Tough decision to make on choosing a saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yup I read all about opening them up a little and their factory lean condition. If I go with the 590, that’ll be done immediately.
You can see by my Sig I like stihls. I ran fellow member @James Miller s590 and to say the least I was impressed. We were noodling a big red oak log and it cleared noodles better than my 036. Plenty of power if you go that route. It was a bit louder with the MM. He has since had it ported and it rips. BUT,the 261 will be my next saw to pair up with my 241 and 462.:rolleyes:

I wouldn't count out the Stihl MS362c. If it's the same items on sale there as in Canada right now, it's on sale. I picked one up for a song recently that was hardly used. I've hardly used it, but the use I did do with it, it's been a great saw. It's really easy to start.

Most of what I'm playing with is under 3" right now, so the MS200 and the MS241 get to play the most. I'm cutting out the dead stuff from inside trees while I can still see what's alive and dead.

When I get into a few of the larger trees that have to come out, the MS362 will come out to play.

If you want a 261 that bad. You won't be happy until you get one. If you buy something else you will always regret not buying it. Been there done that. I cut firewood with a 50cc Husqvarna for 15 years. It always got the job done with a good sharp Stihl chain.
Go buy that 261.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Howdy guys! So I’m needing a new saw and need some assistance. I’ve litterally spent hours and hours reading this site and others trying to learn as much as I can to pick the right saw.

My saw uses: mainly just cutting wood on my land to heat my work shop. Generally that’s one fire in the evening and several on the weekend days. I may try to do a little extra cutting this year and sell some. At any rate, I don’t cut much wood at all.

I’ll start by saying that I prefer to buy quality tools that last. With that said, I have my heart set on a 261cm. That’s the saw I want but I’m worried that I’ll regret owning a 50cc saw since I’ll only have one saw. So that has me considering the Echo Cs590. I absolutely know for a fact that I won’t buy anything with a plastic clambshell design.

I’ll never be cutting large trees, maybe 20” at the most, mainly popular, locust, sassafras.

I’ve pretty much narrowed it down to these two saws, also considered the dolmar 5105. I will only buy new so used is off the table.
What do ya guys think, can they 261cm handle my needs.

You need two saws, one less than 4kg and one that can cut the beefy logs.
My favorite is the 25ccm top handle...

You need two saws, one less than 4kg and one that can cut the beefy logs.
My favorite is the 25ccm top handle...
After all the reading I’ve done here, I knew there would be feedback like this. And I get it, too. In the ideals situation, I’m true believer that a guy who cuts a lot of wood needs two saws. If not fir anything else, at least he has the capability to cut his primary saw out in case of a pinch and it gets stuck. I agree, a two saw plan is invaluable. Have one big snd one small one.

But, there are lots of guys like me that just don’t cut much wood. At least not enough to have two saws. I don’t buy cheap tools, i always buy the best available. That doesn’t mean the most popular. I refuse to buy snapon because quite frankly, it’s not the best! Sure, it’s the most expensive, but certainly not the best. The guys who have 50k in snap on tools will argue it’s the best because they need to justify their money. But after 30 years working with hand tools, i KNOW snap on is nothing more than a high priced name. Which is exactly why I wonybe pulled into a stihl vs Husqvarna vs echo vs dolmar, vs blah blah blah. A name doesn’t mean crap to me. I want what’s the best bang for my $ and I could give two ***** who’s name is stamped on it.

I honestly feel the Exho CS590 may be the best value on the market today. A whole lotta saw for the price. However, I also think the Stihl 261cm is a whole lotta saw for the money, and it will probably retain “MOST” if it’s value if a guy decided to upgrade in a few years. Do I think the 261 is the end all of saws? Nope! But I think it may be the smartest 50cc saw purchase a feller can make. I also think the Echo 590 is one hell of a buy for what you get..

...But, there are lots of guys like me that just don’t cut much wood. At least not enough to have two saws. I don’t buy cheap tools, i always buy the best available...

Than my humble suggestion would be to consider that you actually don't need a heavy professional saw. If you buy a home use kind of saw at 4kg/1,5kw and always keep your chain sharp - you can do most things with that saw and you wont get tired quickly which makes it fun and convenient to use as well. If you start in that end of the scale you might consider at one point a bigger one, but it's unlikely you would want to trade it for your light weight practical one without regretting it. Any saw from the most famed brands is a quality one - it don't need to be designed for professional loggers that are using it 8 hours every day for it to be a quality tool.

Than my humble suggestion would be to consider that you actually don't need a heavy professional saw. If you buy a home use kind of saw at 4kg/1,5kw and always keep your chain sharp - you can do most things with that saw and you wont get tired quickly which makes it fun and convenient to use as well. If you start in that end of the scale you might consider at one point a bigger one, but it's unlikely you would want to trade it for your light weight practical one without regretting it. Any saw from the most famed brands is a quality one - it don't need to be designed for professional loggers that are using it 8 hours every day for it to be a quality tool.

Thanks, but plastic clamshell designs are off the table. Whether I need the quality of pro built tools or not, I find them an overall better investment of my money.

Pro saw do not tend to be heavier than farm/homeowner saw of the saw size either. In fact, quite the opposite.

Absolutely true, my point was that buying a 50ccm at 5kg when what you really need is a 35ccm at 4kg might not be the best choice for everyone.
Paying twice the cost for something made for professional use when what you really need is quite affordable might not be the best choice for everyone either.

I'm simply trying to offer a different point of view from all the guys that prefer to use a 441 when trimming the hedge because it makes them feel like a man, I don't need that and I see that it is pointless so I'll leave you to it.

Back