Tractor or Skidloader

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think for a commercial firewood guy, a big skidsteer makes sense. For a guy producing his own firewood, or even a small amount to sell, the tractor makes more sense. Tractors may be "lighter duty". However, they are still plenty big enough for what most people are doing. They are also typically cheaper, tear up less lawn, and are useful for 3 point work like pulling a rake or a boxblade, a seeder or a garden plow, a mower deck, etc.

Specs aside IMO unless you are stacking big logs or loading such on your super heavy duty trailer, anything with a lift capacity of 5000# is wasted capacity in firewood work. Likewise unless you have a serious bucket it is overkill for loading sand, gravel or dirt.

Ron
When it comes to skid steer machines the "rated operating load" capacity rating is the safe lifting limit through the entire range of motion and driving it on most reasonable ground conditions. The S-250 Bobcat is rated to safely lift 2500lbs and carry (drive) with the loader arms in any position as would be done when loading a dump truck. This does not mean that you should lift 2500lbs on pallet forks with the load center on the front of the forks and 4ft above the forks. Now that we have established what the "rated operating load" means, most all skid steer get this load rating by figuring the "tipping load" and cutting that number in half or some use down to 30% of "tipping load". Most all machines from the factory can lift to the "tipping load" rating or beyond. With counterweights on the axles and in the rear door the S-250 can easily lift and carry (low to the ground) 5000lbs. Another thing to consider is that the ratings all include the weight of whatever attachment you put on them too. Forks are the lightest usually and make for intersting driving conditions when empty. Considering that an 84" dirt bucket weighs in between 800-1000lbs empty and can heap one full cubic yard of dirt in it (2500-3k lbs), I dont believe that 5k of lifting ability is over rating anything.

All that said, I own a '99 773 turbo model bobcat with a "rated operating load" of 1850lbs and a "tipping load" of 3900lbs as factory equipped. With 3 door weights and heavier tires on the machine I actually have to have axle weights on the front axle to keep the front wheels down when no attachment is on. I have a 66" grapple for the front that weighs about 500lbs and I know I have picked up +3000lb logs and rocks with it on. Driving on uneven ground with the 66" grapple is tricky as it wants to "wheelie" very easily. I normally use a 74" grapple that comes in closer to 1000lbs because it carries more brush and loads the trailers better or piles higher.

To the O/P:
My vote goes to skid steer if no 3 point attachments are needed. With a careful operator and some well worn tires (half tread or less is better) the wheeled machines can very easily be used on nice lawns as long as the ground isn't soft. Tire chains are your friend in the winter and if the ground conditions are slimy with a bottom. If swamps and soft ground are more prevalent then over the tire tracks can be easily installed too. Tracked machines have their place but for an entry level "beginner" machine, the wheel machines are your best all around bang for the buck.

Sorry @rwoods , I quoted the wrong one. Didn't mean to dump that on you. I was intending to quote the same one you quoted from @sirbuildalot . And at that too, I wasn't intending to call anyone out, just stating that skid steer lift more than a lot of people think they can for their weight

I have no experience with skid steers, but I don't think one would be as good around our place as a tractor. Rough hilly ground, and travelling any distance with a load on the front has me leery. I am picturing getting hung up or stuck, and bouncing around too much. Plus slower travelling speed.

As usual, it all comes down to situational preferences.

When it comes to skid steer machines the "rated operating load" capacity rating is the safe lifting limit through the entire range of motion and driving it on most reasonable ground conditions. The S-250 Bobcat is rated to safely lift 2500lbs and carry (drive) with the loader arms in any position as would be done when loading a dump truck. This does not mean that you should lift 2500lbs on pallet forks with the load center on the front of the forks and 4ft above the forks. Now that we have established what the "rated operating load" means, most all skid steer get this load rating by figuring the "tipping load" and cutting that number in half or some use down to 30% of "tipping load". Most all machines from the factory can lift to the "tipping load" rating or beyond. With counterweights on the axles and in the rear door the S-250 can easily lift and carry (low to the ground) 5000lbs. Another thing to consider is that the ratings all include the weight of whatever attachment you put on them too. Forks are the lightest usually and make for intersting driving conditions when empty. Considering that an 84" dirt bucket weighs in between 800-1000lbs empty and can heap one full cubic yard of dirt in it (2500-3k lbs), I dont believe that 5k of lifting ability is over rating anything.

All that said, I own a '99 773 turbo model bobcat with a "rated operating load" of 1850lbs and a "tipping load" of 3900lbs as factory equipped. With 3 door weights and heavier tires on the machine I actually have to have axle weights on the front axle to keep the front wheels down when no attachment is on. I have a 66" grapple for the front that weighs about 500lbs and I know I have picked up +3000lb logs and rocks with it on. Driving on uneven ground with the 66" grapple is tricky as it wants to "wheelie" very easily. I normally use a 74" grapple that comes in closer to 1000lbs because it carries more brush and loads the trailers better or piles higher.

To the O/P:
My vote goes to skid steer if no 3 point attachments are needed. With a careful operator and some well worn tires (half tread or less is better) the wheeled machines can very easily be used on nice lawns as long as the ground isn't soft. Tire chains are your friend in the winter and if the ground conditions are slimy with a bottom. If swamps and soft ground are more prevalent then over the tire tracks can be easily installed too. Tracked machines have their place but for an entry level "beginner" machine, the wheel machines are your best all around bang for the buck.
Very informative information.

Thank You to everyone who responded to the post. As usual you guys were able to point out a lot of facts that I had not thought about. I think at this point I am going to search for a tractor. One of the major things I had not thought about was the fact that a used Skid loader is more likley to have been abused by the prior owner and will be much more difficult to work on when it needs repairs. I am going to do some looking around to see what kind of deals they have on new units and go from there, otherwise the search will be on for a good condition used unit.

The one thing I dont like about SS is going up steep hills without anything in the bucket. They will flip over backwards in a heartbeat. Everybodies needs are a little different and a case can be made for either machine. I dont have a need for a dedicated loader so for me a tractor with loader makes more sense

Never had that issue. Keep the bucket down

From what you described, I’d go for a tractor. Skid steers get stuck very easily. I had the opportunity to run a bobcat T750 the other day. For such a heavy machine, it doesn’t mangle the ground much at all. Where I was, a wheeled machine would have been stuck in a second. A tractor would have been ok though. The tractor is more versatile, but it will just take you longer to do the tasks.

I've got thousands of hrs on skid steers, haven't been stuck yet. Can usually get it out with the bucket.

I've got thousands of hrs on skid steers, haven't been stuck yet. Can usually get it out with the bucket.

Yes but if you get stuck going through somewhere and have to unstick with the bucket that usually means you just aren't getting through after that. Just think some people would be in situations and places where a SS wouldn't work very good.

They will perform a lot of the same tasks, however I personally prefer tractors due to the versatility.

My avatar pic is my go to tractor. Has a 6' dirt bucket that holds around a half a yard of material. A fire wood box on forks that is approx. 3' x 3' x 5' and holds exactly one third of a cord. It could weigh anywhere from 1500-2000 lbs. when filled up. I believe the tractor would lift more, but I don't see the need. I also have an 8' truck plow that was converted to quick attach for snow removal, power angles left to right. A 7' landscape rake, a 6' box blade, a 5' grapple, etc. Also has the ability to have a decent sized backhoe added if need be.

Point is it may not be as maneuverable as a skid steer, but it performs similar tasks around my property, and was the right choice for me as a residential user.

Sorry @rwoods , I quoted the wrong one. Didn't mean to dump that on you. I was intending to quote the same one you quoted from @sirbuildalot . And at that too, I wasn't intending to call anyone out, just stating that skid steer lift more than a lot of people think they can for their weight

No problem.

I usually error on bigger is better. I was just trying to put in perspective that most of us ordinary firewooders don’t need 5000# lift capacity. OP may have other uses in mind, but I didn’t see any that I thought required that much muscle. I will hasten to say, however, that last spring a contractor friend loaned me his CAT tracked skid steer to move firewood out of a ravine. Don’t remember the model designation but it was CAT’s largest. Man, was it nice. Very stable, and of course, lifting nowhere near its capacity.

Ron

Ok when i take logs out of the woods my skidloader is far better than my loader tractor. And if it is to muddy for the skidloader , it is to wet to get tractor through. But it is only two wheel drive. The thing is with a skidloader is , how well u can see where your forks are , or bucket cutting edge is at.

I have both, but I spent less than half your budget to get them. That being said they are both on the small side.
My Yanmar 1401D does not have a loader on it but it does a great job tilling the garden and pulling a small trailer. It is scary on hills and I have rolled it before. It however is much lighter (1000 lbs) than many other tractors available. It however is low hours, completely reliable, and hard to get stuck. It is very rough on the yard and gravel driveway though as the rice and cane tires on it will dig deep to find traction. I paid around $2000 for it with several attachments.
I recently bought a New Holland L425 skid steer for $3000. It also is a very small skid steer, which gives me very good visibility in all directions compared to a Bobcat S150 I rented before. For such a small machine it is incredible what it can lift. It actually is not hard on the yard or driveway as long as I don't turn tight. My tires are completely bald and foam filled. The foam fill makes the machine much more stable and I don't hesitate to run all over hillsides with it. I run chains on all tires for traction and unless I get in soft wet clay or very deep loose dirt, it always has enough traction to go. I would also much rather roll a skid steer than a tractor. However if you remember where the weight is and keep the boom low, a skid steer is a stable machine. Weight kits and liquid or foam filled tires are must have items on a skid steer. My particular skid steer though is down now with a engine/starter issue. It was a pain to get the boom out of the way to access the engine (only a problem on the design of mine, most skid steers you can access the engine regardless of boom position) every thing is easy enough to work on. It is much easier than having to split a tractor for sure.

If you need a PTO, have general farm work to do, or want to pull a trailer, log splitter, or even skid logs, the tractor is the better choice. The cost and parts available for the tractor are better also. Even finding implements is much easier and less expensive since the 3 point hitch is universal. If you want to do loader work you need four wheel drive and the bigger the tractor, the more useful it is. However unless you run turf tires a tractor will always tear up turf.

If you want to do loader work or move dirt the skid steer is the hands down winner. It is much more maneuverable and can lift much more than a tractor of equal cost. If you make tight turns on a skid steer you will tear up the yard in a hurry. If you learn to make large radius turns though a skid steer can be gentle on the grass. The cost of parts and implements for a skid steer is higher. Also it wasn't until the mid 90's that the quick connection became universal so new buckets require modifications to fit old equipment. As others have said it is a pain to get in and out of a skid steer and they are very rough rides. It also takes lots of patience to get good at operating a skid steer. You can get many of the same attachments for a skid steer as you can for a tractor but they cost more. I would however recommend going small with a skid steer. A small skid steer is more maneuverable and has better visibility than a large one. For the most part a small skid steer can do the same job as a large one. It just takes longer as the smaller unit will have to make more trips to haul the same amount. But the big unit with its 84 inch bucket won't fit between the trees or go thru the barn door.

Ask a dumb question get a dumb answer. Lol Maybe I should have said would you want to tow a trailer with a skidsteer? I never see anyone doing that. Throw a hitch on a bicycle and you can tow a trailer.

Not personally seen it in use, but some models have a receiver hitch. If I had a skid steer it would have a winch and an arch or something else on the back to skid logs. A problem of skid steers is poor rear visibility which may be why you see few rear attachments.

Ron

Back