Tough decision to make on choosing a saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really like the idea of a self tuning saw and I’ve read enough here about the mtronic to see it’s a pretty reliable system.

I did a MM on my 261, re-set the Mtronic, and boom, off to the races. Runs like a hot damn. I love it.

Absolutely gets most of my run time. The only time the 462 gets picked up is for big bucking, and falling tree's bigger than my 18" bar. I can do it with the smaller bar...but why bother when you have the longer bar option.

I'm kinda in the same boat. Looking to retire a couple older saws (or at least give them a break) and replace with newer ones. I'd like to know out of the ones mentioned which ones are easier to work on. Such as changing fuel lines removing and reassembling carburetor, simple maintenance. I've came across some saws that were nightmares to work on (may be the operator).
Husqvarna is usually simpler and easier to work on than Stihl, at least the few I've worked on have been.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone for your input. So it sounds like a 261 would suit my needs just fine. I’ll of course have to MM it and who knows, maybe eventually port it as well. I’m not capable of leaving things stock. I like to tinker way too much.
If you're not opposed to Husqvarna, and want to save a few dollars, there is a 545 on eBay for $457 free shipping. It's new in box and the original edition, not the heavier mark 2. They are great little 50cc saws with autotune carbs.

Ok guys,the first new saw I ever bought was a Husky 359. It was nothing but problematic. It was a little hotrod and cut well, but was just constantly constantly me grief. That was years ago so maybe i got a bad saw or maybe things have changed. However, one thing I’ve noticed in my hundreds of hours of reading, nobody is having issues with the 261. They just flat out get to work. I’m not brand loyal. Sometimes snapon makes good ****, sometimes it’s gearwrench, and some times is Tekton. Whoever makes the best bang for my buck gets my business. I’m wayyyyy past being brand loyal.

These manufacturers can kiss my ass. I’ll go with whoever is making the best product for whatever I’m intending to buy.

I had a 346xp and didn’t get what all the hype was about. I sold it and bought a 550xp and didn’t really care for that either. I’m much happier with the 261 but not saying anything else isn’t any good. I just prefer the 261 over the others. On the flipside i like the 562xp/2260 better than the 362.

I also have an Echo saw, Redmax edger, and Shindaiwa trimmer. I like what i like, i don’t care what color it is or what name is on it.

I’ve been around the block a time or two my money is worked hard for so I’m not giving it to anyone because they’ve got a good name. I tend to buy based off what’s proven, not what their name is. I work hard for my money, and anyone who wants it, they’ll work hard for it, too.

I agree with others here the 261 cm/18" bar, will work well for your trees. It has balls yet is light and nimble! I run mine with a 16" bar because I have a 562xp with a 20" bar. If buying the 261 c-m, I'd run it with an 18" bar to cover your bases better.

As others have said, Husky 555 is also a good choice if you want a bit more jam and don't mind the bit of extra weight.

I’ve been around the block a time or two my money is worked hard for so I’m not giving it to anyone because they’ve got a good name. I tend to buy based off what’s proven, not what their name is. I work hard for my money, and anyone who wants it, they’ll work hard for it, too.
I totally agree. If I were buying a 50cc saw that is being produced today it would be a 261. However I like the original 545/ 550xp better. I would not buy a mark2. I have read several problems with the 261. There were numerous carb problems with the early 550s but not autotune problems. They updated the carbs and most problems after that were operator problems like starting without the fast idle engaged. I have a 2016 545 and it runs perfect. I am not brand loyal either. I have a Ford truck and a GMC truck. I have Husqvarna, Stihl, echo and Dolmar even some Craftsman power equipment.
Go buy the 261. I'm sure you will love it.

I'll go to hell and back with my 261. I have a 16" bar but never had a problem with it. I started many years ago with a 270 but burnt that into the ground and needed a more professional saw and since then, I've always had a 260, 260PRO or a 261 in the arsenal. Actually, three of them and a new one sitting on the shelf right now.

Yeah that hot start problem is one kf the things that turned me away feom the 550. I read like a 80 something page thread here if a guy who bought both the 261 and the 550 and he had ine problem after another with tbe 550. Even got the 550 replaced with a new one and still preferred the 261. I’ve just read and read and reeeaaaddd of one happy 261 customer after another. That says a LOT. If if was choosing something other than z 50cc saw then it would be s different story. I think the 562 rules the 60cc market.

Yeah that hot start problem is one kf the things that turned me away feom the 550. I read like a 80 something page thread here if a guy who bought both the 261 and the 550 and he had ine problem after another with tbe 550. Even got the 550 replaced with a new one and still preferred the 261. I’ve just read and read and reeeaaaddd of one happy 261 customer after another. That says a LOT. If if was choosing something other than z 50cc saw then it would be s different story. I think the 562 rules the 60cc market.
Was it Willard’s thread?

Yes it does. In the 50cc market Stihl went the right way and Husqvarna went the wrong way. Stihl got slimmer and lighter and Husqvarna went heavier, no doubt the mark 2 is probably better than the original but it's just too heavy for a modern 50cc saw in my opinion.

Latest posts

Back