Trailer needs some work

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tilt trailers are nice to have, as long a weight distribution is correct every time you load something. Other wise the front latch is always under pressure to keep the bed horizonal. Axle placement is going to be the same whether the bed is fixed or tilt. The hinge on the bed will have to be so the bed will stay up but be easy enough to push down by hand for towing when not loaded. Never built one myself, but have considered it a few times.

I happened to see one of these today:
screenshot_20190808-124749_kindlephoto-2809874401-png.752030

Love the design, I had drawn up something simular bet wasn't sure how the suspension would affect the tilt. Instead of having the tilt point in front of the spring mounts like the online plans I found, this one pivots on the center suspension rocker mount. These trailers retail for $7000-$10000. I plan on having less than $2000 in mine.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190808-124749_kindlephoto-2809874401.png
    Screenshot_20190808-124749_kindlephoto-2809874401.png
    151.2 KB · Views: 38
I've owned several store bought 6-7K car trailers and the one thing they have in common is angle iron sides and not real frame to speak of. They are super flexible. As far as the decking goes I've had steel and wood, the wood is nothing more than kiln dried spruce, pine of fir (spf) from the lumber yard with some stain of some sort thrown on it. Southern yellow pine (treated lumber) is pretty tough and should hold up fine as long as you aren't skidding broken hulks of wrecks on and off. As far as hauling dirt/gravel be careful, that stuff adds up in weight fast. You'll be lucky to haul 2 yards which isn't much. You may be money/time ahead to have it delivered if you need any amount.

Back