Tool Forum

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
7Oaks and title Idea

7 Oaks ,Sorry for not giving you the credit you deserved earlier on the Tilt suggestion.I agree 100 o/o that it would really help when we put a title to our posts on the Tool Forum Thread it will make searching a lot easier
Thanks for the idea!

Tell your AS buddies!

Fellas,Please tell your buddies that you talk to the most on here, about this thread, and where to find it.In my opinion it is going just great with all you fellas pitching in like you have.I look forward to all the potential this thread has.
Many Thanks
Lawrence

Putting tool name in Title

7 Oaks ,Sorry for not giving you the credit you deserved earlier on the Tilt suggestion.I agree 100 o/o that it would really help when we put a title to our posts on the Tool Forum Thread it will make searching a lot easier
Thanks for the idea!

Thanks to you for starting the thread. I think it's a keeper.

My offset timber-squaring axe

Just thought I'd link the pics I posted over in the milling forum to this thread as well. I found this axe head in a scrap steel bin a while ago. $10 and a new handle later, I have a new favorite little axe to help me knock high points and knots off of logs I'm getting ready to mill. It works way better than any conventional axe I've ever tried, and looks pretty badass too. It would make a good "chicken axe" if you know what I mean! I can't bring myself to do that sort of thing though.

attachment.php

attachment.php

The head has "GALT" stamped into it, so I'm pretty sure it came out of one of the steel mills in the Hamilton, Ontario area. Looks probably a hundred years old or so. It wasn't bashed up too badly from hammering on things either; it was mushroomed just a bit at the back and on the top from someone trying to pound wedges in to tighten the handle up or something. I ground them down with the die grinder and took a brushwheel to the heavier rust, gave it a nice sharp edge, and it was functionally good as new. I don't mind a bit of light rust on an axehead - it makes it look its age.

Last edited:
Axe

I am sure this is a case of the :newbie:s but is it supposed to be bent?

Here's how the bigger ones are used:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ueIB0h4SzHc&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ueIB0h4SzHc&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Hey, it's his toes on the line, not mine. :dizzy:

Mine is more like this one, not quite as big though:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oTcDoPhBJEM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oTcDoPhBJEM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

That guy's spent a LOT of time doing that to get that good with a small axe.

Last edited:
No kidding, I think a chainsaw is safer after watching that and I have cut myself 3 times :chainsaw:

The Zyliss Vise

I've just recently started using this vise to hold my saws as I hand sharpen the chains. I inherited the vise from my best friend when he passed a couple years ago. I assume he picked it up at a yard sale some where as that's what he liked to do.

It is a very versatile piece of equipment meant for wood workers primarily I guess but it servers a better purpose for me in that I can sharpen the chain on one side then just go to the other side and go at it. Works great but I doubt that any of you will find another like it> LOL

attachment.php

attachment.php

Swiss made - like a watch - by the way. LOL

attachment.php

I've just recently started using this vise to hold my saws as I hand sharpen the chains. . . Works great but I doubt that any of you will find another like it

The Zyliss Vise is sold at woodworking shows, state fairs, etc. Could only find Zyliss kitchen gadgets via Google, but there were several vices on eBay.

Philbert

Last edited:
7Oaks and Philbert

7Oaks,you are not going to believe this.I have the same vise only it has green plastic instead of red,I got mine from a friend who passed away last year,he was a cabinet maker and bought it at a wood show years back.He said that he had not seen them at woodworking shows for quite awhile now.I am missing one part for it, the remote piece that enables you to pretty much put any length of wood between the jaws.They are a very handy tool.i did post this vise issue up on AS awhile back think or it could have been another site.Any chance you could take a picture of that remote piece and post it?
Many Thanks
Lawrence

Here's how the bigger ones are used:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ueIB0h4SzHc&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ueIB0h4SzHc&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Hey, it's his toes on the line, not mine. :dizzy:

Mine is more like this one, not quite as big though:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oTcDoPhBJEM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oTcDoPhBJEM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

That guy's spent a LOT of time doing that to get that good with a small axe.

One summer I worked with a huer that did that work all his life, he was 65 that year and in very fit shape for a man his age. We squared all the timbers for a two storey barn that spanned 40' wideX100' long. All mortise and tenon joint with wood peg through offset hole pins.
Pioneerguy600

Zyliss Vise

7Oaks,you are not going to believe this.I have the same vise only it has green plastic instead of red,I got mine from a friend who passed away last year,he was a cabinet maker and bought it at a wood show years back.He said that he had not seen them at woodworking shows for quite awhile now.I am missing one part for it, the remote piece that enables you to pretty much put any length of wood between the jaws.They are a very handy tool.i did post this vise issue up on AS awhile back think or it could have been another site.Any chance you could take a picture of that remote piece and post it?
Many Thanks
Lawrence

WOW what a coincidence! I'll go out and photograph the other parts this morning and then post them later. It really is a well made unit - guess I haven't seen one before I inherited this one because I don't hang out at WoodCraft shows. I will be in the future as I get time to do some woodworking with the wood I mill from the trees I cut with my chainsaws. LOL

When a Chainsaw Won't Fit

When trimming hedges (lilacs, etc.) or selectively clearing out deadwood, there are places that a chainsaw bar will not fit without damaging other wood that is nearby. But some of these branches or trunks are too thick for a manual pruning loper. This usually means work with a manual pruning saw.

I found these pruning blades to fit a reciprocating saw ('Sawzall'). The narrow profile (3/4" high, 8" long) fits into places even easier than my manual pruning saw. Set in place, pull the trigger. I have seen similar blades sold by Sears, Black and Decker, etc.

Philbert

attachment.php

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back