Toppers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd say that fascist land developers are the worst of all. Here's a scenario that plays out in both our countries;

And it plays out here too. How frightening is this? This is going on all over and no one seems to be able to see the long range picture.

Sylvia

Jlarnard, unfortunately you most likely aren't exagerating thats the sad part I know in my area (PA) the elderly have a thing with "needing their trees topped" I could tell the old timer every reason not to top the tree till I was blue in my face and it won't make a difference. Also the problem in my area is that we have a large number of people who think they know how to use a chain saw so they figure they should make a dollar doing it so they will top trees until the day they die because they just don't have a clue, the worst part is that while they do the topping they usually are wearing spurs. :jawdrop:

i once saw a ( and i use this term very loosely ) "tree crew " topping a tree useing machettes and for the smaller higher branches they sent up a kid of about 12,, they didnt even have ladders let alone ropes and harness :jawdrop: :jawdrop:

Topping

I'm somewhat of a novice but from what i've seen tree's that have been topped comeback twice as strong. I see alot of corn cobbed redwood spars( topped and limbed that just wont die. of course it really depends on the tree. I think most of it depends on followup because sometime a rat's nest form at the top from rapid growth from the cut. If you thin these out after they grow back in you can get some really cool looking bonzai's. A tree that has been topped is going to be sturdier than a super tall spindley tree. any alternative to just cutting the tree down is good.

Topping is very prevailent in my area. As others have said usually at the request of elderly HO.you cant convince them otherwise.And lets face it ;we all have to eat.
It does sicken me to see it done to old oaks,but more times than not it is one of the many many exotic,and sometimes invasive species that we have in abbundance here.These things grow so rapidly here ,i say no big loss.
Yes i know it weakens the tree ,but most do well except the new growth,but again,most of those get topped again before they are real hazards.

Like i said ,I don't really like the way they look when topped,...but it does belong to the HO,and the decision is theirs.

i once saw a ( and i use this term very loosely ) "tree crew " topping a tree useing machettes and for the smaller higher branches they sent up a kid of about 12,, they didnt even have ladders let alone ropes and harness :jawdrop: :jawdrop:

Dude, that happens all the time here...or a chainsaw in one hand, standing in the fork of the tree...cut where you can...

Drives me MAD!!

Topping and Integrity

I've been asked to do it, and I've always refused, and done my best to educate. But I've never been close to starving, or even particularly close to missing a mortgage payment. Sure I could have used the money, but I take a gamble that people will prefer to hire someone who will not compromise his integrity for a buck, and that they may even tell their associates about that honest tree guy.

But again, I've never been truly desperate for cash, and I've never had children (not counting my dogs) in danger of an empty cupboard. My integrity is not priceless - I'm sure. So I can fully appreciate how some of you guys may have been looking starvation in the face, and bit the bullet so your kids could have a plate of beans and some shoes.

The comments about "communism" regarding the enforcement of standards are not only way out of line, but show a grotesque ignorance of political systems. I am a licensed civil and structural engineer. We have a fully enforceable code of ethics that fills a book. On top of that, we have volumes upon volumes (upon volumes) of design codes. The process for becoming licensed is long and arduous, taking a minimum of 8 years, but usually closer to 10 or 12, and is completed by a grueling 8 hour test. You may call that "communist," but society calls that "professional." It is how we get to use a pretty rubber stamp that says "Professional Engineer" on it, and when that stamp gets put on paper, it is really, really serious.

You don't have a stamp for tree work, all you have is your reputation. I recognize that I am speaking from a position of privilege, and that some of you may be a day away from begging on the streets, but if you are not, topping trees is an unjustifiable disservice to your own integrity, and to the reputation of your chosen PROFESSION.

I've been asked to do it, and I've always refused, and done my best to educate. But I've never been close to starving, or even particularly close to missing a mortgage payment. Sure I could have used the money, but I take a gamble that people will prefer to hire someone who will not compromise his integrity for a buck, and that they may even tell their associates about that honest tree guy.

But again, I've never been truly desperate for cash, and I've never had children (not counting my dogs) in danger of an empty cupboard. My integrity is not priceless - I'm sure. So I can fully appreciate how some of you guys may have been looking starvation in the face, and bit the bullet so your kids could have a plate of beans and some shoes.

The comments about "communism" regarding the enforcement of standards are not only way out of line, but show a grotesque ignorance of political systems. I am a licensed civil and structural engineer. We have a fully enforceable code of ethics that fills a book. On top of that, we have volumes upon volumes (upon volumes) of design codes. The process for becoming licensed is long and arduous, taking a minimum of 8 years, but usually closer to 10 or 12, and is completed by a grueling 8 hour test. You may call that "communist," but society calls that "professional." It is how we get to use a pretty rubber stamp that says "Professional Engineer" on it, and when that stamp gets put on paper, it is really, really serious.

You don't have a stamp for tree work, all you have is your reputation. I recognize that I am speaking from a position of privilege, and that some of you may be a day away from begging on the streets, but if you are not, topping trees is an unjustifiable disservice to your own integrity, and to the reputation of your chosen PROFESSION.

I have cursed a many engineer in my day, they can screw up a good horse.
I can't believe the lengths they go to make lives miserable for folks jmo.

so you got a rubber stamp that says you are a pro........I can get one of those from vistaprint.com for free.........lol

I have cursed a many engineer in my day, they can screw up a good horse.
I can't believe the lengths they go to make lives miserable for folks jmo.

I've never been accused of screwing up a good horse, as a matter of fact, I wouldn't even know how to go about that. Some engineers are not so interested in getting the job completed smoothly as they are in their sense of authority - they make things harder on those of us who really sympathize with contractors. Is there a parallel here?

I think topped trees are ugly. I was pleased when I learned it was a bad practice. Has anybody tried showing the home owner a picture of a tree you did right?

Unfortunately, I doubt if I will live long enough to see topping die out.

Topping is one thing when you know its not right but you gotta get the job to make ends meet. lets face it you gotta do what you gotta do and ill praise any person for that. I'd sooner see a tree hacked up before someones family goes hungry but the problem is when people just aren't informed and do it because they somehow think its an acceptable practice. All I know is that most tree guys ecspecially the misinformed ones in my area are all running brand new rigs and the best of everything thats when I hit the roof.

I've never been accused of screwing up a good horse, as a matter of fact, I wouldn't even know how to go about that. Some engineers are not so interested in getting the job completed smoothly as they are in their sense of authority - they make things harder on those of us who really sympathize with contractors. Is there a parallel here?

Take a long look at flippy caps! If that is not a good enough example
take a peak under the hoods of the nowaday auto. They make them
as hard to work on as they possibly can. They will go to g-rate lengths
to engineer it to last just to the warranty period and then make it too
hard to work on. I am keeping my sixty model and two seventy model
trucks just for that reason.

Take a long look at flippy caps! If that is not a good enough example
take a peak under the hoods of the nowaday auto. They make them
as hard to work on as they possibly can. They will go to g-rate lengths
to engineer it to last just to the warranty period and then make it too
hard to work on. I am keeping my sixty model and two seventy model
trucks just for that reason.

"flippy caps" where definitely made by an engineer sitting at a desk saying to himself "Wow I am a genius what a great idea, I wonder why these retards that run these thing never thought of this"

Latest posts

Back