Toro STX 38 any one run one ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smoker62

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Currently grinding with a Carlton 4012 and an Alpine Rhino six tooth wheel. Nephew runs a Toro STX 38 and really likes it . Hes in Florida and Im in Wi. so cant compare in a real side by side test. Just wondering if anyone has run a Toro 38 and how it would compare to the 4012. It sure is easy to swap the wheel on the toro , no pillow block belts etc. Also hyd. driven so no belts to maintain , replace , align etc.

Currently grinding with a Carlton 4012 and an Alpine Rhino six tooth wheel. Nephew runs a Toro STX 38 and really likes it . Hes in Florida and Im in Wi. so cant compare in a real side by side test. Just wondering if anyone has run a Toro 38 and how it would compare to the 4012. It sure is easy to swap the wheel on the toro , no pillow block belts etc. Also hyd. driven so no belts to maintain , replace , align etc.

I had a demo with one about a month ago. Was thoroughly disappointed. Was largely underpowered, easy to stall. Hydraulics got extremely warm. When running for over an hr or so had to put a glove on due to the joystick getting so hot. (Due to not enough cooling capacity on the hydraulics). Easy to run. No turf damage. But still would never buy one for the 24k I was quoted.

I tried out the smaller Toro - terrible!! It is a great idea but there is reason Rayco tells you not to buy theirs if you plan on contracting stumps. These machines are for the homeowner rental market.

Well , I demoed a 2017 Toro Stx 38 today and was impressed. Based on the proven Dingo platform but dedicated as a stumper , ie , not a dingo with an attachment , and it was impressive. Would take some getting used to compareds to my Carlton but , power was as good or better than my carlton. Smoother sweep , deeper cut , wider swing , etc. I really was impressed with it. Dont know if id buy it yet but its not a homeowner grinder in my opinion.

I have rented this machine several times. It is absolutely not a homeowners model. It is a sub 40 Hp stumper, so no it won't chew stumps like a 60-70 Hp diesel machine. But it is very nimble, simple to maintain, and will plow thru sub 24" stumps. Larger takes some time of course... But can still do a 50" oak stump in 45 minutes or so. For me, it's a great machine I plan on buying in 2018

Back