Tracked Aerial Lift

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you might wanna read your federal motor carrier regs uhh?

You really ought to read them yourself. :msp_smile:

Question 2: Is a driver of a combination vehicle with a Gross Combination Weight Rating (GCWR) of less than 26,001 pounds required to obtain a CDL even if the trailer Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) is more than 10,000 pounds?

Guidance: No, because the Gross Combination Weight Rating (GCWR) is less than 26,001 pounds.

Interpretation for 383.91: - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration

Maybe you would share where it says in PA you need a CDL for a trailer over 10k and a pickup?

While you are at it maybe you could show as ell where it says you need a CDL class B for an under CDL truck with air brakes?

Last edited:
However...........Fatmax will probably disagree as he probably doesnt think you need a Med Card or a written pre trip/post trip inspection either...........funny how I just went through a mandatory DOT audit & was compliant on every aspect....thank god......but hey what do I know, someone a few states away will be sure to explain my states laws to me.....:dizzy: Yep, dot number, motor carrier number, road tax sticker.......dont need any of that crap either uhh? LMFAO.......

Depends on the situation. Some or none of that will be needed.

See the top post with frank boyer quoted........his buddy builds BBQ pits & over 10,001 needs CDL....Hmm guess Im not the only one who`s state requires such??

I guess you failed to read my post or check the link I gave to the TX DPS? eh?

Last edited:
Well come to PA hauling your >10,001 trailer with your 3/4 ton pickup......with your class B or better yet....your class C.....Mr.DOT will love you :laugh:............you might wanna read your federal motor carrier regs uhh?

Some more reading you must have missed.

Even IF PA required a CDL for my 3/4 ton and 10k plus trailer they can't enforce their regualtions on me.

Question 3: Can a State which expands the vehicle group descriptions in §383.91 enforce those expansions on out-of-State Commercial Motor Vehicle (CMV) drivers by requiring them to have a CDL?

Guidance: No. They must recognize out-of-State licenses that have been validly issued in accordance with the Federal standards and operative licensing compacts.

You really ought to read them yourself. :msp_smile:

Maybe you would share where it says in PA you need a CDL for a trailer over 10k and a pickup?

While you are at it maybe you could show as ell where it says you need a CDL class B for an under CDL truck with air brakes?

Any trailer over 10k requires a class A CDL doesnt matter what you pull it with 10,001 pounds class A its very clearly stated even on the back of your drivers license.

it says 26000 > wich means you can drive a vehicle over 26k

and 10000< wich means you cant tow a trialer over 10k

I think there may have been some major changes recently in cdl laws as I had a very long "discussion" with my brother last week before testing for my cdl. These are the rules straight from the book.

attachment.php

So yes, you can drive an air brake truck if the gvwr is under 26,001 and you do not need a cdl for a 10,001 or bigger trailer if your combination weight rating is under 26,001. Seems pretty cut and dry. I'd have to do more research to see how it varies state to state but I remember reading somewhere that the rules had been consolidated Federally to help lesson the confusion amongst DOT officers and policemen...and obviously cdl drivers.

I have a cdl B with air brake restriction so I can drive my air brake chip truck because it's rated at 24,500 and my hydraulic brake bucket rated at 31,000. I can pull my 16,000 lb trailer with either my 1 ton pickup or my chip truck but not with my bucket.

All CDLs incluide air brakes unless it has a restriction.

Trailers over 10k alone do NOT require a CDL.

Now if he is pulling them with a truck that has a GVWR of 16k - 26k then being over or under 10k with the trailer would determine if he needs a CDL or not. Actual weight still doesn't make a difffference here as it goes by GVWR.

TxDPS - CVE Commercial Driver License Classifications

Nope. a class b or under doesn't auto assume air brakes. Class A does.

Well come to PA hauling your >10,001 trailer with your 3/4 ton pickup......with your class B or better yet....your class C.....Mr.DOT will love you :laugh:............you might wanna read your federal motor carrier regs uhh?

30 yr CDL..............WTF, the commercial drivers license here wasnt put into play untill the early 90`s......I remember when truckers could have multiple licenses from many different states...............unless fattymax re-wrote the laws back in 78 LOL

LXT...............

If you read the current regs, you'd know you don't need a cdl to haul a 10001 trailer if you're pulling it with an under cdl rig.

Air brakes are no longer an endorsement so yes, a regular cdl includes air brakes. If you tested in a truck without air brakes you don't have a regular cdl. You have one like mine, with a restriction.

Air brakes are no longer an endorsement so yes, a regular cdl includes air brakes. If you tested in a truck without air brakes you don't have a regular cdl. You have one like mine, with a restriction.

A/B's on a class B is an endorsement. I have my CDL that i can scan that says so, it adds A/B onto the permit, does not restrict use of A/B unless the permit doesn't have the "endorsement". I have both actually, a B permit, and an A. Now Chris, what I am not positive of here is the terms "endorsement" and "restriction". So the way you worded it above could very well be correct in your state, but it means the same universally, but it comes down to terminology, and not application.

All you guys have good points. Some of them are wrong some not. Why don't you change the thread title to "Does anybody know if I need a CDL?" The OP asked about a Tracked Aerial Lift. Yes the OP will probably need a CDL to transport it which is a good point, but it is not what he asked. Is it worth the $$$$?

I think there may have been some major changes recently in cdl laws as I had a very long "discussion" with my brother last week before testing for my cdl. These are the rules straight from the book.

It has been the same since about '92.

I have a cdl B with air brake restriction so I can drive my air brake chip truck because it's rated at 24,500 and my hydraulic brake bucket rated at 31,000. I can pull my 16,000 lb trailer with either my 1 ton pickup or my chip truck but not with my bucket.

Your trailer plus chip truck requires a class A. Probably with the one ton as well.

Last edited:

Class A doesn't assume anything. All the class of CDL are the same when it comes to air brakes. All the classes can be had with or without the air brake restriction.

Last edited:
If you read the current regs, you'd know you don't need a cdl to haul a 10001 trailer if you're pulling it with an under cdl rig.

Wow now just wait a minute. Over 10k trailer CAN require a CDL if the CGVWR is ove 26k. If you read the current regs you would know this.

All you guys have good points. Some of them are wrong some not. Why don't you change the thread title to "Does anybody know if I need a CDL?" The OP asked about a Tracked Aerial Lift. Yes the OP will probably need a CDL to transport it which is a good point, but it is not what he asked. Is it worth the $$$$?

LOL, true. I didn't even look at the first post. Just clicked and saw this discussion.....

How is your comment any less OT then anyone elses?

Wow now just wait a minute. Over 10k trailer CAN require a CDL if the CGVWR is ove 26k. If you read the current regs you would know this.

Correct. I was writting in regards to the 3/4 ton pick up truck from the original post, and I got a bit off track. Thanks for the catch, I really dislike posting bad info.

All the class of CDL are the same when it comes to air brakes. All the classes can be had with or without the air brake endorsement.

Ok, DOT cop. You're right again. Damn it. Although it's STUPID to go through all that trouble and not get an A/B endorsement.

Latest posts

Back