackpine Sand" in a cement mixer. A slow sand abrasion. some of the old guys swear by it.

I want to try this out too.

I hope this does not sound stupid, but I honestly don't know

What kind of molasses is used; do you use first molasses second molasses or black strap? Can something cheaper like corn syrup be substituted? What is the science behind this?

Thanks

Brad way to go! Another clever idea from you.
Lawrence

Thanks, but I can't take credit for the idea. I remember seeing someone else here try it a few months ago. Can't remember who or what saw it was at the moment though.

As for the molasses, I just bought a pint of blackstrap to try with all those old taps and dies. Not sure what kind of mixture I'll use, I guess I'll just keep dissolving it into water until I think it "looks" right. Time will tell!

Thanks, but I can't take credit for the idea. I remember seeing someone else here try it a few months ago. Can't remember who or what saw it was at the moment though.

As for the molasses, I just bought a pint of blackstrap to try with all those old taps and dies. Not sure what kind of mixture I'll use, I guess I'll just keep dissolving it into water until I think it "looks" right. Time will tell!

Brad, that's all I did with the molasses.
The internet will give different ratio's.

http://www.moreg.org.au/dissolving_rust.htm

http://virtualindian.org/projrust.htm

Just a couple.

Do a search "molasses rust"

The internet will give different ratio's.
http://www.moreg.org.au/dissolving_rust.htm
"Apparently the water and molasses mixture when left exposed to air, ferments and produces, amongst other things, Acetic Acid."

Wouldn't it be easier and faster to soak the item in vinegar (acetic acid)?
This is one of my neighbor's method.

Philbert

Last edited:
Vinegar

"Apparently the water and molasses mixture when left exposed to air, ferments and produces, amongst other things, Acetic Acid."

Wouldn't it be easier and faster to soak the item in vinegar (acetic acid)?
This is one of my neighbor's method.

Philbert

Yea,that would seem easier,but maybe it's the combination of the acid and something else in the molasses.Guess I should check out the links, DUH!
Lawrence

A 1 lb ball peen hammer works to cut larger gaskets. I've cut hundreds of gaskets with one.

Instead of using a zerk fitting on the greese gun, to remove the piston, tap a hole the size of the flex hose end in the spark plug hole adapter. A screwed in pipe thread will hold more pressure than a zerk fitting. I've also added penatrating oil to the hose and then used the grease to loosen things up.

Piston freeing trick

A 1 lb ball peen hammer works to cut larger gaskets. I've cut hundreds of gaskets with one.

Instead of using a zerk fitting on the greese gun, to remove the piston, tap a hole the size of the flex hose end in the spark plug hole adapter. A screwed in pipe thread will hold more pressure than a zerk fitting. I've also added penatrating oil to the hose and then used the grease to loosen things up.

Frank,would you have a picture of that combination of zerk fitting and threaded pipe.for some reason i can't seem to graspit
Thanks
Lawrence

Latest posts

Back