• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Want to Trade Trading for a hydraulic dump trailer?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

softdown

There is only Ingsoc.
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Dry years and huge burns have created unprecedented demand for lot clearing work. Larger scale clearing of burned trees, limbs and rush is mission almost impossible. My 20'landscape trailer fills up far too fast and is difficult to unload because the limbs interlock.

So a hydraulic dump trailer makes a lot of sense for someone wanting to provide lot/acreage clearing services. Covid cut my income in half so a trade looks to be a possible approach. I have a 2012 Palomino truck camper that I found is not ideal for me. It would be a great for a small family that generally avoids interstate travel. Why? My gas mileage went from 14mpg to 8mpg going from Georgia to Colorado. It is big and heavy which forces a different rpm range. I bought a teardrop camper and that works better for a single traveler.

My questions:
1) Recommended dump trailer for brush removal? Truck has a 488- can handle heavy loads well. Also has rear lockers and front posi so traction is excellent.
2) Is clearing lots a decent lifestyle with the right equipment? Clearing my own lot is satisfying due to the constructive nature. But it seems a bit risky profession at times.
3) Is trying to trade truck camper for a dump trailer even worth trying? I don't remember ever trading anything before - except cash for goods. Guess cra****st might work if anything does.

Note - not many dump trailers for sale unless one wants to buy new.

Checkout PJtrailers.com they will have everything you need if your serious about wanting a nice dump trailer. We run 2-16’ lo profile ones and they Great, heavy duty and we clear brush, logs just about everything with them, even been known to move some skid steers and mini excavators in them

Dry years and huge burns have created unprecedented demand for lot clearing work. Larger scale clearing of burned trees, limbs and rush is mission almost impossible. My 20'landscape trailer fills up far too fast and is difficult to unload because the limbs interlock.

So a hydraulic dump trailer makes a lot of sense for someone wanting to provide lot/acreage clearing services. Covid cut my income in half so a trade looks to be a possible approach. I have a 2012 Palomino truck camper that I found is not ideal for me. It would be a great for a small family that generally avoids interstate travel. Why? My gas mileage went from 14mpg to 8mpg going from Georgia to Colorado. It is big and heavy which forces a different rpm range. I bought a teardrop camper and that works better for a single traveler.

My questions:
1) Recommended dump trailer for brush removal? Truck has a 488- can handle heavy loads well. Also has rear lockers and front posi so traction is excellent.
2) Is clearing lots a decent lifestyle with the right equipment? Clearing my own lot is satisfying due to the constructive nature. But it seems a bit risky profession at times.
3) Is trying to trade truck camper for a dump trailer even worth trying? I don't remember ever trading anything before - except cash for goods. Guess cra****st might work if anything does.

Note - not many dump trailers for sale unless one wants to buy new.

What kind of truck do you have? 488 engine and 2 rear axles?

I know Dodge had the V10 8.0L for a while. If that's the case, 8mpg isn't bad.

Yes - the 8L with one axle. I tend to drive way too much - 8mpg takes a toll. I get almost 30 pulling a teardrop behind a Prius.
8-10mpg with the Dodge V10 is normal.
I had a 2nd gen 2500 with 24v Cummins.
It didn't get a ton better fuel mileage. Averaged 13mpg with a ~ 7000lb trailer from Idaho to Alaska.
My 08 5500 Dodge with 6.7 Cummins gets 10-11mpg as well.

8-10mpg with the Dodge V10 is normal.
I had a 2nd gen 2500 with 24v Cummins.
It didn't get a ton better fuel mileage. Averaged 13mpg with a ~ 7000lb trailer from Idaho to Alaska.
My 08 5500 Dodge with 6.7 Cummins gets 10-11mpg as well.
62% better gas mileage is much better. 64mph at 8mpg at 2.50/gallon is $20/hour. Would be OK but I just can't stay at a campsite. I like to see states.

For what you’d pay for a nice dump trailer might be better to look out for a 550, or 5500 with a dump bed. We had a 99 550 7.3 zf6 and it was pretty fuel friendly for its weight. Had to go to 22.5” alcoas for highway speeds though. It’d be yellin at ya doing 65 beforehand.

Latest posts

Back