Touching an Oak Wilt Tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillyB

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
My neighbor has a couple of oaks that died of oak wilt a year or more ago. He has taken them down except for the lower trunk and stump. His chainsaw crapped out and he has no solution for the trunk. He's asked me to help out using my chainsaw and stump grinder. I have no problem with doing this except that I'm concerned about spreading infection to my property through contact with my tools. Can you tell me:
  • Whether or not I should be concerned about spreading infection with my tools?
  • Whether or not I should expose my tools?
  • If I do help him, whether there are precautions I should take and, if so, what they are and how much risk would still remain after taking them?
Thanks in advance for your advice!

Ten percent chlorine bleach in water will kill the fungus. Let it sit for a few minutes before washing it off and then use oil or WD40 on the tools so they don't rust up.
Unless the stumps have fungal spore mats on them, it's unlikely to be a problem. This time of year, it's unlikely the spore mats will still be there. Cool, damp, spring weather is when the mats form.

Back