Towing splitter+ cops???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

59Ford

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Has anyone had any issues with the law while towing a splitter? I'm in a small town where they don't care but always wondered if I could technically be ticketed if I went through a stricter area since it has no plates, lights, title, etc.

I have a set of magnetic tow lights but always thought that probably draws more attention to the fact that it's not legal(you can easily see the vehicle tailights).

I know that here in VA that they think of it as a farm equipment so if you have one of those triangles than you would be good with that.

here on L I you can do it with a splitter cement mixer generator you do not need a plate

Yup, it is legal to not have lights or a plate since the item is never "used over the road". The items are only used off-road. None of our chippers at work have plates and a few older chippers don't have lights either. They also run on off-road diesel. All of this is perfectly legal since the item is never in use while on over the road. Hope that helps.

I know that in NH, there are only 2 things you can tow without a reg and plates and lights:

A woodsplitter, and a stumpgrinder. I know, because a State Trooper pulled us over for pulling a stumpgrinder with no plate. He had to let us go on our way after he called in to the mother ship.

I do place a grade stake on the back of mine (Held with a bungee) that has a reflective plastic diamond on the top...it helps cars see it from behind, and helps me know it's still attatched to the truck.

Last edited:
a fellow member told me I should put a sign on that back of my splitter saying Scrap in Tow. If you saw "BIG UGLY you would understand why he said that. I might give it a try

Jeff

I know that here in VA that they think of it as a farm equipment so if you have one of those triangles than you would be good with that.

The reflective triangle you describe indicates a slow moving vehicle. Section § 46.2-1081. (Slow-moving vehicle emblems.) of the Code of Virginia details its use. Specifically, § 46.2-1081. A. states: "Every farm tractor, self-propelled unit of farm equipment or implement of husbandry, and any other vehicle designed for operation at speeds not in excess of 25 miles per hour or normally operated at speeds not in excess of 25 miles per hour, shall display a triangular slow-moving vehicle emblem on the rear of the vehicle when traveling on a public highway at any time of the day or night."

Additionally, § 46.2-1081. D. reads: "The use of the slow-moving vehicle emblem shall be restricted to the uses specified in this title."

Based on the foregoing statutes, it would not be permissible to use a SMV sign on any towed equipment moved at greater then 25 MPH. A better alternative may be a a vertically mounted flag and reflective tape.

Specifically, § 46.2-1081. A. states: "Every farm tractor, self-propelled unit of farm equipment or implement of husbandry, and any other vehicle designed for operation at speeds not in excess of 25 miles per hour or normally operated at speeds not in excess of 25 miles per hour, shall display a triangular slow-moving vehicle emblem on the rear of the vehicle when traveling on a public highway at any time of the day or night."

Additionally, § 46.2-1081. D. reads: "The use of the slow-moving vehicle emblem shall be restricted to the uses specified in this title."

Based on the foregoing statutes, it would not be permissible to use a SMV sign on any towed equipment moved at greater then 25 MPH. A better alternative may be a a vertically mounted flag and reflective tape.

This makes me think it would be ok. You could go 25 MPH and be ok, or faster and say "normally we only go 25 MPH but I'm afraid some speed freak is going to rear-end me". Just sayin, it leaves much to be interpreted.

I pull my splitter behind another trailer usually (no triangle either). I haven't had a problem but, in Nebraska, people usually aren't too anal about stupid BS. If I did get pulled over, my charm would save me.:good:

Has anyone had any issues with the law while towing a splitter? I'm in a small town where they don't care but always wondered if I could technically be ticketed if I went through a stricter area since it has no plates, lights, title, etc.

I have a set of magnetic tow lights but always thought that probably draws more attention to the fact that it's not legal(you can easily see the vehicle tailights).

Some states require plate, lights, fenders. The splitters I owned, I could easily shove up onto the bed of a p/u, so it was never an issue.

I would think it would depend on the splitter as to if you could see the tow vehicle lights with it attached or not. I only pull mine during the day. I don't think you would run into any problem, and I guess if highway patrol pulled you over you could just say ok, my bad, now just help me load it into the back of the truck and I will be on my way!!! Trust me they won't get there hands dirty helping anyone, at least not in my part of Nebraska

and I guess if highway patrol pulled you over you could just say ok, my bad, now just help me load it into the back of the truck and I will be on my way!!! Trust me they won't get there hands dirty helping anyone, at least not in my part of Nebraska

DOT pulled me over one day in my fuel truck. I only had about 1/2 a load on and he kept asking me how much I had in each compartment and I gave him a different amount everytime and kept shaking my head, getting dumber by the minute. Finally, I told him he'd just have to climb up and take a look.......he didn't, but I passed inspection, lol.

Just look at there cars anymore. They used to say to serve and protect but they took that off years ago. Now they need to put their real motto on "To Annoy and Harass" I have seen highway patrol cars pass by a pregnant mom eight months along with kids in the car trying to change a flat and never stopped:angry2:, but I sure did!

Yep; you're legal. As others have stated. I have a Triangle on the back of the tractor. It's usually above anything I tow on the highways.
woodsplitterproto20081.jpg

here on L I you can do it with a splitter cement mixer generator you do not need a plate

true. in NYS a "dedicated" trailer does not need plates, but i think you need lights.

i have brake/stop/running lights on my trailer. hell, for less than 30 bucks you can outfit a splitter with lights. if not to be legal, just for being courteous to others on the road.

So, what does the statutes read in your state on plates, lights, etc. on trailers? In Wisconsin you do not have to title a trailer until it reaches a certain weight. But, if you are going to tow it, it must have lights and safety chains.
Besides, if you are going to tow your splitter down the highway what is the big deal about making it legal to do so?
(This will probably bring out the popcorn with "the Government should stay out of my life" pundits.)

Back