Tracked machine for skidding?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Slamm, generally speaking when it comes to the mud I agree with you. There is that sweet spot where it'd be too wet to forward and not wet enough where as long as he's totally distributing his bunching activity, he'd never really be breaking through the duff with the dozer. They are used here so much because it is steep and there is far more road building to get to more timber, don't start me on whether this just means its really cable ground.... forwarders are intended to work bunched wood (from a processor, in traditional cases) which enables them to get more of a load each stop. A cable machine for bunching will be a natural progression anyhow, he can bunch and merchandise in any condition.

Slamm, generally speaking when it comes to the mud I agree with you. There is that sweet spot where it'd be too wet to forward and not wet enough where as long as he's totally distributing his bunching activity, he'd never really be breaking through the duff with the dozer. They are used here so much because it is steep and there is far more road building to get to more timber, don't start me on whether this just means its really cable ground.... forwarders are intended to work bunched wood (from a processor, in traditional cases) which enables them to get more of a load each stop. A cable machine for bunching will be a natural progression anyhow, he can bunch and merchandise in any condition.

Yeah, I got locked into thinking about working these bottoms grounds. Those guys that I know that use the D4's and JD450's the bunch for the skidders that are running the ridge with the hitches out, but they can run those little dozers when it is completely soaked on the side hills for slow straight uphill pulling.

The thing I noticed is they can pull straight up and straight down those hills so well that, they can just back right up to every single log, I mean right up to it, on steep ground, and it just seemed to me that a grapple machine would be easily double the production, plus if you are cutting in wet conditions, its more likely that the log sinks and you can't get the choker under it, which I just hate. I'm not sure of Bitzer's board footage average, but if its not too big 200ish or so, I would sure look at a JD550 with some sort of grapple on it for bunching, once he gets to figuring out what size loads it can handle he can just buck the bigger logs to size, and pull up appropriate sized loads, instead of wasting time trying to get a choker under a muddy log and getting on and off the machine. Put lights on it and get it ready for working the short hour days, because a dozer, like a wide padded JD450 or 550 can go in any mud condition and most any slope and back right up to the log. It would be easier on the machine to grapple smaller logs or bucked up logs, than it would be to cable skid larger full length logs up the hill and have to drag them through everything, or at least I think so. A JD650 with a grapple would be the cats meow, I think, and they are pretty fast.

If I worked wet hills more, I would have an enclosed cab JD650 with a small swing grapple on it, that way when conditions are total crap, I don't have to get wet or muddy, and put lights on it, so I can work in any condition especially the short houred days, when there isn't anything else to do, but it just doesn't seem to me that I get into hills as much anymore which is great, so the flotation tire methods should work best for our pure mud conditions. I think Bitzer is working more hills than me, so the dozer with a cable arch or grapple would be pretty good for him. Make sure you get a wide track, they are night and day different on wet ground.

My opinion,

Sam

The guys in the videos were working in the Winter. They couldn't always work due to the rain, but they were careful so they were able to work shortly after the rain stopped, and our soils have no clay and drain well. Machines are restricted to pre-planned skid trails, and these guys were smart enough to keep the trails on the higher areas of ground where they could. If they hadn't, I would have suggested doing that.

They fell the trees by chainsaw, even though it was flat ground (for here) and then walked their shovel out, and bunched the trees. He'd fling slash out in the trail ahead of the shovel, which also allowed them to work in marginal conditions.

Then they skidded the bunches out with the little cat. Everybody seemed to be committed to do a nice job.
That unit was right up against a heavily used (in the Summer) tourist road.

What kind of distances are your skids? Primarily adverse or favourable skids? Do you often work on steep slopes? Maybe I missed it in the previous replys. Just trying trying to get a feel for your ground.

Last edited:
I'm not saying there's a one system that fits all. I know back east you guys use skidders and forwarders primarily but if you work lots of soft broken ground with steps you might want to think about shovels. My reasoning is here in Western WA on the coast skidders or cats are not allowed as they cause too much compaction because the constant back and forth over the same skid trail causes severe compaction and muddying in our soft clay soils. Shovels do have shorter skid distances but in choppy ground with benches they have the advantage. They can reach out from the trail and they move the wood in swings instead of moving back and forth.They can also chunk up the ruts they do leave and you can put in puncheon in real soft places. Further more they can also be used to bunch and you could forward your bunches to a dedicated skid trail to pick up with your skidder. Just some thoughts and here's some pics of what I was talking about. It's also been my observation that they can work on pretty steep ground... steeper than most people would think.

View attachment 231082

View attachment 231086

View attachment 231087

View attachment 231091

View attachment 231092

I'm not saying there's a one system that fits all. I know back east you guys use skidders and forwarders primarily but if you work lots of soft broken ground with steps you might want to think about shovels. My reasoning is here in Western WA on the coast skidders or cats are not allowed as they cause too much compaction because the constant back and forth over the same skid trail causes severe compaction and muddying in our soft clay soils. Shovels do have shorter skid distances but in choppy ground with benches they have the advantage. They can reach out from the trail and they move the wood in swings instead of moving back and forth.They can also chunk up the ruts they do leave and you can put in puncheon in real soft places. Further more they can also be used to bunch and you could forward your bunches to a dedicated skid trail to pick up with your skidder. Just some thoughts and here's some pics of what I was talking about. It's also been my observation that they can work on pretty steep ground... steeper than most people would think.

View attachment 231082

View attachment 231086

View attachment 231087

View attachment 231091

View attachment 231092

+1

Thanks again for the discussion boys! The ground has been a real teaser. Almost ready yesterday and rain again today. I cut last friday all day in the rain, but it was 50 degrees. Today it is in the 30s. I said nuts to that. I've got about 3 tuckloads of logs and 3 of pulp sittn on the ground now. Just waiting...

I found these a few hours north of me and it looks like they are on my rims. I'm going to give them a call today and see whats up and their impression of them. I should get a hold of someone running them up here because I can guess what the dealer would say. With the float tires I'd still be maintaining one machine instead of two.

Float Tires-Logging

I can't get over the tracked machine idea though and I'm going to call around to see if there are any I can demo or something. I don't mind getting wet or muddy. I think I was built for that kind of crap or maybe too dumb to care. The grapple sounds good to me, but that could be tough to find around here.

Either way I've got to up production when the ground is good. I'm thinking about a winch on the back of my machine too. Even another 2-300bf per skid would help. With logs and pulp on the bunk I'm getting an average of 600bf per skid and about a cord of pulp. The job I'm in right now I started back in January so it was a whole different animal back then. There are a lot of low spots in the first forty which is primarly flat back to the back forty which has two ridgelines and a valley. There are several drainage creeks running through-out. Of course I'm working the back right now and its about an 8 minute skid one way. This is the longest skid I've ever had so far. As the time goes on I am getting a lot more say in where the landing and roads should be. It may sound dumb, but just little tweaks in placement of roads/landing can make all the difference I think. Spring up here is wet and bound to happen. Usually it will dry up in mid may and then I can crank away again.

A small cable skidder like a JD 440 will be in my near future I'm sure of that. I could haul that with my truck and start other jobs where the ground has good drainage and is good. I've talked with my forester and he said he'd have no problem with me having two jobs open at once. Just to keep moving. We have some pretty steep ground around here that would not be forwarder friendly and would make me more versatile. Not real long hills, but stuff that will make you roll the leather out the sides of your boots.

I stopped in with the forester yesterday to check a landing at an Amish horse logging job. They were working some pretty steep and broken up ridges. I think I should quit my #####in after seein that! Block and tackle and all kinds of crazy stuff. They run Stihls. I saw a couple of 440s and a 441.

Thanks Again!

Those tires would keep you above ground for sure! Offer them $8K.

Here's one that was for sale @ Oregon Tractor..

[video=youtube;yzkPkmr_a2w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzkPkmr_a2w[/video]

Good god, don't offer them anything. You can get the same tires for around $2,000-3,000 and the rims for about $100-200 each, pm me for more information.

If you are going to get a Deere cable machine, I would highly recommend a 540B over the 440's and 540A, I've owned and driven all three. The 540B has differentials that unlock and will allow your trails and landings to last much longer than machines with locked up differentials. They also turn tighter than even the smaller machines like the 540A, they have very fuel efficient 4cylinders with turbos and they are tough, you can pull 800 board feet at a good clip and even 1,000 in the lower gears and right terrain. With 23.1x26's they are good on hills.

The next time we are logging up north, probably Wednesday, we have a 10 minute one way skid and that sucks, gotta have the batteries charged on the radio earmuffs for that skid, its 1/2 mile long. We have about 10 acres left back there and then we move to 120 acres that is closer to the landing.

Later,

Sam

Thanks OldTimer for the video clip! Thats interesting to see.

Sam- I had that talk with Hammer last summer and he pointed me in that same direction with the 540s. I've seen in person, but never run both sizes of machine and the 540s seem like they'd be the ticket. How are they as far as hauling though? What do they weigh out at? I'd be looking for something I could haul easily with my pick up. I should be able to tow 8-9 tons with my truck. Its a pain in the ass calling in a lowboy for the forwarder at $2-300 a crack. When I move it, its for a while. I'd like to be a little more mobile.

Thanks!

Well a 540B cable is in the 18,000+ish range. I don't know for sure, as I have never pulled across the scales with one. I have pulled mine on a 25K gooseneck behind my 3/4 ton Duramax, all over southwestern Wisconsin, Iowa, Nebraska, Northern Missouri and Illinois, but I wake up early in the morning and don't kid myself about it being legal. If you have a bigger truck and a pintle hook equipment trailer, then I think its okay. Lotsa guys pull them behind duallies, but a smaller 440 or 540A would of course be lighter, but I think in the woods they fall just short of having the weight and umph to get work done without haveing to overwork, because your machine is too little.

My 540B cable machine is 8' wide, my grapple machine is 8.5' wide, you can really sneak around the woods and not knock anything over with them. I have been told by one of the larger sawmill operators that has two crews that they ran those larger floatation tires on a 540B grapple and in his own words, he said,"You could skid logs where no man could walk."

So that is the route I'm going to take, for muddy and soft work.

Sam

Bitzer, the 540B is too much to move with a pickup, even a ton dually, if you want to be legal and be able to stop in a hurry. So, with that in mind, I humbly suggest a 648 grapple...I put mine wherever I could put the C5d Tree Farmer and most times with less rub damage. You can buy a 648D or E dual arch with a winch for $18 to $25K. It might have hours on it, but mine has 20,500 and is still going..
My reasoning is that the 540 cable is simply no match for a 648. The 6 will move 3x as much wood with 1/2 the effort. It will use more fuel, but when you move 3x more wood it's a non-issue. Set the hand throttle to 1/3 and use the transmission to go faster.

Trust me on this one. I have run a 440B, 440C, 540A, 540B, 540D, Tree Farmer C5D, Tree Farmer C6D, 640 single arch, and now my 648D D/A.

Your SO want the dual arch with a winch.

Work SMART, not hard. And don't be scared to take on a little bigger payment when the result is more wood moved for less effort.

oldtimer, its a little different since he'll just be bunching for the forwarder, no skid distance really over 200'. Agreed on the transport though, either one can be pulled on a 20 ton tilt deck behind a dump truck, and if they're close to the same price, why not?

With a 648, he might just skid whole tree more often than not. It'll move more wood in the run of a day, there's no doubt of it.

There is definatly alot to be said for mechanizing . I just don't like payments . At this point it looks like u definatly need another machine . A shovel is pretty ideal , but alot of maintenence. And they aint lite .
Picture08.jpg

This Mountain Logger 200 did pretty good in wet conditions . If it would have been used more intelligently it would have got alot more wood out . But it wasn't worth much if it got on steeper ground with lots of wet roots in the ground . Chains would have solved that tho .

tramp busheler. Were those Mountain loggers the ones with the chassis (and by chassis I guess I mean everything but the motor and the winch) made in Kalispell, MT? A guy I met this winter was using a 174 that seemed to be doing what he needed it to. Anyway, just wondering. thanks.

Could be but I thot they were made in Washington . The 200 have 653 Detroits and Clark tranny's . It had lots of snort . A 2 cord tree length skidder for sure .more if its bucked in half decent conditions I'm sure it would handle 2 bushel soft wood . One thing I didn't like about it was it was an extra step up into the cab .

What engine did the 174 have in it.

I" believe" they were made in Wash, and sold by Lynnwood Equip. They were real popular on the Peninsula. Cut for a couple of gyppos that ran em.

Latest posts

Back