Top Handle Electric Saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benjo75

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
My Dad recently purchased the Stihl MS 160 C BQ electric saw. I was hesitant even think about running it. Then I did. I actually liked it. Quiet and smooth cutting. I don't think it would do very well if it gets the least but dull though. It was nice not having to crank it. I'm just waiting to see how the battery life plays out and the durability of the saw in general. Right now it seems to be a nice little saw if you don't ask more of it than it's designed to do.

A few years back there was talk of an electric top handle. I was wondering if that ever came to be or not. If they come up with one that's light and reliable I would be interested it one for a climbing saw on the smaller jobs.

A friend of mine has a Husqy electric top handle saw, and he loves it. It's quiet, and I think it's lighter weight than a conventional saw. He has two batteries, and uses one while the other is charging. Says he never runs out of power. I don't know the model # or anything about it--only that he says it's the bomb.

Thanks for the replies. I've just been on Youtube and noticed that in some of his vids, Reg Coates uses an electric top handle some. Looks like a Husky. I would definitely be interested in one.

yes the current generation of battery saws is getting better and wider in model choice. As you i was suspicious of the trend but after using a few saws i found advantages & no downsides .

I used the Husky top handle and Stihl rear handle and both brands of pole saws have heaps of toque & power same if not lighter weight no motor maintenance needs eg fuel air filter spark clutch starter cord exhaust etc and so low is noise more often no need for ear muffs so operator and ground crew have better comms safety and noise fume fatigue is gone.. looking forward to the next generation.

I have been watching the Husky prices...if I could have the saw and an extra battery for under $550-$600, I'd pull the trigger. They are a bit too rich for me to try right now.

I also been looking at them now they have a back pack battery wondering about heat though! I think 2 batteries might be a better solution sure would cut down screaming to get someones attention lol.

I have a T536lixp that I climb with. I also have a couple of 338Xp's. The battery powered one is every bit as powerful as the 338s but lighter. Another thing that is nice about them is you don't carry a hand saw anymore. There's just no need usually as it's not a pain to start your climbing saw when it's electric. If I feel the need for something more than the 536, I step up to a 550XP. That said, husqvarna needs to work on their batteries. I've had three of them die. They currently have my saw, charger, and batteries trying to make sure it's not something wrong with the saw or charger. Apparently I'm not the norm as far as killing batteries which is why they wanted to check all of it out. That saw is awesome enough, I'd buy it again even with the issues I've had.

Batteries could not handle being dropped or banged around all the time.. dropping a battery from two to three feet it's not a good idea

You're right about dropping batteries. But I don't see a problem there unless it came out of the saw somehow. I've only climbed 25 years but never dropped a saw so I'm not too worried about that. I have wanted to throw one a few times mainly for being a pain to start. The quietness would be nice. And no fumes in those hot tops. The weight would be nice. But I think the best thing would be not having to pull the rope so much. It's not bad to do but would be nice not to have to.

Batteries could not handle being dropped or banged around all the time.

You're right about dropping batteries. But I don't see a problem there unless it came out of the saw somehow.

I started a thread asking what people would want from pro-grade, battery saws - got no input. This is great input - batteries for in-tree saws need a more positive battery engagement / retention features.
http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/pro-grade-cordless-chainsaws.308926/

Philbert

Yeah a battery falling from 60 ft could kill someone. After using the Stihl rear handle, It seems unlikely that battery would come out on its own. But climbers do get in some awkward positions. I guess if someone was worried about it a ziptie would help. I think it would be a good saw if you don't ask more of it than it's designed to do. Use it in the tops then call for something bigger when blocking down. One downside I have seen on the rear handle is the safety button. It works good right handed. But I use a saw left handed just nearly as often depending on what position I'm in. It's still easier than pulling on a rope though. It would be nice for these summertime jobs when you could start early but the neighbors don't like the noise.

Yeah, that's what I've been doing lately. Climbing dead beetle kill ponderosa pines. Climb, limb and take a top and then swap to the 550- I'm also left handed button location on t536 not an issue

HUSQVARNA T536LIXP with 12" bar
  • Total Weight with bar & chain & 2.1AH battery: 9.00 LBS
  • Total Weight with bar & chain & 4.2AH battery: 10.10 LBS
My Stihl MS150 weighs about 6.5 pounds with 12" bar, chain, fuel & oil, and my MS201TC-M weighs about 9 pounds with 16" bar, chain & oil.
The Husky sounds like a nice saw, and the convenience/quiet factors do have some merit, but that weight difference is enough to keep me yanking the starter cord.

Stihl says the 201tc powerhead is 8.16lbs. I find it hard to believe bar, chain, gas, and oil all weigh in less than a lb. Those 16" bars are right at the pound mark themselves.

Back